Game Development: Loving Lobster

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Loving Lobster

Postby Headchef » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:54 am

Well it's at least not another BIRD.

Anyway please also look into troll boulder throwing mechanics..
Headchef

Postby Grog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Granger wrote:
Tarzan wrote:Now we just need to fix knarr combat because thats still broken AF.

I have to admit that I was saddened that jorb didn't get a live demonstration, because everyone else would very likely have gotten one.

jorb wrote:Uh... I think my intention was to make it so that you could always hearth home. Will fix that.

You realize that you can as well remove the cost completely in that case?

both of this.
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby Kaios » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:23 pm

jorb wrote:Uh... I think my intention was to make it so that you could always hearth home. Will fix that.

Seems like that is exactly not the intention though? I thought you wanted to prevent knarrs from hearthing back from anywhere on the map which is mostly fine if at some point you add a smaller ship that is less costly to build than the knarr and holds less passengers and cargo but moves faster and costs less to get back home.
Kaios

Postby magisticus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Kaios wrote:

Seems like that is exactly not the intention though? I thought you wanted to prevent knarrs from hearthing back from anywhere on the map which is mostly fine if at some point you add a smaller ship that is less costly to build than the knarr and holds less passengers and cargo but moves faster and costs less to get back home.

You still will get (max) travel weariness so there is a cost to it.. but really spending two hours travelling across the map in one direction should be ample proof that you can do it - I think for most normal people there isn't a lot of fun in retacing your steps (and the game is meant to be fun?). We can imagine the hearthling did make the voyage..

I think that the ship you have described should probably be more costly to build than the knarr as speed is in most cases more important than passengers and cargo.. If less costly then you will just end up with the whole knarr-load of warriors each having their own version of the new ship but yes agree more ships a good idea.
magisticus

Postby Kaios » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm

magisticus wrote:I think that the ship you have described should probably be more costly to build than the knarr as speed is in most cases more important than passengers and cargo.. If less costly then you will just end up with the whole knarr-load of warriors each having their own version of the new ship but yes agree more ships a good idea.

Yes that’s fair I can agree about the cost, I really doubt most people are actually more concerned about the nomad credo than their ability to easily leave an area after killing players and as long as majority of us don’t get to effectively participate in that sort of content I’m all for making their lives more difficult in that regard. Realms got it too easy already, seamark allowing extension anywhere in the world and then oathing in people on those same continents to start building up cairns and so within such a short period of time since world start we are already playing the most fucking boring cairn bashing games together it’s really quite grand! Like wtf? I was very disappointed this patch didn’t address any of those things.
Kaios

Postby Agrik » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Please correct me, if I should have posted this in separate thread in C&I, but as I see discussion here... maybe Travel weariness should increase casting time, and that will make sufficient downside of teleport-travels? I mean, greatly increase, probably by square law (excuse me, if it's not the correct term), so teleporting home with near 100% weariness would take, don't know... half an hour of uninterrupted cast? While being totally possible.

I'm hermit, noob and don't know much of lategame/endgame though.
Agrik

Postby Aceb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh come on, Stop being like that. I don't wanna waste 3 hours of my life to swim back. Unless You wanna reduce players to play only on small areas. 100% TW cost is alright, You either use that or roads around.

And stop barking about "oh no, i got buttslapped and my enemy ported back...", wasn't there something about criminals not being possible to use dock returning?
Anyway, You wouldn't stop them normally, nor this update changes anything to that, so why complaining?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby boshaw » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm

The word home is misleading your judgement as to why this change happened. It shouldn't be that hard to see why he made this change if you simply think outside the box.
boshaw

Postby MadNomad » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Kaios wrote:add a smaller ship that is less costly to build than the knarr and holds less passengers and cargo but moves faster and costs less to get back home.

yes, it would be awesome if that was already added, I guess it is not hard to implement that if knarr already exists? just add a new model and change the stats for speed, cargo limit & other things

also allow us to move tamed animals with ships (like .... up to 8 animals on a knarr and a bit less on the other ship?)
MadNomad

Postby magisticus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm

MadNomad wrote:
Kaios wrote:add a smaller ship that is less costly to build than the knarr and holds less passengers and cargo but moves faster and costs less to get back home.

yes, it would be awesome if that was already added, I guess it is not hard to implement that if knarr already exists? just add a new model and change the stats for speed, cargo limit & other things

also allow us to move tamed animals with ships (like .... up to 8 animals on a knarr and a bit less on the other ship?)

I suppose a better alternative (in order to avoid making knarr irrelevant) would be to add options to upgrade the knarr, either with more sail, capacity for animals, cargo capacity, troop capacity etc, and of course customisable figureheads. Particularly given that sailing around in a knarr is going to constitute a significant proportion of gameplay time this world.

Aaaand there should be a Viking burial option.
magisticus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements