Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:57 am

loftar wrote:
loftar wrote:the """problem""" of not being able to put down carried things when mounted.

Also, thoughts on formally making it so that things cannot be carried while mounted, as a reasonable form of compensation for the benefits of being mounted? ¦]

I mainly use my horse for questing and hunting the faster animals, it seems quite reasonable to me that I can carry home my prey on my horse or bring home something interesting I may come across whilst questing when dragging a cart with me would be impractical.
I wouldn't mind too much if you added some other form of compensation such as increased stamina/pony power drain or losing the ability to sprint.

Also, when you consider other means of transportation such as being able to teleport home with a cart, boat, or worse, knarr full of cargo (!) it seems a bit unfair to target being able to lift one item whilst on a horse. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby strpk0 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:12 am

Yeah, let's overbalance things that don't need balancing meanwhile kneecapping any sort of fun that can be had while playing the game, and creating tedium and problems where there needn't be any, and simultaneously ignoring the real balancing issues in the game.

Should also make it so there's a high risk of falling off a horse and getting a 100-250 concussion wound on your character, or possibly breaking your neck and permanently paralyzing your character. Also nerf horse speed to 1/5th the current value. Also remove boats. And horses.

And it's pretty painfully obvious to anyone that shubla is trolling and only agrees with terrible suggestions like that out of sarcasm, or out of spite towards all of the people that would have to deal with a craptastic change like that.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby zebratul » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

Carrying logs, boxes, chests, wheelbarrows and other heavy lifting via horseback should obviously stay. Maybe it can be removed if you could pull carts via horses, but carts get stuck on every goddamn pixel possible either way. It's a huge QoL thing, without horse power the life would be ever more tedious.
Any crafting while on horses could go, sure, but i don't see much coming out of it, doesn't really matter.

Entering building/caves via hitbox aligning seems fishy (seems like it isn't an intended mechanic, given that simply clicking on a door will get you stuck). Maybe this should be fixed?
zebratul

Postby Kaios » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:20 am

loftar wrote:Also, thoughts on formally making it so that things cannot be carried while mounted, as a reasonable form of compensation for the benefits of being mounted? ¦]

Arguably this is also a road-related issue. Road travel makes carrying objects long distances a much easier task than would normally be the case if you had to physically travel that distance via horse and cart or horse and wagon. I don't think this means you should allow for carts and wagons to fast-travel along the road too but rather should re-think fast travel altogether which is obviously another point of contention with the player base.
Kaios

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 am

loftar wrote:Also, thoughts on formally making it so that things cannot be carried while mounted

Do iiiiiiit.

Kaios wrote:I don't think this means you should allow for carts and wagons to fast-travel along the road too but rather should re-think fast travel altogether which is obviously another point of contention with the player base.

I agree with this so hard... The hopes of them just flat-out eliminating all forms of teleportation being removed is too much though, especially that Knarr "teleport to dock" BS. All I want is for roads to be eliminated and the speed boosts from horses and vehicles be treated as fast travel. I've never understood the need for poof-teleport fast travel when we have 'gallop horses' fast travel.

Amanda44 wrote:Also, when you consider other means of transportation such as being able to teleport home with a cart, boat, or worse, knarr full of cargo (!) it seems a bit unfair to target being able to lift one item whilst on a horse. :)

You're right, they should fix all those problems and not just the one with horses.

pheonix wrote:As i was discussing with my team mates why dont you expand the horse features rather then nerf them? give horses strength so we can use them like plow horses or ways to harvest faster using a horse or pull bigger carts (not wagons coz the ui is terrible pulling things out quickly). This way you dont nerf horses but Expand upon them and add an end game stage of breeding plow horses.

See, this I agree with, with an obvious exception. Horses should be able to be used to plow (3 wide animal-drawn plow?), carts, and the inventory of a wagon being a balance between the strength of the horse and the quality of the wagon (With an obvious upper limit so we don't get Q1000 black holes of holding).
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:54 am

nerfing the thing everyone is used to and loves isnt a good idea.

stop nerfing things that dont need nerfing.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Granger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 am

wonder-ass wrote:nerfing the thing everyone is used to and loves isnt a good idea.

stop nerfing things that dont need nerfing.

While hyperbole always helps a discussion moving forward, especially when your arguments are weak, you might have noticed that there actually is disagreement about what needs nerfing.

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Kaios wrote:I don't think this means you should allow for carts and wagons to fast-travel along the road too but rather should re-think fast travel altogether which is obviously another point of contention with the player base.

I agree with this so hard... The hopes of them just flat-out eliminating all forms of teleportation being removed is too much though, especially that Knarr "teleport to dock" BS. All I want is for roads to be eliminated and the speed boosts from horses and vehicles be treated as fast travel. I've never understood the need for poof-teleport fast travel when we have 'gallop horses' fast travel.

I disagree with roads being eliminated (they should be reworked in a way that leads to less littering by reuse being incentivised, leading to a more natural road pattern than what we have now), but I fully agree with getting rid of teleportation along them.

Amanda44 wrote:Also, when you consider other means of transportation such as being able to teleport home with a cart, boat, or worse, knarr full of cargo (!) it seems a bit unfair to target being able to lift one item whilst on a horse. :)

You're right, they should fix all those problems and not just the one with horses.

This.

I see the need of having the ability to quickly wrap up a session for RL reasons, hence I support the argument that it should be possible to quickly retreat (including the assets in play)... Though I think that (even when being used to exploit this aspect of the game myself at an industrial level) it shouldn't be possible to execute this repeatedly as a routine operation to speed things up by teleporting goods in bulk, not even late(r) game (= character shouldn't be able to simply drink away the debuff like it was possible in legacy).

pheonix wrote:As i was discussing with my team mates why dont you expand the horse features rather then nerf them? give horses strength so we can use them like plow horses or ways to harvest faster using a horse or pull bigger carts (not wagons coz the ui is terrible pulling things out quickly). This way you dont nerf horses but Expand upon them and add an end game stage of breeding plow horses.

I have nothing against horse pulled carts with higher capacity and I agree with the wagon/knarr interface, compared to boats and carts, being unfun.

Animal driven plows could be fun, though the need for them is basically zero as claims protect against decay of plowed tiles. Would be different in case roads would actually benefit from pavement.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby DPblH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

Moving and lifting objects should cost real money. No discuss.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am

DPblH wrote:Moving and lifting objects should cost real money. No discuss.

+9001
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Adder1234 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 am

Maybe as a compromise, make it so that instead of saddle bags, you can place one liftable object on the horses back? However you need to get off the horse to take the object off or put another one on.
Adder1234

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements