Game Development: Cigar Box

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cigar Box

Postby Astarisk » Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 am

jorb wrote:This has been a heavily requested change, and something we've advertised as under contemplation. You've had plenty of time to voice your concerns.

Also, again, it probably doesn't affect you.

I have spoken out against it heavily. None of this is what they asked for. I argued against all of them. Everyone is fucking confused because they don't understand why people have higher stats than them, so they point towards other mechanics they don't understand.

You are hitting the hard wall of balancing between casuals and hardcore and in essence you have pushed all the hardcore players out.

Here let me point out some concerns people had when they did talk about nerfing quests:

1) People wanted questing nerfed because they felt it gave someone more LP in an unrealistic manner
This is false. I've gained I believe less than 1 million LP from quests -- You know where a lot of people get most of their LP from?

Icicles. A good Icicle study goes from 1mil LP to 3mil LP per icicle and the people who collect these are collecting almost all of them. I've personally have consumed 3 icicles in a single day. Studying gems + curios.

2) People felt it helped them get ahead in stats with hunger.
This may be true, but people have been asking for hunger to be removed. I personally only feasted in the 200% range. When I turn in a quest I typically got up to 80% hunger reduction vs those who tried to quest in 300 and only got like 8% max. This didn't take me very many quests, but I was left at the mercy of RNG reward.

3) RNG Rewards
Enough said. This has been one of the biggest complaints on questing.

The main issue people wanted out of questing was for hunger to be removed. You missed the entire point on these changes.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby loftar » Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 am

camobeast wrote:You forgot to change the % colour visual, at 25% the number is displaying as red when it should be more of a greener color if it is really opposite now. Image

I don't think that should be the case. Are you sure you're not just using an old client and in fact is satiated to that level?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby loftar » Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 am

Astarisk wrote:Here let me point out some concerns people had when they did talk about nerfing quests:

This isn't really mainly about "nerfing" quests; if you want to, we can adjust the amounts of the rewards to compensate (though I'm not sure that's actually necessary). It's all about not having to quest-all-day-erry-day or fall behind, which has been the main complaint I've seen.
loftar

Postby Kaios » Sun May 05, 2019 12:43 am

jorb wrote:If you're already not questing, this certainly doesn't affect you, sprucecap.

How is the scenario different from hunting or digging for LP, it's a process in the game through which players can increase their rate of progression by spending X amount of time. The more time spent, the greater the rate of progression. You've time gated the mechanic in a weird way in my opinion, players that are behind because they didn't enjoy doing it in the first place are still forced to spend more time on questing in order to catch up while players who are ahead of the curve and might have been in that position because they enjoyed questing are instead cut off from that entire section of game play in a much shorter period of time.
Kaios

Postby LaserSaysPew » Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 am

So...now if I have 20% sat showing it actually means I get 80% FEPs?
LaserSaysPew

Postby Pyonezze » Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 am

I think you can make Quality/Quantity bonus. like if you complete 1 quest a week, you can get decent bonus, like ton of exp/lp etc. Vice versa with that tryharders, they will do more quests, but get less exp/lp etc.
Pyonezze

Postby Astarisk » Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 am

loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Here let me point out some concerns people had when they did talk about nerfing quests:

This isn't really mainly about "nerfing" quests; if you want to, we can adjust the amounts of the rewards to compensate. It's all about not having to quest-all-day-erry-day or fall behind, which has been the main complaint I've seen.

I don't care at all about questing outside of the hunger reduction. No one really spent all day questing -- thats an over reaction on a lot of people, the only times I had to mass quest was when I needed to fix my hunger that got messed up from having to spend a day cairn bashing or something menial. But this has been addressed already and my questing has gone down from it.

If I felt particularly feasty that day I might have spent a bit more time questing and I can guarantee you that wasn't a quest-all-day-erry-day event. What people wanted out of questing was to have more reliable rewards and the removal of hunger. Now I got to be very careful on what quests I do turn in. A catch a rat isn't the same tier as create a level 5 artifact and I'd feel absolutely horrible after having to waste a week of questing and not getting the latter.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby loftar » Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 am

LaserSaysPew wrote:So...now if I have 20% sat showing it actually means I get 80% FEPs?

Assuming you have an updated client, yes.
loftar

Postby wonder-ass » Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 am

i mean you didnt have the nerf questing as a whole just hunger reduction is the culprit here.
instead of making it so you can only get 3 quests per day another option could be to make it so you can only get x hunger reductions per day.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Yuginelol » Sun May 05, 2019 12:51 am

I preferred 'sleep to regain energy' solution more (and it makes more lore sense kinda), but you know what? Thank you. I can now decide whenever I'm fucking up my hunger bar to restore energy, or not. That's an elegant solution.
Beetroot+carrot juice when?
Yuginelol

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements