Game Development: Loving Lobster

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Loving Lobster

Postby Granger » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:11 pm

KitsuneG wrote:So many complains about knarr changes.

And still noone found a lobster? I guess there some problem here. Checked a lot of traps and different places, and not only i do it. Bait eaten but never catched anything yet.

I catched a plaice, using a Lobster Pot baited with Chum Bait, in salt water...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby bmjclark » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:52 pm

dafels wrote:It is a problem of current design of the combat system that combat system practically boils down to a stat check. It would be good if there would be a chance for lower stats characters to bring down high stats characters, therefore, you could participate in combat even when you have life outside of the game. I could see that more complexity being added to the combat system could solve this problem, one of good things in this combat system in this regard is combat meditation with what it is possible to bring down higher stat characters.

Bring back advantage, make haven great again
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm

bmjclark wrote:
dafels wrote:It is a problem of current design of the combat system that combat system practically boils down to a stat check. It would be good if there would be a chance for lower stats characters to bring down high stats characters, therefore, you could participate in combat even when you have life outside of the game. I could see that more complexity being added to the combat system could solve this problem, one of good things in this combat system in this regard is combat meditation with what it is possible to bring down higher stat characters.

I kinda did like how if you were winning a fight, it tipped the scale in your favor. Not sure how that would play out in the current system though, IIRC doing any damage back in legacy gave you advantage so idk what that would look like now, quick barrage 5 times for full advantage?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 pm

i think anyone that pvps in this game would agree with you, only problem is how do you balance it to the point where people cant just run around with 1ua 10 attribute fighters and competing against people with 1k stats. more skill based moves would be nice (evil eye at the exact same time as the enemies move to double their cooldown etc etc) would add some skill to this game rather than kito flex kito flex kito flex.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 pm

wonder-ass wrote:i think anyone that pvps in this game would agree with you, only problem is how do you balance it to the point where people cant just run around with 1ua 10 attribute fighters and competing against people with 1k stats.

I think adjusting how the delta is calculated would be a big change that could be looked at. It should be possible for 4-6 lesser statted characters to take down a higher one, but not at the difference you mention here, and that could be one of a few possible changes to see that this isn't abused.

more skill based moves would be nice (evil eye at the exact same time as the enemies move to double their cooldown etc etc) would add some skill to this game rather than kito flex kito flex kito flex.

Even not being involved in PvP I'd like to see this. Hunting is exciting for the first few weeks until you get to the point it's just spamming the same thing over and over again just like in WoW.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
bmjclark wrote:

I kinda did like how if you were winning a fight, it tipped the scale in your favor. Not sure how that would play out in the current system though, IIRC doing any damage back in legacy gave you advantage so idk what that would look like now, quick barrage 5 times for full advantage?

My thought would be to bring back the moves that gave advantage but leave out the damage gives you advantage thing. In legacy i fought a guy with like double my UA and agi in a basement for an extended period of time without moving cause i spammed seize the day and he didnt try to push the advantage back from it. Pretty sure if i fought 1v1 without moving now against someone with higher stats than me i'd probably just get my shit pushed in with no recourse because this system really lacks any complexity.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby whts » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Update today?
whts

Postby DatSheep » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:13 pm

they havent said otherwise i think
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm

bmjclark wrote:In legacy i fought a guy with like double my UA and agi in a basement for an extended period of time without moving cause i spammed seize the day and he didnt try to push the advantage back from it. Pretty sure if i fought 1v1 without moving now against someone with higher stats than me i'd probably just get my shit pushed in with no recourse because this system really lacks any complexity.

I loved the number of weird things you could do in legacy. NPNG was my (everyone's?) favourite, probably, although people caught on to that one at some point.
Also, seize the day had a beautiful graphic :)
Combat is really boring now, as someone who doesn't fight in a group. I get that group combat requires skill in a different way, though
_Gunnar

Postby dafels » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:40 pm

There should be extra dimensions next to the attack/defence shit to play around in combat rather than just spam flex/kitos and cleave. I would also like that you cannot see the opponent's maneuver like you can now, that alone would make combat way trickier with combat med...
dafels

Previous

Return to Announcements