Game Development: Apiary Cupcake

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Apiary Cupcake

Postby neeco » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 am

jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.
[*] Added Wild Beehives. Some trees now have Wild Beehives in them, similar to ant nests, which can be raided for loot, but beware the swarms! As a consequence of this, you will now need to make many more expendable alts for honey and wax gathering.

hmm.
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

Postby MooCow » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 am

Can you please add a couple patrolling bees around the hive? (in addition to the current ones that spawn inside)
Then make it so the patrolling bees are aggressive, but don't agro the entire hive

I think it would be a great improvement to the current state of the death bees.
MooCow

Postby DatSheep » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 am

lmao i kinda agree with the cupcake hat seemingly made out of a description of a cupcake and nothing else. still yummy looking but funny. and WHY does beehives merit mistletoe showing up on the map jorb? not getting that part :P
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby maze » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:11 am

What level of player does a player need to be to be able to do beehives. so far I'm seeing need's horse and 100+ con.

first try with my noob and he got WREAKED and still got nothing to show for it.

raiding does not seem to be the same like on ants. I keep trying to raid, and noting happened other then 1 bee per sec to fight per sec.
Last edited by maze on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:14 am

I'm pretty excited about this change! :D
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 am

Are beehives supposed to constantly spawn bees? I attacked the hives, killed the bees, raided the hive and immediately got attacked.
So I tried running away, coming back, and raiding the beehive while the spawn was trying to catch up. It spawned new bees.

This seems... not operating as intended?
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby DatSheep » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Are beehives supposed to constantly spawn bees? I attacked the hives, killed the bees, raided the hive and immediately got attacked.
So I tried running away, coming back, and raiding the beehive while the spawn was trying to catch up. It spawned new bees.

This seems... not operating as intended?

huh, seems so. sucks that theyre not as noob-friendly as ants apparently either. rip noobs domesticting bees i guess...
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:41 am

VDZ wrote:
jorb wrote:Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • The Scholar credo no longer depends on the Mystic Credo

Small fixes, he said. This is a pretty huge change that probably makes Scholar a lot more viable.

Eh, the gardener one is the way more problematic requirement.
DDDsDD999

Postby loftar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:48 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Are beehives supposed to constantly spawn bees? I attacked the hives, killed the bees, raided the hive and immediately got attacked.

It is intended to be spawning bees while it is being raided, but there may be a case to be made that it's doing so a bit too deterministically right now. Will look into that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 am

So a few encounters with bees and some time to ruminate led me to the following conclusion:
Bee respawn timers have a ridiculously low minimum. So low in fact that it is literally impossible (in at least one instance) to defeat the hive fast enough to harvest the hive. This doesn't mean *I'm* not fast enough, I'm fairly certain it was literally impossible. The time between initiating the fight with the bees, finishing that fight, and attempting to harvest led to an immediate respawn of two more patches of bees. When I did the run away and return tactic I again got another faceful of bees on TOP of the ones I've already fought. I got nothing against wicked evil bees being not noob-friendly, but when the respawn timer means that even if I one-shot the bees there STILL wouldn't be time to harvest it seems problematic. I suspect (though I may be wrong) that this is a bit further than was intended. If I was wrong, I can live with that, I just want to know that some hives aren't meant to be harvested at all with the current tech available. (Smoking Cans at some point, perhaps?)

loftar wrote:

It is intended to be spawning bees while it is being raided, but there may be a case to be made that it's doing so a bit too deterministically right now. Will look into that.

Thank you for the quick response to this.

Beehives that have no guardians is fine too, seems a little imbalanced and odd for that to be the case given they still give decent rewards for a noob (especially if it were a brand new world). That being said there shouldn't be bee larvae or any other (are there other?) bee related goods garnered from a beehive that has no guardians. The bees have apparently left, and the hive should (theoretically) be empty of living bees in this case.

I still like this addition, I stand by that statement and feel it's been a long time coming. I appreciate that there was consideration of "This shouldn't be trivial given its intent" in its design. It seems like some tweaking and balancing is still required though.
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements