A salute to Moltke (or, migrating the Legacy server)

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

A salute to Moltke (or, migrating the Legacy server)

Postby loftar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm planning an upgrade to the server hardware to address some of the lag issues that have been present since the wipe. As a fore-runner to that, I'm first going to migrate the Legacy server to new hardware. This migration serves two purposes, in that:
  • I'd feel good about doing a test run, to see what bandwidth I can expect during the migration process and prepare a bit of a check-list; and
  • We're still paying the original monthly price for that server, which is quite overpriced compared to the hardware that is in it and what Hetzner's current offerings are, so as to offset the increased price of the new main server, it feels reasonable to migrate the Legacy server to something quite a bit cheaper (it's still an upgrade in terms of hardware, which is really superfluous for that server, given the load on it).
In part, this thus serves the purpose of announcing some downtime for Legacy Haven while the migration is in process (for the few who care). However, much more importantly, we initially ordered this server, which is named in fond memory of Generalfeldmarschall Helmut Karl Bernhard, Graf von Moltke, back in November of 2010, so it has been with us since World 3 and has served us admirably since then through some ups and downs. Particularly worthy of mention is perhaps that the lags through World 6 was not the hardware's fault, but a system software issue, so please don't be a bully and blame the hardware for that. With the migration, this server will be decommissioned, and so I offer this salute to Moltke, for eight years of excellent service!

For anyone curious, the hardware configuration is a Core i7 920 with 12 GB RAM in three channels, and 2×2 TB HDDs.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: A salute to Moltke (or, migrating the Legacy server)

Postby Hrenli » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:07 pm

What's the current H&H server's name?
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby loftar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Hrenli wrote:What's the current H&H server name?

It's Ansgar, after the Apostle to the North.
loftar

Postby dullah » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:09 pm

and current hafen server configuration ? :>
i asked in another thread but no answer
dullah

Postby loftar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:14 pm

dullah wrote:and current hafen server configuration ? :>

It's a Xeon E3-1271v3 with 32 GB of ECC RAM and 2x2 TB HDDs. The main purpose of the upcoming upgrade is to add SSDs into the configuration, as the current lag seems to be primarily I/O-bound. To be honest, however, I'm not entirely sure why the I/O situation got so much worse with the wipe. My naïve guess would be that there's just a greater constant write load to the disks due to the combination of higher user numbers and larger map, but I'm not sure that explains the difference compared to World 8, which had somewhat comparable initial user numbers and a much, much larger map.
loftar

Postby dullah » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

2x2 TB, i guess theses are SATA 7.2k disks then ? (or called "nearline SAS" on some brands of servers)
dullah

Postby Saxony4 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 pm

loftar wrote:It's Ansgar, after the Apostle to the North.

Ansgar was a product of the phase of Christianization of Saxony (present day Northern Germany) begun by Charlemagne

Reeee

Hopefully the upgrade will help facilitate bigger and better things in the future.
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby borka » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

I'll be patient ... tyvm moltke you served me well :)

Given the low numbers on legacy it's justified to "shrink" the server ... ty for keeping it running :D
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby loftar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:55 pm

borka wrote:Given the low numbers on legacy it's justified to "shrink" the server ... ty for keeping it running :D

While it would be, as I said in the OP, it's actually still an upgrade in terms of hardware. I was originally planning to replace it with one of Hetzner's cloud servers (which would have been a downgrade), but adding the required storage to it turned out to make it more expensive than a dedicated server.
loftar

Postby Fostik » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm

loftar wrote:For anyone curious, the hardware configuration is a Core i7 920 with 12 GB RAM in three channels, and 2×2 TB HDDs.

Very interesting, and what is configuration of current infrastructure for H&H? I've tried to ask Jorb on solo streams about it but he said that's not interesting thing :lol:
I suppose you have mutch more servers now to host H&H, because server side became more demanding to resources and storages. Cant even imagine database tables structure

Added:
Sorry, my question was answered above
Last edited by Fostik on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Next

Return to Announcements