Game Development: Frog Scholar

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Frog Scholar

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 pm

vatas wrote:“We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?”

— Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Best writing in a computer game.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby razfen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Hand-bashable palisades when
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby SaltyCrate » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Regarding bonuses of Scholar credo here are my thoughts:
jorb wrote:
  • Intelligence +15, Lore +15

I understand to a point the necessity of simple filler-type bonuses, and stat bonuses usually fill that role in various credos. However, it seems Scholar being at least 7th credo means that this bonuses would be obsolete in any scenario I could've thought of. Even with stat inflation fixed somehow and in a brand new world. I think, you could literally buff these values by 10 times (to +150/+150) and it still won't be something to be much excited about, as I estimate one would have at least 300-400 natural inteligence by that point and you don't need that much more anyway.

jorb wrote:
  • Small chance to avoid consuming studied curiosities.

So it is functionally equivalent to usual doubling crafting bonuses when only applied to crafting curios. It is fine but feels as "meh" filler as well. Unless having a certain number of filler bonuses is sought after, I believe it could be replaced by something cooler.

jorb wrote:
  • 'Contemplation & Meditation' cost reduced by half.

AFAIK the main usage of 'Contemplation & Meditation' right now is to quickly convert unneeded amounts of XP to LP by spaming it on long-time curios. And this bonus doubles the efficiency of such method. I, personally, don't mind it much, but I am surprised that you would endorse it. In the event that this was unforeseen consequence, then this feels lackluster as well, and I would rather see something different there. Maybe acces to some new Hearrh magic which fits Scholar thematic.

jorb wrote:
  • Extra row and column on your study table.

jorb wrote:Feel free to suggest changes.

I have expectations of many people finding the distinction between study table and study report unintuitive in this particular case. This bonus also feels weak. The change to this that I would prefer would be to make size of study table scale with quality for holder of this bonus. For example, at q40 study table would gain 1 extra column, at q90 - extra row, at q160 - 1 more extra column, at q250 - 1 more extra row and so on. Even at absurd qualities this won't break anything, but will add extra convenience and add integration with quality system. Simpler version would be to be to allow holder build a new fancier study desk version, which would require more exotic materials but is significantly larger (about 12x12 at least I would imagine). As a bonus it adds a piece of new-looiking furninture for larpy purposes.

jorb wrote:
  • Ability to create Scholarly Accounts.

It seems this is intended to be main reason to bother obtaining this credo. However, being unclear on what exactly limits are, I also share a concern that after a certain point this bonus will simply stop working. And thus making this credo more unattractive to begin with. Apart from that, I also share a feel that the ultimate ability (and maybe credo overall) is not cool/thematic enough compared to what feels like it could/should be.
SaltyCrate

Postby VDZ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:53 pm

SaltyCrate wrote:Apart from that, I also share a feel that the ultimate ability (and maybe credo overall) is not cool/thematic enough compared to what feels like it could/should be.

I agree with this. For special pottery, you go to a potter. You go to the blacksmith for better metal and you ask the tailor if you need good equipment. But the scholar can't do anything useful for anyone despite all his wisdom. I would expect the scholar most of all to be the go-to guy concerning matters of wisdom. His only benefit being production of curios is underwhelming.

Plus, by the time you're a scholar you'll likely be putting most of your LP into UA/MC, which...doesn't feel particularly scholarly.
VDZ

Postby Ag_Revol » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Make Kebabs Great Again!
W6-8 - Hermit
W9 - Amish Paradise
W10 - Amish Paradise then Hermit
W11 - A.D.
W12 - Lawspeaker of Avalon
W13 - Konung of Norsca
W14 - Konung of Norsca
Ag_Revol

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 am

I saw

Title wrote:Frog Scholar

I thought

MagicManICT wrote:Shocked Frogs!! Finally!!!

Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:31 am

MFW they add shocked frogs Image
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Vigilance » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:09 pm

When I read the title of the thread I was hoping the credo would be more of a gimmicky meme and not a power-creep sort of one.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Dakkan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Vigilance wrote:When I read the title of the thread I was hoping the credo would be more of a gimmicky meme and not a power-creep sort of one.

Luckily it was neither!
Dakkan

Postby Lyrroth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:04 am

is it true that this update secretly made critters changed in their interaction with horse, that those survive because someone was mad at hedgehog?

sneaks triumph again?!
Lyrroth

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements