Game Development: Cigar Box

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cigar Box

Postby LaserSaysPew » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am

Kaios wrote:
Granger wrote:Explain to me please how a mechanic that allows one to slow down or even take a break without permanently falling behind in the first place would have these effects. Wouldn't it rather be the opposite?

Is it even possible for any mechanic in this game to contain all of those parameters? To be honest I'm not sure it is.

Caps + decay.
Cap at 1k stats:
0-1000 - you grow like you do right now, no decay, just playing.
1000+ - decay starts, the further you go, the faster decay gets, allowing you to reach 1500 with playing daily and 1800 temporarily with big boy grinding.
Your stats never decay lower than a 1000.
Obviously with old symbel/bonfires and adequate satiation mechanic with buffers instead of what we've got right now.
LaserSaysPew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 08, 2019 12:44 am

bmjclark wrote:
Granger wrote:--snip--

You pretty much just said "Make the game balanced. Lol easy" without offering any real suggestion and bragged about solving the issue in the same post. It'd be about as helpful as me posting "Make combat good duh" as a combat suggestion.

The first step to recovery is to recognize that there is a problem.

Yes, it makes for a poor discussion point in C&I, but the problems do need to be named before they can be solved. So far, the debate is questioning if this is even a problem, with jorbtar making the decisive vote.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bmjclark » Wed May 08, 2019 12:52 am

MagicManICT wrote:The first step to recovery is to recognize that there is a problem.

Maybe so, unfortunately that's not what he was doing. He was being condescending to someone and posting his non solution as a be all solution. Literally like if i did my previous "Make combat good, duh" example then called people who were discussing combat dumb for not seeing that as the obvious solution.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Ardennesss » Wed May 08, 2019 12:56 am

bmjclark wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:The first step to recovery is to recognize that there is a problem.

Maybe so, unfortunately that's not what he was doing. He was being condescending to someone and posting his non solution as a be all solution. Literally like if i did my previous "Make combat good, duh" example then called people who were discussing combat dumb for not seeing that as the obvious solution.

Congratulations, you cracked the recipe for every single Granger forum post.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Granger » Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 am

LaserSaysPew wrote:
Kaios wrote:
Granger wrote:Explain to me please how a mechanic that allows one to slow down or even take a break without permanently falling behind in the first place would have these effects. Wouldn't it rather be the opposite?

Is it even possible for any mechanic in this game to contain all of those parameters? To be honest I'm not sure it is.

Caps + decay.
Cap at 1k stats:
1000+ - decay starts, the further you go, the faster decay gets, allowing you to reach 1500 with playing daily and 1800 temporarily with big boy grinding.
Obviously with old symbel/bonfires and adequate satiation mechanic with buffers instead of what we've got right now.

Apart from the numbers you picked (that IMHO are way too high) for your example... Yes. But without caps, as stat decay (when implemented with sensible numbers) would already form the barrier that is needed for the desired effects.

bmjclark wrote:
Granger wrote:--snip--

You pretty much just said "Make the game balanced. Lol easy" without offering any real suggestion ....
The post you refer to is in the context of the second part of this post which was referred to by the post I commented. Should have been obvious when reading this topic, but surely it's easier to attack the messenger when he has something to say you don't like.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby LaserSaysPew » Wed May 08, 2019 5:59 am

Granger wrote:
LaserSaysPew wrote:Caps + decay.
Cap at 1k stats:

Apart from the numbers you picked (that IMHO are way too high) for your example... Yes. But without caps, as stat decay (when implemented with sensible numbers) would already form the barrier that is needed for the desired effects.

Numbers are just to demonstrate. And the caps are there to stop decay at min point (1k in the example), there are no upper caps, you can go as high as you can manage to while fighting the decay.
Yeah, too high really, I'd say 500 as lower cap(meaning no decay at 500 or less stats) is more sensible with decay being somewhat playful from 500 to 750. If you've eaten in the last day or two, the decay isn't working for you. And then going full retard at 750+ decaying faster and faster the further you go with such numbers that you can realistically push yourself up to 1k for a short duration with lots of preparation(to fight for meteorite for example)
LaserSaysPew

Postby Hasta » Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 am

Yeah, that's an idea I can get behind.

Let's see "hardcore players" shit all over it now, shall we?
Hasta

Postby Apocoreo » Wed May 08, 2019 6:30 am

Astarisk wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:this satiation change is fukn retarded tbh

It really is. I can't even eat in the game during my down time, my satiations are still recovering from when i went to bed over 12 hours ago. It definitely feels like I'm running out of things to log into the game for.

Do people actually eat every 12 hours in this game? I eat every few days
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 08, 2019 9:21 am

Apocoreo wrote:
Astarisk wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:this satiation change is fukn retarded tbh

It really is. I can't even eat in the game during my down time, my satiations are still recovering from when i went to bed over 12 hours ago. It definitely feels like I'm running out of things to log into the game for.

Do people actually eat every 12 hours in this game? I eat every few days

More like once an hour (or less) for some of us, as that's about how long it takes to burn up a bar of energy.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lyrroth » Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am

miners can eat few times during one hour, same goes to lumberjackes but less frequently. aside from warrior alts for pure stat race who eats ASAP with highest possible efficiency, building with terraforming takes a lot of energy

the least amount of food to eat require farmers but it involves a good scythe and farming is tedious af without decent inventory and if youre trying to please a village
Lyrroth

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements