Game Development: Rhyme of the Ancient Seamark

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rhyme of the Ancient Seamark

Postby loskierek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 am

yea would be cool if islands had unique kingdom bonuses but only when colonised to make them worthwhile conquering + the colony stone should be much easier to destroy and it should be expensive that factions have to pick and choose islands they really need
loskierek

Postby Eiteri » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am

jorb wrote:
SnowWiggles wrote:Too bad there are no dogs. That would be super cool if you could tame them and then they follow you around like your buddy

Hmm. True that. We can add wolf taming now. Should get on that.

Poodles? Chihuahuas?

You have just recently added wolves and you already want to domesticate them. The following updates will be about a dog house, a dog bowl, dog food, dog excrements, etc. all for dogs. Whereas in the game there are horses for 1000 years, but they can’t make them saddle and harness for a horse. The most obvious that could be. How long do you need to live so that they appear at last?)
Eiteri

Postby pppp » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 am

Hose wrote:
jorb wrote:Poodles? Chihuahuas?

German Shepherd please.

+1 German Shepherds being first ones since they look most similar to a wolf.
But then why not implement a few more races, giving miniscule chance that an offspring will belong to a new race. So we can have a whole tree of races and reaching each branch will require thousands animals being born to get that single chance. Then offspring from a mixed pair (ancestor + new one should give small but realistic chance, like 10% for new animal of the new breed). Wolves caught in the mountains may lead to more hairy dogs (see right tree in the second image below).

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4717304564
There is much more in the paper linked.
pppp

Postby pppp » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am

Multiple people wrote:'Any Metal' is too cheap

Setting a foot on a new continent should be between half and full coronation stone cost, given how much costs it cuts compared to setting up a vassal kingdom.
Alternatively amount of border cairns built off a single seamark should be limited, so cheap claiming applies only to small islands rather than to whole continents.
pppp

Postby Lojka » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:14 pm

i think main point is, that it will be hard to defend this seamarks that are far away from kindom, while you travel to it - someone already will bash it
Lojka

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Lojka wrote:i think main point is, that it will be hard to defend this seamarks that are far away from kindom, while you travel to it - someone already will bash it

At least you're unable to wall them in.

But I wouldn't be surprised in case they'll just be needed as a seed for 'normal' realm cairns and are completely irrelevant thereafter...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Kaios » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Kaios wrote:
jorb wrote:Added "Seamarks". Seamarks are a Realm Authority object which can only be built on shallow ocean tiles. Once a Seamark has been constructed within your Realm, you are allowed, once every 48 hours, to place a new Seamark anywhere in the world, without having to first connect your Realm to that point, thus allowing you to spread the Realm across oceans. Fun times!

Y doe?

Dude wtf could we get an explanation as to why you decided to allow realms the ability to go all the way across the map with no connecting point to expand their realm claim? I’m just a bit confused about the logic behind creating separate continents with access to different resources, etc., limiting player’s abilities to effectively travel or expand to those continents but then you add this sea mark garbage. Does not compute.

I am not a fan of tentactle expansion but I thought you might rather incentivize or force players in to expanding their realms in a more efficient manner which you or loftar had expressed in the past, instead you do this though which is just a seemingly odd choice after all these implementations that I thought were intended to limit a faction’s ability to expand across the map.

Also I thought another intent was to give more time to smaller villages to have a chance to get realms up too but I don’t see how that will be possible for most now given the timeframe between placing sea marks.

Granger wrote:
Lojka wrote:i think main point is, that it will be hard to defend this seamarks that are far away from kindom, while you travel to it - someone already will bash it

At least you're unable to wall them in.

But I wouldn't be surprised in case they'll just be needed as a seed for 'normal' realm cairns and are completely irrelevant thereafter...

This will be the most common place scenario now, set the sea mark somewhere it is least likely to be noticed and then further expand via cairns because they are cheap as fuck and so are the sea marks apparently.
Kaios

Postby rye130 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Yeah I was expecting floating bouys or something to expand realms over water. Could even have made a realm buff that reduces the damage sea vessels take.
rye130

Postby jorb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm

The idea was that realms should be able to expand across oceans, quite simply. I would not have believed that to be controversial. Costs can certainly be discussed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Expanding across the ocean is fine, I don’t mind that at all. The controversial part is allowing players to expand anywhere without a point of connection, why?! I suppose one reason could be that having buoy type cairns could also allow someone to block off access points on water.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements