Game Development: Frog Scholar

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Frog Scholar

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 am

jorb wrote:... pretty cool hat, though, right?

Have you thought about extending the little tail so it always connects into the wearer's head?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am

Granger wrote:

Have you thought about extending the little tail so it always connects into the wearer's head?

But if it's your own brain how do you explain the second set of eyes?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Fostik » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am

Hey devs, i understand you're making a good content for the game, but can you decrease a penalty for taking multiple credos?
It's very hard to get new ones, im literally will need to spend tens of hours for questing, and weeks of realtime waiting for them.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Tiberium » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 am

Great update guys, it looks awesome!
Tiberium

Postby Ag_Revol » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

Interesting concept indeed, I like it. However it's true that credo multiplier is too strong, acquiring new ones is literally impossible, especially if you can't waste entire days on it.
P.S. Everyone whining about new credo being not as OP as they thought it should be can spend their time making more useful ones :)
No, really, it's not like you lose every other credo you have by time, it just makes your character even MORE strong :|
Make Kebabs Great Again!
W6-8 - Hermit
W9 - Amish Paradise
W10 - Amish Paradise then Hermit
W11 - A.D.
W12 - Lawspeaker of Avalon
W13 - Konung of Norsca
W14 - Konung of Norsca
Ag_Revol

Postby VDZ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:37 pm

I was initially interested in the scholar credo as it sounded cool, but looking at the credo tree this would have to be your seventh credo even if you rushed straight into it. With how credos become more difficult to get as you have more credos, this makes it incredibly hard to get. This is even worse when you consider what the credo actually does: All the things it offers relate to accelerating character growth, but you can't get it until after you've already been playing for a long time at which point the benefit is somewhat redundant.

As for credo quests in general, in my experience there's a massive difference in difficulty between quests. Some quests are incredibly easy (chip X of common stone Y) while others are a lot harder or more time-consuming (study curio X Y times). I think it would be a lot less frustrating if quest difficulty was more balanced.

loftar wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:Time invested vs credo usefulness.

Well duh, but, in theory at least, there are diminishing returns for all character development. You spend more time and effort leveling Unarmed Combat from 10000 to 10001 than you did for 10 to 11.

Yes, but raising my Farming from 20 to 21 doesn't cost tons more because I already raised my UA to 100, and it especially doesn't require me to reach 100 UA before I can even start raising Farming. Credos being dependent on other credos is interesting in concept, but in its current implementation it's frustrating when getting to the credo you want requires you to perform tons of quests for credos you're not interested in but for which you are punished in character growth.

loftar wrote:It's the study desk. Clearly, there's no room in the user interface for an extended Study Report. ;)

This seems weird to me. Why is study desk size a characteristic of the character, and not of the desk itself? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have super fancy expensive special study desks with more capacity as is the case with, for example, chests? I would expect a scholar to be able to study more, not be more skilled at efficiently arranging items on his desk to be able to stuff it full of trinkets.

That all being said, I feel the Scholar credo is currently missing an application of knowledge component. All of the perks involve getting wiser faster, but you're still not any wiser than a farmer who studied a lot of curios. Could we have Scholars get access to some information currently not accessible? Perhaps they could estimate character stats on seeing people, get better information on animals in combat, estimate locations of landmarks and settlements, inspect quality of nodes without performing the activity usually required for it, etc?
VDZ

Postby sMartins » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 pm

jorb wrote:From the first curiosity all knowledge took flame.

Yes, indeed.
Nice one.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Tati » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Cool Implementations, thanks.
Tati

Postby Dakkan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:14 pm

VDZ wrote:
loftar wrote:It's the study desk. Clearly, there's no room in the user interface for an extended Study Report. ;)

This seems weird to me. Why is study desk size a characteristic of the character, and not of the desk itself? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have super fancy expensive special study desks with more capacity as is the case with, for example, chests? I would expect a scholar to be able to study more, not be more skilled at efficiently arranging items on his desk to be able to stuff it full of trinkets.

I didn't even think of that, yeah it is weird that a credo selectively changes a piece of furniture. Why not just implement a fancier study desk indeed! Or, aesthetically, create a more rugged-looking one for the base 4x4 space and use the current model for the improved 5x5 model?

Excellent hat. I like the metal design and screws. At first I thought it might be some fancy NygmaTech!
Dakkan

Postby vatas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:21 pm

“We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?”

— Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements