Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:32 am

wonder-ass wrote:
LaserSaysPew wrote:Cool story, bro. Any actual arguments though?

they have given you many counter arguments on why your idea is stupid and wont work yet your still acting stubborn like your idea is a golden ticket.

I'm acting like I want to think about my idea and adjust it. Not everything is completely right or completely wrong.
And "your idea that is supposed to fix Problem A is bad because it doesn't fix Problem B which it is not supposed to fix in the first place" is not an argument.
"Too carebear" is also not an argument when the guy goes silent after I asked him to produce a carebear situation.
Siege and alt, breaking the road are arguments, yes. And I replied to them and got a "funny" condescending repsonse.
LaserSaysPew

Postby jordancoles » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 am

PVP toggles

Lol
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 am

jordancoles wrote:
PVP toggles

Lol

From that awesome quote I have a feeling you didn't bother to read so I can kindly provide you with tldr if you want.

Just to be clear, here's a situation.
We meet in some field. Suddenly. You're thirsty for blood, you've got more stats and are more eperienced fighter than I am. What happens?
Right now: you aggro me and try to kill me, while I either try fighting back or flee in hopes of getting to my base faster than my shp drops to 0, right?
PvP states: You've got yours ON, my pvp state is OFF. What happens? What would be the difference?
LaserSaysPew

Postby jordancoles » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 am

LaserSaysPew wrote:PvP states: You've got yours ON, my pvp state is OFF. What happens? What would be the difference?

Just the entire scenario?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 am

No.

You run. You don't try to fight.

There are very few situations where you can end up in a fight unwillingly already. Social engineering is your worst enemy in that regard.

Effectively there already is a PvP toggle and replacing it with one which is as easy as pressing a couple of buttons instead of requiring a more substantial investment of player time and skill solves nothing.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 am

jordancoles wrote:
LaserSaysPew wrote:PvP states: You've got yours ON, my pvp state is OFF. What happens? What would be the difference?

Just the entire scenario?

We meet in some field. Suddenly. You're thirsty for blood, you've got more stats and are more eperienced fighter than I am. What happens?

That's the scenario. I'm just trying to say that it's not really a pvp toggle. Cuz the answer is: nothing changes. You still aggro me with my pvp state OFF just like you would aggro me right now. And I still fight back or try to flee to my base. No protection for me from PvP state OFF and no downside for you from PvP state ON. No carebear.

Jalpha wrote:No.

You run. You don't try to fight.

There are very few situations where you can end up in a fight unwillingly already. Social engineering is your worst enemy in that regard.

Effectively there already is a PvP toggle and replacing it with one which is as easy as pressing a couple of buttons instead of requiring a more substantial investment of player time and skill solves nothing.

And so it's not really replacing anything. Nothing changes in that regard. Not a real PvP toggle that gives protection or some cost.
LaserSaysPew

Postby LostJustice » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:23 am

LaserSaysPew wrote:don't have a slightest idea

I've noticed. Maybe think about the full picture. What it solves. What it actually changes. How it actually affects people. Original purpose of the game.

Your adding a toggle which only prevents people from going somewhere which doesn't sound like a good idea in general. The safe Palis are still there. That is the major issue. Your solution doesn't solve it. Not to mention a lot of ways to get around the issue or people will be able to circumvent it.
LostJustice

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 am

LostJustice wrote:
LaserSaysPew wrote:don't have a slightest idea

I've noticed. Maybe think about the full picture. What it solves. What it actually changes. How it actually affects people. Original purpose of the game.

Your adding a toggle which only prevents people from going somewhere which doesn't sound like a good idea in general. The safe Palis are still there. That is the major issue. Your solution doesn't solve it. Not to mention a lot of ways to get around the issue or people will be able to circumvent it.

Helloooo?! We're not talking about some random idea. This is the alternative to gates doing THE EXACT SAME THING. "Preventing people from going somewhere". Devs described that problem in the opening post. And proposed gate idea. I am giving an alternative that does the same with one exception. It doesn't fuck up hermits, sprucecaps and other people in the process. The ones that are not able to defend themselves and will lose even slightest protection of their nearby walls cuz they simply won't be able to get into their bases if attacked. Or, if the gates will have different types, most likely they will open the one with no visitor debuff, run in with their chaser and still get KOd but now the attacker is inside without visitor and can loot them/wait to KO again, pretty much raids them with no cost.
So how about you yourself try thinking? At least a little bit. The game is too carebear, I'm not arguing that. But the change with gates will have 2 effects.
1: Big strong guys that are the reason for that change will have to adjust their fighting tactics.
2: Small and weak guys will lose even the glimmer of hope to get to their bases and hide there if they are attacked, they either can't or nearly guaranteed to run in with the guy they are trying to run away from.
So here comes the double gate system or, more precisely, triple gate: inner visitor gate and 2 outer gates. That way they are still KOd and looted but at least they won't let enemy into the base itself. What happens next? Player interaction drops. Is that good? Not for me, personally. Maybe you do want to loot weak guys easier, raid the ones that didn't build 2 gates, etc. But I see it as a problem. And that's why I'm trying to suggest an alternative. I'm not saying it's great, perfect and polished idea. But maybe, just MAYBE, it is worth to consider.
LostJustice wrote:Your adding a toggle does sound like a good idea in general.

Thx for your support. See, I can take words out of context too! Yay!
So, also let's sum up your arguments: rage alts abuse just like it is going on now. Completely irrelevant but I guess you couldn't think of anything better. "Thank you" to a guy that said about carebear. Which means you agree with that and for some fucking reason saw carebearing in there somewhere but still neither you nor that guy managed to provide me with an example of that awful awful carebearing with pvp state. And now you just said some generic phrases about seeing the big picture. No facts, no thoughts. Just a fortune cookie level of insight. And then you argued about the change itself(gates and pvp state alike since they both do the same). Ok, maybe on that part you're right and there shouldn't be a system that blocks gates. But if there must be one to fix forts, I'd very much rather it would some system that doesn't make the weaker population of players pay for it.
LaserSaysPew

Postby AntiBlitz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 am

i dont need to argue shit, 100% guaranteed, no shitty toggle is going to be added, end of story. So im not going to waste my time. Find a better idea, and abandon that garbage, its dumb.....
AntiBlitz

Postby LaserSaysPew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am

AntiBlitz wrote:i dont need to argue shit, 100% guaranteed, no shitty toggle is going to be added, end of story. So im not going to waste my time. Find a better idea, and abandon that garbage, its dumb.....

Yet you waste your time writing this response. I doubt it would take you a lot more to write a simple situation that advocates your carebear argument. But yeah, you're right, no need to waste on that, jorbtar most likely won't consider it at all, especially since I am like an idiot arguing for it alone.
LaserSaysPew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements