Game Development: Mead & Cider

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mead & Cider

Postby Oddity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Kaios wrote:What is the point of this hunger change my dudes, I’m just gonna continue to eat grasshoppers until they stop giving me hunger and then still only eat good foods when my satiations don’t ruin them much. As a miner I appreciate the effort but I don’t see how it changes anything.

why grasshoppers?
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Bozdogan123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 pm

what satiations mead and cidar affect?
Bozdogan123

Postby Bozdogan123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Oddity wrote:
Kaios wrote:What is the point of this hunger change my dudes, I’m just gonna continue to eat grasshoppers until they stop giving me hunger and then still only eat good foods when my satiations don’t ruin them much. As a miner I appreciate the effort but I don’t see how it changes anything.

why grasshoppers?

good energy to hunger ratio
Bozdogan123

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 pm

dageir wrote:Why do we need boiling for this? When making quality mead, boiling the "honey water" is sacrilige.

I'll admit I've yet to make mead myself, but my understanding is that it is far better to make the must sterile and then add a known-good yeast, whereas hoping for a wild yeast growth to turn out good is quite a wager.

Bozdogan123 wrote:what satiations mead and cidar affect?

Mead: Primarily vegetables, secondarily game and nuts & seeds.
Cider: Primarily poultry, secondarily shrooms and offal.

Drinks should quite arguably be given proper tooltips.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm

loftar wrote:Mead: Primarily vegetables, secondarily game and nuts & seeds.
Cider: Primarily poultry, secondarily shrooms and offal.

Updated OP.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm

loftar wrote:
dageir wrote:Why do we need boiling for this? When making quality mead, boiling the "honey water" is sacrilige.

I'll admit I've yet to make mead myself, but my understanding is that it is far better to make the must sterile and then add a known-good yeast, whereas hoping for a wild yeast growth to turn out good is quite a wager.

Yes and no. In modern mead making there might be split opinions, but boiling the honey would break down some of the distinct tastes and you might end up With "sugar water". Different kinds of honey from different Flowers give distinct flavours. In the olden days where this game takes Place they did not have yeast bought off the internet, but let the brew be exposed to the air and whatever spores were in the air would start the fermentation process.
dageir

Postby Kaios » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 pm

loftar wrote:The main problem with the hunger/satiations combo as I've seen it has been that, as soon as any type of food is even partially satiated, eating more of it leads to a suboptimal utilization of hunger. This should fix that, quite simply. The only "waste" of eating partially satiated food now should be that of the food items themselves, rather than of hunger or in terms of FEPs/time.

Don’t get me wrong I like the implication of being able to restore my energy without affecting my hunger level and I’ve been complaining about it forever but I feel like this change does not really address any of the issues people still have with satiations and stat raising. Nothing really changed in that regard, most of us are still behind and will remain behind likely until this world ends.

Oddity wrote:why grasshoppers?

They won’t satiate anything useful
Kaios

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm

dageir wrote:In the olden days where this game takes Place they did not have yeast bought off the internet

I'm sure they didn't buy it off the Internet, but I don't think it's a modern phenomenon to reuse previous batches for their yeast cultures. I'll also add that Columella, in de re rustica, specifies that if the water used for mead comes from a river, it should be boiled first.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 pm

loftar wrote:
dageir wrote:In the olden days where this game takes Place they did not have yeast bought off the internet

I'm sure they didn't buy it off the Internet, but I don't think it's a modern phenomenon to reuse previous batches for their yeast cultures. I'll also add that Columella, in de re rustica, specifies that if the water used for mead comes from a river, it should be boiled first.

The water yes. The must, no.
dageir

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 pm

dageir wrote:The water yes. The must, no.

How do you know that that is not what the hearthling is doing when using the cauldron, young padawan?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements