Game Development: Mead & Cider

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mead & Cider

Postby foki1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm

jorb wrote:
[*] Fixed a bug by which corpses, if carried overhead while swimming and drowning, would disappear, rather than drop in the water.[/list]

Why didnt I receive a cape for losing pretty much everything? :thonking:
foki1

Postby LaserSaysPew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm

loftar wrote:
Kaios wrote:but I feel like this change does not really address any of the issues people still have with satiations and stat raising. Nothing really changed in that regard, most of us are still behind and will remain behind likely until this world ends.

If you're going to state that, it would be much more useful if you could point out what was wrong with the reasoning I presented.

Example:
Let's say, I eat something that gives me +1 FEP and costs 3% hunger. I ate it, satiation strike, now sat is at 80% and this food no longer gives me full bar. I eat it, get 3*0.8=2.4% hunger and now I'm forced to eat something else, a berry, 1%. 3.4% hunger total vs 3% hunger, hunger still grows more if I eat at lower sat.
Not to mention all the food that is ignored simply because it's FEP/hunger ratio is bad. I was so looking forward to that delicious shift of meta, trying out new foods, big bear bangers, salads, other sausages, etc.
LaserSaysPew

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Kaios wrote:So, why for example would I eat a bunch of wild wilderness wurst when my meat satiation is at zero simply because I need energy?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Of course you wouldn't eat wilderness wurst just for energy. But you still get more actual FEPs from eating more of them even after you've started to become satiated, and with this change you aren't being penalized hunger-wise for doing so. If you want to maximize your FEPs per unit of time, it seems to me that you should keep eating even after you've become partially satiated.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sollar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm

jorb wrote:Fixed a bug by which corpses, if carried overhead while swimming and drowning, would disappear, rather than drop in the water.

Well well ... aren't you 2 fukken days late?
Sollar

Postby strpk0 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pm

loftar wrote:
Kaios wrote:So, why for example would I eat a bunch of wild wilderness wurst when my meat satiation is at zero simply because I need energy?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Of course you wouldn't eat wilderness wurst just for energy. But you still get more actual FEPs from eating more of them even after you've started to become satiated, and with this change you aren't being penalized hunger-wise for doing so. If you want to maximize your FEPs per unit of time, it seems to me that you should keep eating even after you've become partially satiated.

The problem is energy though?
Why introduce more convoluted mechanics instead of fixing the problem from the root? There have been plenty of good suggestions already so I’m confused as to why you picked this. Here, I’ll give a few of my own that are fairly uninvasive with the current system:

1. Introduce energy-only food recipes (no feps or satiations, could be sweets or some other time appropiate sugar-related or “junk” foods with little to no nutritional value)
2. Introduce drinks that regen your energy (fruit juices? Berry juices?)

When people are looking to fix their energy and not fuck their satiations, FEPs and hunger in the process, then thats precisely what they want, not a way to only half fuck your character from energy-intensive tasks.

Yeah, I could bury one of my satiations to the ground so I can keep mining, OR I could just not deal with that and instead pick the best option that has always been there of just using alts for everything I do.
Last edited by strpk0 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Kaios » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:17 pm

loftar wrote:

My point is the change is lackluster. I was hoping for something that encouraged making and eating more food and giving players like myself (casuals) a chance to catch up in the rat race. I don’t know, I realize what I’m asking for is more complicated than I am making it out to be but I don’t feel like this hunger change does anything meaningful towards the overall stat competition.

Yes, if I want to maximize my FEP I can and do eat foods at partial satiation but that is not the issue at hand. Let’s say I stuff myself with roasted meat simply for the energy, ok great my meat satiation is zero and I’m no longer raising my hunger but I still have to wait 2 days (is it 2 days?) to eat anything good with meat satiation and until then receive absolutely zero FEP from meat based foods.
Kaios

Postby iamahh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm

make helper alts like is tradition since the foundation of the havens, no excel sheets needed
iamahh

Postby Redlaw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm

I am ok with the energy food change, I mena I have been mass making onion rings to help the miners, people expanding the village, hell theres some foods I just mass make for energy fort my own use. Tis helps with that, seems overly complex. But the options about pure energy food can still happen. Ofc they should, I could see fruit juices adding energy + some draw back after the sugar rush is over. think of what can be vs not testing whats offered.
Redlaw

Postby Angwyn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Kaios wrote:My point is the change is lackluster. I was hoping for something that encouraged making and eating more food and giving players like myself (casuals) a chance to catch up in the rat race.

How can you possibly think that removing current restrictions like hunger or satiations would allow you to catch up to players who invest far more time and work? Satiations already exist to help casual players, as it severely limits how much you can eat per day. If there were no restrictions to eating, dedicated players would have 20x your stats. Botters would have 50x your stats.
Angwyn

Postby Dakkan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:34 pm

I've been mining throughout the update, and the new changes seem to fuck me over in regards to gaining the rare attribute point that I might have gotten otherwise. I don't get it.

Edit: I mean during refilling my energy (which must be done), the FEP gain is horrific now.
Dakkan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements