Game Development: Jelly Kebab

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Jelly Kebab

Postby Granger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Regarding questgivers: @jorb please read viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60707 - from which I'll shamelessly plug this:

Granger wrote:I think it should simply move into another boulder or tree nearby. This would make it impossible to kill them, unless one clears the whole map of trees and boulders.

While at it: they shouldn't like being owned, thus simply relocate in case they get claimed (similar as when their object gets destroyed).

jorb wrote:I also don't think they should simply move to other trees and lose all identity.

Granger wrote:That depends on how one views them: in case they're a spirit inhabiting a stone/tree it would be no problem, in case you see them as the object itself (in the way of being a benign twist on tree from 'the evil dead') then you might come to a different conclusion.

I take it that you see it more from the latter perspective, thus are inclined to rather keep the displesantries that come with the current hands-off approach. But maybe you could listen to your users that, abnormally for discussions about changes on this forum, seem to wholehearthly not only agree that 'keep-as-is' isn't what's best for the game (from a players perspective - which, should you need the refresher, are in the end the ones that have to like it as they're a source of food for your children) but also agree on a reasonable way to modify them so the unfun downsides are adverted?

(emphasis added)
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MadNomad » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 pm

does the kebab roll food item have millions of possible FEP combinations?
MadNomad

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 pm

MadNomad wrote:does the kebab roll food item have millions of possible FEP combinations?

given the types of meat... It's almost as large as the number of possible poker hands in 7 card draw.

Actually, it's probably larger. I'd have to sit down and work it out given you can have 0-8 of any one of the 42 meat types.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Liking kebab, appreciate a use for bulk mystery meat other than sausages. Love seeing numbers like ".00075 +1 dex" and stuff like that as a consequence of variable ingredients. Something about it is really amusing.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Ysh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

MadNomad wrote:does the kebab roll food item have millions of possible FEP combinations?

Should be 9,682,651,996,416 combination I think. 42 type of meat and you must pick 8 with duplicate allowed, maybe it is 42^8 to solve this.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:58 pm

MagicManICT wrote:

given the types of meat... It's almost as large as the number of possible poker hands in 7 card draw.

Actually, it's probably larger. I'd have to sit down and work it out given you can have 0-8 of any one of the 42 meat types.

Ok, I had to look this up because it's been forever since I've done combinatorial math for statistics. A normal combination doesn't allow repeats (say a lottery or poker hand). Here, you can repeat any choice, and it was the part I had forgotten. The formula isn't any harder, just different. It's

(r + n - 1)! / r! (n - 1)!
or
(8 + 42 - 1)! / 8! (42 -1)! = 49! / 8! 41! = (49 * 48 * 47 * 46 * 45 * 44 * 43 * 42) / (8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2)

If I did it right...

Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Hrenli » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Yes.

Ignore what nerds wrote. :-)
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Hrenli wrote:Ignore what nerds wrote.

You and my kids both... sheesh.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Reminds me of how shuffling a standard 52-card deck most likely results in creation of a never-before seen combination of said cards.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:39 pm

vatas wrote:Reminds me of how shuffling a standard 52-card deck most likely results in creation of a never-before seen combination of said cards.

And with that level of randomness, it could almost be completely secure....
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements