Game Development: Cigar Box

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cigar Box

Postby lachlaan » Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 am

jorb wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:
Oddity wrote:awful update

Code: Select all
Rolled back loftar's changes to how satiations are displayed. It's a retarded change for literally no reason and I'm not playing his fucking reindeer games.
~

Reindeer game?

I mean, the point was that I thought it a bit dumb that satiations disappeared at 100%, while maxing out at 0%. The inverse made a bit more sense as a default, but you are obviously free to revert and do as you please.

Following the term you guys used for the mechanic the new display method makes sense. How satiated am i? how full am i, from 0%, i could still eat a cow, to 100%, so full, nomorepls. In practice people need to know how much of the food they eat will benefit their FEP bar. Why have to calculate that you'll get (1- 0.4) * food Feps instead of the easier 0.6 * food Feps?
lachlaan

Postby Sarge » Sun May 05, 2019 10:22 am

I am totally flummoxed by those bitching about the time-gated non-credo quests and the manner in which it is done. I realise that different people have different points of views but are you completely fucking retarded?

There is and has been a massive problem with no-lifers completely running away with the game and nobody ever having a chance to be competitive again. This isn't a game with a world reset every week and being relatively competitive is of critical importance to allow new players to be able to join any time and for the bulk of people not to leave.

If you're the minority of no-lifers crying that this might chase you and the few players like you away then go fuck yourself you short sighted and selfish twat. If you're the guy crying that now there is literally nothing else to do after you've done your 1 hour of quests per day and might make you quit cause there's nothing else to do then seriously, please do fuck off and quit already because if you don't like any of the other gazillion skills and traits available to you then this game is not for you to begin with.

If you can still not grasp the critical necessity of shortening and managing the gap then please refrain from commenting in these threads because your opinions are cancerous.
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby jorb » Sun May 05, 2019 10:32 am

lachlaan wrote:Why have to calculate that you'll get (1- 0.4) * food Feps instead of the easier 0.6 * food Feps?

That was the counter argument. I find it pretty easy to simply consider the debuff instead, though, and think of that as being 0.4, or whatever.

When doing a writeup of it for last patch, though, I found it pretty retarded to write things like "when your satiation has decreased to 100%, and disappears".

Minor thing either way.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am

Yasodhara wrote:Why do you strive to make shit as unnecessary complicated as possible? Why do i have to carefully choose what vessel i drink stuff from?

Because only barbarians would drink beer out of a wine glass? Or wine out of a tankard? It's not intended to be the biggest deal in the world.

Also what the fuck is up with satiations and hunger? You alter them in some way what feels like every other patch. If these systems require so much of your attention and time, why not try and replace/remove them?

Because I find them to be good systems worth working on?

Does it mean that there is limit overall on how many quests i can stack and daily gain doesn't break through that limit?

Yes.

Also, since now there is daily limit on quests, how about buff rewards and remove "+1 to local resource quality" shit, or better yet, let us see rewards before we decide which quest to complete (it doesn't have to be exact number, but at least a range in which reward will be) and possibly let us choose between 2-3 rewards.

I think the +1 to local quality of X is one of the best rewards we've come up with, and would rather remove the others. Ultimately I'd like to have a conversation system where you can, indeed, negotiate the quest to some extent before accepting it, but in lieu of that I think the randomness of it is one of the things that offsets potential balance problems with it. If quests were only hunger/LP, for example, they could quickly become far too necessary for character development.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 am

Pan_w_okularach wrote:do you inherit your quest count if you die?

No.

jorb

Postby ichishi » Sun May 05, 2019 10:43 am

Due to traffic lights, cars in the city had to start and stop too often. Now traffic lights will show green more often when you have less fuel left. To compensate, time you spend on red lights per day is doubled on average.
- Haven and Hearth satiety mechanics update
ichishi

Postby jorb » Sun May 05, 2019 10:43 am

Avu wrote:Questing was fucked up but at least most everyone sane ignored them. Eating on the other hand everyone has to do. Even though people told you satiation were too punishing what do you do? select part of the problem (that best strategy is to bot eating at max satiation) fail utterly at fixing it and make the system at least two times more punishing than it was. And you know why? Because you are fucking lazy. Yes you are. Instead of implementing a system people would enjoy you'd rather modify a variable and make everything worse. Fuck this shit.

And fuck off with your preffered drinking vessels crap. Its just fucking tedium nobody enjoys. Fucking sprucecap larper.

Maybe take a break and go outside.

jorb

Postby Avu » Sun May 05, 2019 10:49 am

jorb wrote:
Avu wrote:Questing was fucked up but at least most everyone sane ignored them. Eating on the other hand everyone has to do. Even though people told you satiation were too punishing what do you do? select part of the problem (that best strategy is to bot eating at max satiation) fail utterly at fixing it and make the system at least two times more punishing than it was. And you know why? Because you are fucking lazy. Yes you are. Instead of implementing a system people would enjoy you'd rather modify a variable and make everything worse. Fuck this shit.

And fuck off with your preffered drinking vessels crap. Its just fucking tedium nobody enjoys. Fucking sprucecap larper.

Maybe take a break and go outside.

I'm not going outside cause I don't like the outside but I'm also done with this shit. Enjoy the 100 people who will play no matter what. Can't wait until you give them seasons to make their shit even more tedious just so you can wank over a pretty snow covered trees.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby jorb » Sun May 05, 2019 10:56 am

Avu wrote:I'm not going outside cause I don't like the outside but I'm also done with this shit. Enjoy the 100 people who will play no matter what. Can't wait until you give them seasons to make their shit even more tedious just so you can wank over a pretty snow covered trees.

There is, indeed, no end to the abuse you've had to endure from us.

Adios, sprucecap.

jorb

Postby Granger » Sun May 05, 2019 11:06 am

Sarge wrote:This isn't a game with a world reset every week and being relatively competitive is of critical importance to allow new players to be able to join any time and for the bulk of people not to leave.

This.

I salute the devs for trying to fix the problems the game has when it comes to catching up (be it from joining late in the world, not knowing how to play better from the beginning, accidents inbetween, or having had less time to spend on the game in the past).
But IMHO the problems can't really be fixed as long as characters are the sum of what they have consumed (curios and food) over their whole existance, as in the end the existing mechanics still boil down to the age of the character and how effectively it had been played over its whole lifetime.

Ceterum censeo ignoring endless growth as the cause of the problem just leads to spending time on treating symptoms instead of curing the actual illness.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements