New launcher, replacing JNLP

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: New launcher, replacing JNLP

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 pm

VDZ wrote:In most games, the inventory doesn't auto-show because the inventory is less relevant; you can fight, talk to people, jump across obstacles etc all without ever opening the inventory; in that sense, it's a lot like Haven's Equipment window which you don't need until you manage to craft some equipment.

Let me clarify: other MMOs and such where inventory is a key part of the game--WoW, EVE, Connan, Everquest, etc.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 am

I also checked on my x86_64 tablet (Win10 Home x64) and my home PC (Win7 Ultimate x64), doing the same as before (except on my alt account, currently playing on my main) and everything worked fine.

Vivaldi did give me this warning upon downloading the .jar though:
But it also does this for the .jnlp and for .exe files. (Work PC and tablet used Opera, which gives no warning.) Not sure if other browsers are annoying like that, but I would guess that this behavior originates from Chrome.)

MagicManICT wrote:
VDZ wrote:In most games, the inventory doesn't auto-show because the inventory is less relevant; you can fight, talk to people, jump across obstacles etc all without ever opening the inventory; in that sense, it's a lot like Haven's Equipment window which you don't need until you manage to craft some equipment.

Let me clarify: other MMOs and such where inventory is a key part of the game--WoW, EVE, Connan, Everquest, etc.

Again: In those games (save for maybe EVE), the inventory is not nearly as relevant as in H&H. Try starting those games and see how long you can meaningfully play without every opening your inventory; you'd be surprised how much of the gameplay remains intact without knowing how to access your inventory and without knowing you are picking up/otherwise using items. You don't need your inventory to get your first quests or kill your first monsters. In Haven & Hearth, on the other hand, everything starts with crafting a stone axe. Without using items, there is nothing to do except wandering around and possibly getting your shit kicked in by a boar if you're ill-informed about what H&H is and think you've encountered a low-level mob. That's why the inventory is so much more important at the very start in H&H than in other games. (Also, do those games allow for meaningful item collection without auto-opening your inventory? Auto-opening the inventory is common in item transfer UI.)
VDZ

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 am

VDZ wrote:But it also does this for the .jnlp and for .exe files.

Indeed, as I think most browsers do. Shouldn't be a downgrade from JNLP, and it's arguably reasonable that browsers warn you before running files that can execute arbitrary code.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby eliminoid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 pm

That jnlp thing didnt work for me properly anyways, this new launcher is 100x times better.
Works perfectly, win10 home.
Hi
eliminoid

Postby Stoneface » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Tested on Win 7 64 professional works perfectly after a very brief download. :ugeek:
Stoneface

Postby jorb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Custom client makers: Prepare for this if you need to. We want to start using this.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks to all who tested the launcher, by the way. It seems safe enough to push it whenever.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sigilius » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:49 am

I'm old and hate change.

But I switched to the new launcher and now I stay erect longer.
Sigilius

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm

I wonder how long it takes until they add some certificate thing to run jar files. With jnlp files I had to click yes 2 or 3 times and maybe even add the domain explicitly as a security exception.
With jar, there is nothing like this currently.
If jnlp files were that difficult to run, why wouldnt they do same to jar files soon?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 pm

shubla wrote:If jnlp files were that difficult to run, why wouldnt they do same to jar files soon?

JNLP required HTTP to connect to an external 3rd party download server, which is why this reared its ugly head. Given most jar files are "locally run" or on an intranet, there's little need or desire for it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements