Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Postby Aceb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 pm

You're all focusing on how nice a fast travel is, but all of You forget that if haven ever make it big, the world will be a lot bigger and thus, should a player waste several hours of game, just to travel from point A to B, especially if He is suppoused to carry a cargo, while there is A TON OF DIFFERENT STUFF TO DO?

I would just limit how far one road can go, so instead of having a big road from A to B, make it from A -> C -> D -> E -> B.
Lifting with a horse is a very core thing. It speed ups nicely chores like carrying a chopped tree farm around as example.

Also, don't forget that if You attack someone, there's no way of them fast traveling unless they escape. I see it fair enough.

@edit sorry for double post below but I was thinking that I'm editing last post
Last edited by Aceb on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Aceb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

However if You're stubborn on that then here what I came up with:

- Dont nerf being able to lift, carry and drop on horses
- Nerf wooden roads in a shape, that there's limited numbers of extenstion possible with also gives debuff that last:
1) Using road on foot >> 6 seconds * number of Wooden signs = Time of debuff
2) Using road on horse >> 4 seconds * numer of WS = ToD
3) Using road on Wagon with a bull >> 4 seconds * NoWS = ToD
4) Using road on Wagon with a horse >> 3 seconds * NoWS = ToD
Possible expansion with 2 bulls or 2 horses
Unable to use another road until debuff wears off
Remove or heavly nerf waylaid abroad or makes it time dependable from the obstacle

This might lead to creation of Inns or outputs between roads
Stone road sign should be just longer and have bigger radius than wooden signs (those should get a little buff between each too)
Realm cairns being also road sign of it's own kind

Completed Dirt path between two signs doesn't decay and decrases ToD by 15% or something
Completed Gneiss* path between stone roads doesn't decay and decreases ToD by 30%
Completed Grey Brick* Path between kingdom cairns doesn't decay and decreases ToD by 45%

Traveling for kingdom cairns cost 25XP each time for non-oathed hearthlings and 50XP for other kingdoms hearthlings

*Different material could perhaps different benefits, like decreasings ToDs for wagons or bulls or horses together or separately

Also, that would be nice if wagons could be used as leantos in that matter but with time period only and have a new bed that is worse than the current we have but can't be lifted
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 pm

roads also should cost "travel weariness"
ctopolon4

Postby DatSheep » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Aceb wrote:
loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:Spending the whole life on a horse - while farming, cooking, crafting, mining, whatnot - on the other hand is IMHO silly and should get the axe.

That has been my thought, too.

Farming - on a horse has almost 0 benefits, just use satiety of a horse a bit faster
Cooking - wasn't that disabled sometime ago or smth?
Crafting - Where's problem with that lel, it helps a lot to move from point A to B to craft something
Minning - many prefer not to mine on a horse just to have time to escape from troll

It is somewhat unique for Haven.
Please don't take that way.

Amanda wrote:I mainly use my horse for questing and hunting the faster animals, it seems quite reasonable to me that I can carry home my prey on my horse or bring home something interesting I may come across whilst questing when dragging a cart with me would be impractical.
I wouldn't mind too much if you added some other form of compensation such as increased stamina/pony power drain or losing the ability to sprint.

Also, when you consider other means of transportation such as being able to teleport home with a cart, boat, or worse, knarr full of cargo (!) it seems a bit unfair to target being able to lift one item whilst on a horse. :)

I agree with both of these statements. Also whoever said auto-dismount has a point for certain actions started whilst on a horse. I wouldnt mind farming causing you to get off your horse, although as I see it with my experience, staying on a horse is partially due to laziness, since I was already riding it to get around my town faster and whatnot. It's work to always have a rope in my inventory and then tether it somewhere if that's possible while doing chores. ¦]

If autodismounts happened it wouldn't be a huge deal so long as I know my horse wont escape which is my responsibility. Just shouldn't happen for everything, I guess. And yeah, I'm hoping the bigger projects in the pipeline or the client render re-write itself will help carts move smoother so that we all wont just carry shit on horses cause faster and less clipping. In the end i dont mind reasonable nerfs but i dont see how disallowing carrying anything on horseback a good thing at all.
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Aceb wrote:You're all focusing on how nice a fast travel is, but all of You forget that if haven ever make it big, the world will be a lot bigger and thus, should a player waste several hours of game, just to travel from point A to B, especially if He is suppoused to carry a cargo, while there is A TON OF DIFFERENT STUFF TO DO?

Someone has obviously never played a freighter pilot in EVE.... :lol:

ctopolon4 wrote:roads also should cost "travel weariness"

I honestly do not know what it is this way. Even traveling to your hearthfire cost weariness in legacy, but it would never prevent you from the HF, just as a penalty for other forms of travel (crossroads, port to village).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Someone has obviously never played a freighter pilot in EVE.... :lol:

Yep, but I consider space and big scrap of earth being very different and EVE probably has some for of fast travel (not insta travel) I guess?
Aslo, never played it since that type of SCI-FI is out of my pleasure reach.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby strpk0 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Or we could just, you know, make actual changes to the game instead of worrying about dumb, inconsequential shit that harms nothing and only adds convenience to playing the game? Here, I don't even play the game anymore but even I can throw some pointers in:

- FEP system is stupidly broken and has been for the longest time
- Quest system is stupidly broken and has been for the longest time

You people that are the "everything needs to be balanced and must make 100% perfect logical sense" type need to remember that this is haven, not a MOBA. Relax. It's a game, learn to have fun with it and enjoy the unique aspects of it. "Balancing" things is not nearly as beneficial as most people seem to suggest, almost as if it's an obsession of theirs.

Yeah, doing literally everything on a horse is undeniably retarded, but so what? Every game has "retarded" mechanics that actually make them fun to play. Stuff like bunny hopping or rocket jumping for example, why should that be a thing? Shouldn't every game that features rocket jumping be "balanced" and have the "intended consequence" of insta killing you, as it would in real life? Of course not, because that's fucking boring, and rocket jumping is fun. So why do stuff like that to haven, constantly kneecapping fun and harmless features for no benefit in return other than "muh realism"?

Being able to move faster and do things more efficiently on a horse is fun, it doesn't need "balancing". Same thing happened with crossroads, everybody got on a high horse and vehemently argued that crossroads were literally hitler and needed to be exploded from the game, thus ending up in their removal. Only to then realize that it's, of course, a terrible idea and nobody is willing to spend hours of their time walking to places to do stuff, hence why they returned in a more tedious and neutered form shortly after.
Last edited by strpk0 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby dafels » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I agree

- FEP system is stupidly broken and has been for the longest time
- Quest system is stupidly broken and has been for the longest time

pause the client rewrite, give us some real updates and fixes
dafels

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 pm

strpk0 wrote:Or we could just, you know, make actual changes to the game instead of worrying about dumb, inconsequential shit that harms nothing and only adds convenience to playing the game? Here, I don't even play the game anymore but even I can throw some pointers in:

It's a convenience in the game when players can play effectively and the mechanic can't be abused. It's a hindrance when the mechanic actually enables people to do things they probably shouldn't be able to do, such as access the entire map with minimal effort. (Note: the effort is in setting up the road networks and accessible charterstones used for teleportation.) Where that falls for Haven, I don't know. It's a small world compared to what it Would be if it were the size of EVE.

strpk0 wrote:You people that are the "everything needs to be balanced and must make 100% perfect logical sense" type need to remember that this is haven, not a MOBA. Relax. It's a game, learn to have fun with it and enjoy the unique aspects of it. "Balancing" things is not nearly as beneficial as most people seem to suggest, almost as if it's an obsession of theirs.

I think the argument is silly, too, but for entirely different reasons. Priorities are important to get correct, but that doesn't make a flaw any less of a flaw.

And nobody is trying to say this should play like a MOBA. (it does, though, doesn't it?)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Aceb wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Someone has obviously never played a freighter pilot in EVE.... :lol:

Yep, but I consider space and big scrap of earth being very different and EVE probably has some for of fast travel (not insta travel) I guess?
Aslo, never played it since that type of SCI-FI is out of my pleasure reach.

I was just going to PM this and not discuss EVE anymore, but I think it sums up my feelings about the current "fast travel" system.

For those that have played EVE more than just dabble, you know the size of ships, scope of operations, and time it takes to move goods. It's also been some of the sources of great stories on the forums where a convoy was ganked or a contested shipping lane spawned a war. They might have some fast travel systems (jump ships), but there's no easy or fast way to move bulk goods... at least compared to here. And the map is comparatively sized, too, with the amount of time it takes to get from one side to the other.

I will say some of that slowness is what eventually turned me off from EVE, but this is entirely the opposite. Trading is only dangerous because you can get scammed (and probably won't). I know there's a lot of larpers here who want that safe game, but I came to Haven because it wasn't safe. It was dirty and exciting. Now... I feel bored. Even the sieges seem boring when you filter out the hormonal rages.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements