New launcher, replacing JNLP

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: New launcher, replacing JNLP

Postby borka » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 pm

.jar works fine on W7x64 ... with java in environment variables it even starts by doubleclicking ... ;)

I guess the main reason for the end of jnlp is that it's not used that much anymore as Java Web Start as a browser extension is considered just another possible security flaw to avoid ...

Everyone who wants to play HnH needs to have Java installed anyways so deploying the client via .jar is a proper way ... and aslong you wouldn't want to include the runtime there's no need for something like Getdown ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

borka wrote:I guess the main reason for the end of jnlp is that it's not used that much anymore as Java Web Start as a browser extension is considered just another possible security flaw to avoid ...

Java Web Start isn't a browser extension, though, and has never been. Browsers simply treat JNLP files as any other kind of executable file that you've downloaded.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby yozzik111 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Runs well on osX. Nice and smooth.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby borka » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:02 pm

loftar wrote:Java Web Start isn't a browser extension, though, and has never been. Browsers simply treat JNLP files as any other kind of executable file that you've downloaded.

yes and no ;)

You need to enable "Activate Java content for Browser and Web Start Applications" in Java CPL ... on Windows this installs the browser extension - you can't have one without the other there ... you can't even use just the Cache Viewer to start it without

But anyways ... .jar is fine :)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Just reporting in that I was able to launch the game via the .jar, log in, go into the character creation room and dig up clay/pick stuff from trees just fine. (At work, so I'm not gonna test further at the moment.) Win10 Pro x64.

By the way, I noticed the inventory window isn't open by default in the default client. Isn't this confusing for newbies when they first acquire items and can't see them until they found the right button among many? It's a super basic functionality you need immediately from the start.
VDZ

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm

VDZ wrote:(At work, so I'm not gonna test further at the moment.)

That's more than fine; as long as the client launches fine, I wouldn't expect there to be any new kinds of errors further into the game.

VDZ wrote:(By the way, I noticed the inventory window isn't open by default in the default client. Isn't this confusing for newbies when they first acquire items and can't see them until they found the right button among many? It's a super basic functionality you need immediately from the start.

Perhaps. I also appreciate having as little UI as possible to start out with, though. Will ponder.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Yoran » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:49 pm

On Win 8.1 (x64) works well.
Know thyself
Gnothi seauton
Yoran

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

VDZ wrote:By the way, I noticed the inventory window isn't open by default in the default client. Isn't this confusing for newbies when they first acquire items and can't see them until they found the right button among many? It's a super basic functionality you need immediately from the start.

Can you name a variety of games where this is the case? I can't say I can think of a single one. 'b'ags, 'i'nventory, and 'tab' are all pretty standard ways of accessing inventory in most other games. If one of those three don't work, then someone was probably over thinking the interface or really needed all three of those keys for more important functions.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Redlaw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Its running on my windows 10 machine, musics choppy here and there. But that is about it, its working. Took a bit to load but its working well, likely will speed up if I used it more.
Redlaw

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
VDZ wrote:By the way, I noticed the inventory window isn't open by default in the default client. Isn't this confusing for newbies when they first acquire items and can't see them until they found the right button among many? It's a super basic functionality you need immediately from the start.

Can you name a variety of games where this is the case? I can't say I can think of a single one. 'b'ags, 'i'nventory, and 'tab' are all pretty standard ways of accessing inventory in most other games. If one of those three don't work, then someone was probably over thinking the interface or really needed all three of those keys for more important functions.

In most games, the inventory doesn't auto-show because the inventory is less relevant; you can fight, talk to people, jump across obstacles etc all without ever opening the inventory; in that sense, it's a lot like Haven's Equipment window which you don't need until you manage to craft some equipment. The only games I can think of where items are as relevant as in H&H are games like Minecraft and Terraria, where items go into your hotbar slots first (and stack there) and you're not likely to run out of visible item slots before having found the inventory menu by checking out your options (often wanting to craft before getting your 11th unique item). (More importantly, though, the 'items to hotbar slots' feature lets the player know they're collecting items through their action, which is feedback that's currently missing in H&H, and the 'item under cursor' feature may instead lead to confusion about how items work.)
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements