Game Development: Cigar Box

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cigar Box

Postby pppp » Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm

pppp wrote:I am not really sure what you are arguing about at this point. Looks like a long offtopic line of strawmen.

Agrik wrote:I argue that things like a spent time counter, a dependence on the starting date, a winner's reward size, or a happiness assured in exchange for money are not what makes a game. A game is made by brain activity it requires.

How grinding the stats back is a brain activity ?

Agrik wrote:
pppp wrote:Item/structure decay is managed by claims and that part is fine.

In general, yes. But there are two things that disturb me:
1. Claim upkeep is unrelated to the cost of things it saves from decay. So the cost of maintaining a houseful of Q200 items and a knarr is equal to the cost of maintaining a noob's hut with dugout. Effectively a noob spends more % of his wealth daily to keep it than top-tier player, and this totally reverses the idea of challenge.
2. Item Qs is left unaffected at all.

How this is even relevant ? Why start discussing offtopic stuff that no one even complains about ?

Agrik wrote:Wear is use-based. It does not care about different chars, it applies on what is being used. If durability would be a different counter beside Q, then maybe better crafter should make more durable things while better user should wear them slower, but that's all. And that's normal, a division of labor (?).

If you mean char stats, it's a bit complex issue, and I hesitate somewhat because this thread seems to be not the right place for such a prolonged discussion.

Agrik wrote:Items are not the trouble when Q grows endlessly anyways.

So what the hell you want to discuss, items or characters ?

Overall I do not get what you are trying to prove other than picking random sentences of what I write and trying to argue about. Write your own idea and we can discuss what is good and what is wrong in that idea.
Agrik wrote:
pppp wrote: Yeah, move it, perhaps under "How do I" or similar. /sarc

I haven't seen there a topic by jorbtar on "How do we make a game" though.
If serious, you prefer not to move existing posts, right?

TBH this belongs to Inn of Brodgar.
pppp

Postby Agrik » Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

pppp wrote:How grinding the stats back is a brain activity ?
By means of game mechanics, probably. I just hope that there is something that requires brain activity, not only the timesink.

pppp wrote:How this is even relevant ? Why start discussing offtopic stuff that no one even complains about ?
Thank you for calling me nobody.

Back to the topic: relevant to what? Claim upkeep as a trade off for items decay is relevant to said decay that is "maintenance cost". Qs growth is relevant to the idea of general decay of numbers, while the idea of decay is relevant to counterbalancing advantages of a starting moment and a time spent. And influence of both is your a) variants, which you admitted to be already offtopic yourself...

pppp wrote:So what the hell you want to discuss, items or characters ?
The general situation. Any significant ingame number, be it items Qs, stats of chars, or like, would move world closer to its end if allowed to grow endlessly. That why I speak about decay, wear, aging together.

pppp wrote:Overall I do not get what you are trying to prove other than picking random sentences of what I write and trying to argue about. Write your own idea and we can discuss what is good and what is wrong in that idea.
That a) variants are not much a game, and that a decay of sorts can improve the game at being b) variants.

Yes, I'm thinking about separate topic.
Agrik

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Since this was mentioned in another thread, thought I'd bump this as a general reminder to everyone about the quest limits. I'm sure there are many of us that aren't "top tier questors" that forgot about this change. It will matter in the starting days for everyone. I'm not sure how quickly it will fall off to meaningless for many of us, and not sure if anyone has figured out how many quests we can stockpile.

inb4 "we need moar quests!!!" :P
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Oldimaru » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:07 am

MagicManICT wrote:Since this was mentioned in another thread, thought I'd bump this as a general reminder to everyone about the quest limits. I'm sure there are many of us that aren't "top tier questors" that forgot about this change. It will matter in the starting days for everyone. I'm not sure how quickly it will fall off to meaningless for many of us, and not sure if anyone has figured out how many quests we can stockpile.

inb4 "we need moar quests!!!" :P

We can stockpile it for a max(3*real days) from start of server.
if u start after u earn stockpile up to 12 per day while reach this cap.
So we dont need do every day 3 quests, its possible to w8 and do 21qu 1 time per week.
Oldimaru

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:15 am

How I understand the patch note, is that you can get 10 quests in your log amount of quests in your log is not limited, but (you can) only complete 3 every day. Once some people finish large number of quests total over time, your cap will increase until you too hit that large number.

"Complete" I assume you are only restricted from performing the final "report back" action. Would like to test this but I think that current w11 leaderboard is so bloated it would actually take some effort to hit the quest cap, from basically scratch, now.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Oldimaru » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:22 am

vatas wrote:How I understand the patch note, is that you can get 10 quests in your log but only complete 3 every day. Once some people finish large number of quests total over time, your cap will increase until you too hit that large number.

"Complete" I assume you are only restricted from performing the final "report back" action. Would like to test this but I think that current w11 leaderboard is so bloated it would actually take some effort to hit the quest cap, from basically scratch, now.

doesnt matter how many quest complete another peoples. if u start world, ALL people have 3quests per day and can complete this stack at once ore every day partial.
only after created twinks earn 3-12 quests per day, until cap. and its depend on completed quests so u can w8 10 days with twink who start after 1 month and do full cap. at once.
Oldimaru

Previous

Return to Announcements