Game Development: Frog Scholar

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Frog Scholar

Postby Redlaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 am

To me this credo feel better if it was a nomad add. its not mystical in nature... that is my main issue with it. really. Nomad is a pain in the butt to do... but its not you settling down and well doing studies. It almost feels a lead into mystic not the other way around.
Redlaw

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:19 am

loftar wrote:
kimjungskill wrote:I mean, serious question, if you're not going to make it balanced what's the point of even putting dev hours towards adding it in the game? If deeper credos, especially after hard ones like mystic, don't offer reward for their trouble then you essentially have unused content.

That's exactly what I'm questioning, though. I mean, sure, I get that you perhaps wouldn't get Mystic just for the sake of getting Scholar. But if you have Mystic, what is the argument against getting Scholar too?
Time invested vs credo usefulness.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Aceb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 am

loftar wrote:
kimjungskill wrote:I mean, serious question, if you're not going to make it balanced what's the point of even putting dev hours towards adding it in the game? If deeper credos, especially after hard ones like mystic, don't offer reward for their trouble then you essentially have unused content.

That's exactly what I'm questioning, though. I mean, sure, I get that you perhaps wouldn't get Mystic just for the sake of getting Scholar. But if you have Mystic, what is the argument against getting Scholar too?

So, if I recall it's 10 quests per credo, so it would be 19 credo, so 190 quests, without adding all the previous one, that depend on number of credos someone did without a suicide credo alt?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:25 am

Ardennesss wrote:Time invested vs credo usefulness.

Well duh, but, in theory at least, there are diminishing returns for all character development. You spend more time and effort leveling Unarmed Combat from 10000 to 10001 than you did for 10 to 11.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Redlaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 am

loftar wrote:

Well duh, but, in theory at least, there are diminishing returns for all character development. You spend more time and effort leveling Unarmed Combat from 10000 to 10001 than you did for 10 to 11.

ya but only the most nutters players go that far, this does feel mroe of a step up to that. It be like saying thsi needs pearl diver and cave hermit to do cause they are the hardest set of credos to do in the game and this is something that fits more in line with getting to that poont then the other way around. Might as well make this need pearl diver and cave hermit... at this time.

But what do I know I am just a lowly player.
Last edited by Redlaw on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redlaw

Postby pawnchito » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 am

Nice update.
pawnchito

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:36 am

Redlaw wrote:It be like saying thsi needs pearl diver and cave hermit to do cause they are the hardest set of credos to do in the game and this is something that fits more in line with getting to that poont then the other way around.

Well, as I said, I am quite open to the idea that we over-conditioned it (in particular, there's probably a case to be made that Scholar depending on Mystic is a bit weird lore-wise), and will consider changing that. But I still question the idea that there needs to be inherent power creep in deeper credos.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kimjungskill » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:38 am

loftar wrote:

True, but the difference between something like stats and credos is that credos don't scale potentially infinitely. I'm not saying I'd 100% never get it, but if you factor in prioritizing other more valuable credos, by the time you get around to doing 100+ of what I'm going to assume would at least partially include mystic-like quests, it just won't be worth the minor LP gain you could gain. You can even argue that doing normal quests with any modest amount of charisma would gain you a much better LP gain.
kimjungskill

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 am

nice credo, boosts curio LP/hr x2 by magic, x1.5 by study report.
+ saving time and resources on curio
but still not near to charisma+questing lp\hr
and still uselees to eat INT after 300 (mb study report size based on INT? or LP gain based on INT?)
ctopolon4

Postby Redlaw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 am

loftar wrote:
Redlaw wrote:It be like saying thsi needs pearl diver and cave hermit to do cause they are the hardest set of credos to do in the game and this is something that fits more in line with getting to that poont then the other way around.

Well, as I said, I am quite open to the idea that we over-conditioned it (in particular, there's probably a case to be made that Scholar depending on Mystic is a bit weird lore-wise), and will consider changing that. But I still question the idea that there needs to be inherent power creep in deeper credos.

To me though its not a power creep issue, its how it flows. Making something overly challenging to get and not make sence (not how strong it is). Its like saying somerhing bizarre should be easy to get cause its bizarre with out making sense. Cave hermit makes sense, pearl diver makes sence. They do give advantages, but its flavorfull not just hard to get. The mystic arts feel something a scholar would do, not something a mystic would suddenly want to study in when its something they should have known from the start. Why would you want to start mystical stuff like mystic if you are not a scholar? Its more a bit role-play like. But that is the point credos can be that and make more sense, power level aside.

Its not the power creep with me, its what would be done before the other really. To me it look better if it was nomad-scholar-mystic but that is just me.
Redlaw

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements