Game Development: Studded Rabbit

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Studded Rabbit

Postby Avu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 am

Jorb: "Do you know how many conflicting things I get PM'd to me on a daily basis? People complain about alot of things "

Everyone but seriously everyone: remove hunger and lp rewards from questing
Also everyone: just remove hunger

Jorb: "
I think the quest system was a great addition. Especially early world, I love that it gives me something to do, and a reason to be out and about, exploring and meeting trees, while I'm waiting for timers on various other things.

While I do hold the above, I also obviously recognize that the quests aren't particularly inspired, and with an established base I don't run many of them myself. I agree that this playstyle is probably punished a bit too much in terms of gains. Quests are a bit too necessary.I think the quest system was a great addition. Especially early world, I love that it gives me something to do, and a reason to be out and about, exploring and meeting trees, while I'm waiting for timers on various other things.

While I do hold the above, I also obviously recognize that the quests aren't particularly inspired, and with an established base I don't run many of them myself. I agree that this playstyle is probably punished a bit too much in terms of gains. Quests are a bit too necessary.

However. There's a very delicate balance to be struck, between being forced to wait on time gates, and being able to invest effort to progress faster. If you can't do the latter to any extent, it's, for example, never possible to catch up to those ahead of you, even if they slack off. Time gates are good because they provide a pause in frantic game play where you can just relax and do whatever you like, without feeling like you're falling behind. Effort induced progress is also good, because only having to wait for timers for every little thing is a bit soul crushing as well.

It's not an entirely trivial balance to strike, quite simply."

Result: don't even attempt to balance quests. Maybe throw a bit more RNG at it that will balance it. Worked great for satiations. Everyone enjoys those. :roll:

You want to keep the early game wandering about? Make first credo free to pursue. There problem partially mitigated. Replace hunger and lp rewards with stuff that is hard to get early on wax, dried hides, LEATHER, Ore, random high fep foods and people will still go visit them like crazy. Want to keep the system up in later game? Scale q of the rewards and give better rewards at more difficult quests on the chain: hard leather, fine feathers, gold, silver, meteoric ore etc... They'd still be nice and worthwhile but not mandatory for each player.

Also just remove hunger already.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Enjoyment » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:07 am

Just a side-note:

It's a good practice in game-dev to ask yourself two question, working on any balance changes:
"What mechanics ALSO depend on THIS ONE, beign balancing?"
and
"What can go WRONG with current changes?"
Both of them would save a lot of time for devs and a lot of nerves for players.

Also, implement lobsters finally
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby TurtleHermit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 am

Replace hunger and lp rewards with stuff that is hard to get early on wax, dried hides, LEATHER, Ore, random high fep foods and people will still go visit them like crazy.

From one side, as casual, I see that as an opportunity to get palisade day one! While it is handy, I believe it would kill my possibility for trade on this matter. I want this kind of stuff to stay as it is, without talking trees and stones giving You those resources like that.

I'm more fan of those ideas where You get a buff to LP/EXP/Hunger and so on, so on.

I'm very confused with the eating change. Can somebody really simple lay it out for me?
TurtleHermit

Postby Asgaroth22 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm

TurtleHermit wrote:I'm very confused with the eating change. Can somebody really simple lay it out for me?

Previously, eating a new food type (that you haven't eaten yet in this session) granted a variety bonus, which reduced the FEP bar length by a static amount (approx 0.632*sqrt(Your_Highest_Attribute)), which allowed for eating a ton of different berries, nuts etc. to lower the amount of FEP you had to gain to raise an attribute. With this change, the variety bonus is no longer static, instead it gives diminishing returns with each new food type you eat. It makes it harder to abuse the variety bonus, so you have to eat more high-FEP foods.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby TurtleHermit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:
TurtleHermit wrote:I'm very confused with the eating change. Can somebody really simple lay it out for me?

Previously, eating a new food type (that you haven't eaten yet in this session) granted a variety bonus, which reduced the FEP bar length by a static amount (approx 0.632*sqrt(Your_Highest_Attribute)), which allowed for eating a ton of different berries, nuts etc. to lower the amount of FEP you had to gain to raise an attribute. With this change, the variety bonus is no longer static, instead it gives diminishing returns with each new food type you eat. It makes it harder to abuse the variety bonus, so you have to eat more high-FEP foods.

Very thanks!
TurtleHermit

Postby DPblH » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Is nerfing anything is a new trend? Can you already break feasting to the ground, so we can go further and nerf something else? Set 300% hunger for every food and 100% satiations of all available food types with 100% chance for every piece of food with restoring for 1 rl month.
Last edited by DPblH on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby iamahh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:02 pm

wishing the next big thing is not a dungeon :P
iamahh

Postby Sarge » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:

I thought the variety bonus used to be that the FEP total required is reduced by 10% of the highest stat?
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby Asgaroth22 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Sarge wrote:I thought the variety bonus used to be that the FEP total required is reduced by 10% of the highest stat?

I was citing the wiki on that, since I never did the calculations myself, but the formula seemed legit.
EDIT: Done a quick test on my alt, and it seems neither the mentioned formula nor 10% are correct after the patch.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Amex32 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Reduced worm eaten apple dorp chance to ----> 0 ,and apples can no longer be stacked
Amex32

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements