Game Development: Mead & Cider

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mead & Cider

Postby Neon14 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:44 pm

I agree with this being lackluster. I was expecting a more significant change to hunger, I can't speak for everyone but this would have to be such a unique case for this satiation change to even benefit me--and I do all the mining. The goal when eating is to fill your energy bar, and gain stats. If I eat 3-4 onion skewers and my satiations for vegetables/meat gets destroyed to 20% or less, I'm not going to eat more onion skewers. Not even at 0%, not even just for the energy. Not even just roasted whatever-meat for energy. The point is I want to gain stats by consuming the food items that are made for the purpose of stats/energy. This is what you also intended, but is not working as intended. I would choose instead to eat something that isn't satiated that much, because I still want to be gaining stats. But then everything gets satiated in 3-4 food items regardless of variety and my "hunger" is destroyed anyways and the rest of the world that was smart and decided to not be a miner is leagues ahead stat-wise.

Why does it make sense that you receive more FEP's the more hungry you are? There's no extra nutritional value in food that I eat when I am hungry vs. food I eat when I am not. Think about it, IRL when you "gain stats" you are eating consistently of something. If I eat 5000 calories a day and it's all lean protein and carbs I'm gonna beef the hell up. STR +2 CON +2. I wouldn't starve myself for several days and then binge eat 20 pies and expect myself to be better off for it. And actually, if you put a feast like that in front of malnourished skinny boy farmer, they're gonna die. Actually die. Don't feed someone severely malnourished anything get them to a hospital people.

Consider removing hunger and replacing it with something that doesn't encourage binge eating and alts so much. I like all these energy-only food/drink ideas.
BigStronk
Neon14

Postby nosfirebird » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:21 pm

while for miners i agree its not enough but the hunger change with the addition to more drinks balances out the satiations. easy fix for the miners energy issue would be for mead to regen energy instead of stam tho it might make pvp unbalanced since you would be able to regen health 24/7
nosfirebird

Postby lordgrunt » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 pm

how does this change to hunger VS satiation solve anything. I'd get a ton of hunger trying to reach 0% satiation.
how about fep-empty, zero hunger food, strictly to regain energy. what would wrong with that? call it sugar, extract it from cane, sweet beets or distill honey, idc.
it's been said before, but this hunger system doesn't make much sense to begin with.
lordgrunt

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 pm

lordgrunt wrote:how does this change to hunger VS satiation solve anything. I'd get a ton of hunger trying to reach 0% satiation.
how about fep-empty, zero hunger food, strictly to regain energy. what would wrong with that? call it sugar, extract it from cane, sweet beets or distill honey, idc.
it's been said before, but this hunger system doesn't make much sense to begin with.

His example of the change was confusing. You dont have to get to 0% for fully reduced hunger. 50% satiation is 50% hunger, and so on. So you may eat more food, but your gain of feps to hunger is technically the same at any point.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Omnipotent » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm

So I have a question about how FEP gains are calculated now. I've done a few tests and I seem to be getting a lot less FEP than expected when satiated.

For example: I have a standard account character (no sub or verified, so 0% bonus).
Character is at 200% FEP gains and has a 74.94% satiation for the food he is about to eat. The food is supposed to give 2.57 FEP. With the bonuses he should gain 3.8519 FEP from eating the food (2.57 * 200% * 74.94% satiation).
The character then eats the food, and instead of getting the expected 3.85 FEP, the character only received 2.9 FEP (which is similar to what one would get if satiation was being multiplied twice in the calculation).

Are satiation's now being calculated two times in the FEP gain formula? Satiations seem to cause food to give far fewer FEP's than expected. Either the formula is different than this, or something is wrong.

lordgrunt wrote:how does this change to hunger VS satiation solve anything. ...

Somehow it ends up making less sense with each iteration. :lol:
Omnipotent

Postby loftar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 am

It is indeed true that the patch caused satiations to effectively count double. It was an unintended side effect of how the hunger mechanic is used to modify the FEPs. Will restart to fix.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dakkan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:56 am

loftar wrote:It is indeed true that the patch caused satiations to effectively count double. It was an unintended side effect of how the hunger mechanic is used to modify the FEPs. Will restart to fix.

CALLED IT.
Dakkan

Postby Mario_Demorez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:57 am

loftar wrote:It is indeed true that the patch caused satiations to effectively count double. It was an unintended side effect of how the hunger mechanic is used to modify the FEPs. Will restart to fix.

Uh uh uh I ate like 12 cbs of angler fish filets. Can I get a refund? You don’t have to check logs and shit I totally am telling the truth.
Mario_Demorez

Postby loftar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:57 am

Mario_Demorez wrote:Uh uh uh I ate like 12 cbs of angler fish filets. Can I get a refund? You don’t have to check logs and shit I totally am telling the truth.

Consider it done.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dakkan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:58 am

Dakkan wrote:
sabinati wrote:
Dakkan wrote:I've been mining throughout the update, and the new changes seem to fuck me over in regards to gaining the rare attribute point that I might have gotten otherwise. I don't get it.

Edit: I mean during refilling my energy (which must be done), the FEP gain is horrific now.

but they didn't change any aspect of FEP here?

Or did they?

They did.
Dakkan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements