Game Development: World 11

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 11

Postby Hitzukii » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:11 pm

SumFaggotPlayTester wrote:I would also like to add onto what Vatas said with the addition of we just had a big change in the game: Seasons. I'd imagine they want to iron them out a bit and see how they go for a little longer as we're only into our second winter currently.

I just had a talk with my husband about it, isnt the winter the worst season to be at when being a new player?
We have started just recently, and we find eachother stuck not being able to find any good resources..
My husband has 15x20 Perception and Survival, and doesnt find anything..
Roll initiative to run!
Hitzukii

Postby SumFaggotPlayTester » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Unfortunately at this time there are only a few solutions around starting in winter, and all of them require time. Time and pain. Lots of pain.
I. Dig up the snow of a 100x100 grid that is either a forest or similar that will spawn taproots. I'm honestly not sure if stinging nettles spawn in winter. So far I've seen more river muscles than nettle in areas without snow or ice.

II. This is a pain in the ass but can help the most. Search for ruins of villages or personal claims. The reason this is the most painful in winter is due to the map being pitch white. This can either be quick or take longer than digging up all of that snow to try and spawn things in.

III. Locate neighbors. Signs of activity during winter would be fireplaces with embers, tar kilns smoking, dead animals in the area, or living animals. Leaving a sign or rune stone with your hearth secret to contact them and see if they can help. Most people are friendly enough but this can also be dangerous. Then again starting out in winter can be less of a risk if they are hostile. Worst they can do is say no with infinite possibility of help otherwise.

IV. This is quite possibly the easiest option. In realm chat ask for help. Find your location on the map and use that to judge the distance you will need to walk. Ocean access can help you get around at this time in a dugout but be mindful of the very deep ocean as it will destroy your boat and drown you.

Though if possible I'd recommend your husband get his exploration and perception combining into 1,000. This will give you access to seeing all cattails (Excellent early game string), candleberries (Can be turned into wax.), and waybroads (Can be used on deep cuts and turned into a better healing item.). If you have ocean access at this time, and a personal claim with around twenty to fifty drying racks, I would heavily recommend fishing drying fish fillets to get your intelligence, perception, & strength up. The new food system will make doing so a lot easier for all of you. But overall if you do not have a claim, home, or anything at this time then the best you can do is wander around in search of ruins or helpful people; and try and set something up.
loftar wrote:On the other hand, there's also a case to be made that we're all faggots down here and all deserve to be treated as such and that we all just revel in that anyway.

Quit letting companies make free shekels off of you; install UBlock today. Or better yet kick Google in the balls and install AdNauseam.
SumFaggotPlayTester

Postby MadNomad » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Hitzukii wrote:
SumFaggotPlayTester wrote:I would also like to add onto what Vatas said with the addition of we just had a big change in the game: Seasons. I'd imagine they want to iron them out a bit and see how they go for a little longer as we're only into our second winter currently.

I just had a talk with my husband about it, isnt the winter the worst season to be at when being a new player?
We have started just recently, and we find eachother stuck not being able to find any good resources..
My husband has 15x20 Perception and Survival, and doesnt find anything..

hunt bats, they are quite weak (and bat wings have good lp/h if you compare it to other cheap things)
or you could just ask someone to give you things
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:41 pm

I think one of the single most useful things you could donate to a newbie would be frying pan since it allows them to make so many new foods. Almost all of them do require farm produce but even without them it allows crafting of Autumn Steak (stinging nettle counts as salad green.)

You need to give them material account of frying pan (or directly teach it) too because 'discovering' the frying pan is required to learn recipe that use it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Finding hard metal (iron or bronze) and making a frying pan is probably easier than many of the other tasks needing accomplished during the winter.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby tyrtix » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:25 pm

also you need to make the pan yourself or the food options from it won't be discovered.
tyrtix

Postby WESKERBOY » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:18 am

no restart?
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Postby jock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:16 am

WESKERBOY wrote:no restart?