Game Development: Mead & Cider

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mead & Cider

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Oddity wrote:So when are you deleting midges?

huh? ¦]
MadNomad

Postby rhzk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Waiting for new stream since last stream, Jorbo.
rhzk

Postby Glac1al » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 am

Might want to consider adding an option to freeze a satiation or all of them. Giving people energy while sleeping might also help with the miner problems. Sounds more balanced in terms of PvP and whatnot than energy-refilling drinks. Shoving cupboards of food every other hour to keep them at 0% doesn't sound too good, despite the introduced scaling being a fairly great idea.

Even adding a buff could help everyone that's behind in terms of stats to catch up, like getting 150-200% more energy when you're 'Well Rested' from 6-8 maybe more hours of sleep or something. Most of the foods accessible to starting out hearthlings have really bad energy/hunger ratios and anyone not alting is severely punished. I would suggest making cattails 0fep/hunger energy food if there's little ideas on that front.
Glac1al

Postby Xeldrin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am

Finally we can get our brew on! Thank you devs! :D
Xeldrin

Postby DatSheep » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Glac1al wrote:Giving people energy while sleeping might also help with the miner problems. Sounds more balanced in terms of PvP and whatnot than energy-refilling drinks. Shoving cupboards of food every other hour to keep them at 0% doesn't sound too good, despite the introduced scaling being a fairly great idea.

Even adding a buff could help everyone that's behind in terms of stats to catch up, like getting 150-200% more energy when you're 'Well Rested' from 6-8 maybe more hours of sleep or something.

This seems logical and fair enough. I thought for a while that beds restored energy and honestly that's not too much to ask for besides slowly healing wounds. I guess to avoid it being too broken you should make the gain f energy slow so that an actual rl 8 or 7 hours would replenish a large amount of energy.
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby Granger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:51 pm

DatSheep wrote:This seems logical and fair enough. I thought for a while that beds restored energy and honestly that's not too much to ask for besides slowly healing wounds. I guess to avoid it being too broken you should make the gain f energy slow so that an actual rl 8 or 7 hours would replenish a large amount of energy.
Beds should restore energy (and SHP) at least at the same rate as idling the character does.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm

DatSheep wrote:This seems logical and fair enough. I thought for a while that beds restored energy and honestly that's not too much to ask for besides slowly healing wounds. I guess to avoid it being too broken you should make the gain f energy slow so that an actual rl 8 or 7 hours would replenish a large amount of energy.

Beds do restore HP, and even when the character is <8000 energy. I'm assuming by "energy" you guys mean stamina, as a character only regains energy when eating. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what kind of mechanics you guys are trying to imply we should change to.

@jorb: we really need some game terms redefined.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Yuginelol » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 am

MagicManICT wrote:

Beds do restore HP, and even when the character is <8000 energy. I'm assuming by "energy" you guys mean stamina, as a character only regains energy when eating. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what kind of mechanics you guys are trying to imply we should change to.

They imply that sleeping should fill energy meter.
Yuginelol

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 am

Yuginelol wrote:They imply that sleeping should fill energy meter.

Where does it say that in the game? There's no tool tip on a bed. I don't recall any documentation for them anywhere except via the patch notes.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Glac1al » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:04 pm

MagicManICT wrote:

If there's any energy regeneration while idle, it's none that I know of. By energy in my post I was solely talking about energy, stamina isn't as much of a big deal as energy when you can carry several waterskins in your toolbelt. I am confident that energy restoration while sleeping is a fairly balanced idea, due to the fact people that want to raise their stats to no end barely put their characters to sleep and don't find energy to be the problem when they can just eat again to fill it up and get more stomach relief by hustling trees, their main concern is satiations and bringing hunger in line with satiations gives them incetive enough to eat until they completely get no bonuses since their hunger bar gets every FEPS' worth.

MagicManICT wrote:
Yuginelol wrote:They imply that sleeping should fill energy meter.

Where does it say that in the game? There's no tool tip on a bed. I don't recall any documentation for them anywhere except via the patch notes.

It's just a suggestion, as things currently stand you're pretty much forced to run an alt for building a base and several other things depending on the amount of people you're playing with. Having some other form of energy restoration might be beneficial to help others catch up to people who have basically zero energy issues.

For what it's worth, there's a lot of ways to balance that idea, it could take from 6 to 24 (real) hours to restore up to a maximum of 5,000-7,000 energy since being able to restore all your energy might not make enough sense and make the game a bit too casual, or just come up with some other way that would help people who are behind to catch up, there's symbel at least.
Glac1al

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements