Game Development: Mead & Cider

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mead & Cider

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm

dageir wrote:The water yes. The must, no.

Certainly. I did imagine the cauldron being part of the recipe being an abstraction for using the boiled water from it, not necessarily boiling the honey as part of it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:37 pm

loftar wrote:
dageir wrote:The water yes. The must, no.

Certainly. I did imagine the cauldron being part of the recipe being an abstraction for using the boiled water from it, not necessarily boiling the honey as part of it.

Ok. Then we are on the same page. :)
dageir

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Kaios wrote:but I feel like this change does not really address any of the issues people still have with satiations and stat raising. Nothing really changed in that regard, most of us are still behind and will remain behind likely until this world ends.

If you're going to state that, it would be much more useful if you could point out what was wrong with the reasoning I presented.
loftar

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Also: Can we make vinegar from the New beverages?
dageir

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

dageir wrote:Also: Can we make vinegar from the New beverages?

Yes. There's no difference compared to the vinegar produced from wine, though.
loftar

Postby discospaceman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:45 pm

loftar wrote:
dageir wrote:Also: Can we make vinegar from the New beverages?

Yes. There's no difference compared to the vinegar produced from wine, though.

So grapes are pretty much useless now? Save for raisins and wine if you want to bother with desatiating?
discospaceman

Postby Astarisk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 pm

dageir wrote:
loftar wrote:
dageir wrote:Why do we need boiling for this? When making quality mead, boiling the "honey water" is sacrilige.

I'll admit I've yet to make mead myself, but my understanding is that it is far better to make the must sterile and then add a known-good yeast, whereas hoping for a wild yeast growth to turn out good is quite a wager.

Yes and no. In modern mead making there might be split opinions, but boiling the honey would break down some of the distinct tastes and you might end up With "sugar water". Different kinds of honey from different Flowers give distinct flavours. In the olden days where this game takes Place they did not have yeast bought off the internet, but let the brew be exposed to the air and whatever spores were in the air would start the fermentation process.

I'm sure its all based off specific points in history and preferences. The only encounter I've read with mead stated they added honey to the water then boiled. After that they claimed it will ferment itself or you can choose to speed it up by adding yeast. But I'll admit that was a 17th to 18th century recipe.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby KitsuneG » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Jorb PLS tell me what desatiets old drinks, for the glory of wikia
Wiki editor.
KitsuneG

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Yes, different eras, different traditions. In the viking age and before I have the impression they let the must "self ferment".
dageir

Postby Kaios » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm

loftar wrote:
Kaios wrote:but I feel like this change does not really address any of the issues people still have with satiations and stat raising. Nothing really changed in that regard, most of us are still behind and will remain behind likely until this world ends.

If you're going to state that, it would be much more useful if you could point out what was wrong with the reasoning I presented.

You said it yourself, eating at lower satiation is suboptimal. Eating at zero satiation is even more-so. So, why for example would I eat a bunch of wild wilderness wurst when my meat satiation is at zero simply because I need energy? The answer is I won’t, it would be a waste to gain no fep from it and I might as well continue to eat grasshoppers or other stuff that only gives creepies and crawlies, forage, etc.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements