Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Postby Angwyn » Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm

lachlaan wrote:I can afford to spend 8 minutes on it, but does it have to be 8 minutes doing nothing? By all means make me dance around the tree or kick it to shake the leaves off, but if my alternatives are boredom or bust then slowly similar mechanics will end up spelling "Just go be bored elsewhere", and I hope the intent isn't to push people that way.

Yes, that is exactly the point. Until now the same few people are gathering the majority of resources, having to reserve entire house floors for e.g. heartwood leaves that they don't even need. Now maybe other people have a chance. If it's too boring, maybe you don't need the resource after all and you should indeed go and be bored elsewhere. This technically goes against the original idea that local resources were something you would want to fight over, but most resources other than icicles aren't useful enough for that to work.

I'd rather prefer other solutions such as the resource being able to spawn in a huge radius around a center point, making you go look for it, but this simple timer is already better than things were before.
Angwyn

Postby wonder-ass » Thu May 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Avu wrote:Lord almighty jorbs default response to truth.

we went from bashing at the game to straight up bashing down jorb. more constructive criticism less attacks on jorb, this doesnt help motivate him.
Last edited by wonder-ass on Thu May 09, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jordancoles » Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby azrid » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Yuginelol wrote:
Before change: If I want to go and gather ancient root or something I'm gonna drive there with my main. If it respawned and no one picked it up - I'm going to get it. If someone looted it - there won't be anyone there. Literally nothing to lose but time to get to resource location.

After change: fuck that, I'm not risking any of characters in a feud for a piece of salt. I'd rather just make disposable alts that may or may not be successful, but if they end up dead because someone wanted to loot same node - nothing is lost.

Resource nodes were and are littered with random heartfires next to it or closeby. In the previous version of resource collection it was also more beneficial to just put an alt at every node. The fix is infinitely better than what we had before.
azrid

Postby Jaggens » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 pm

azrid wrote:
Yuginelol wrote:
Before change: If I want to go and gather ancient root or something I'm gonna drive there with my main. If it respawned and no one picked it up - I'm going to get it. If someone looted it - there won't be anyone there. Literally nothing to lose but time to get to resource location.

After change: fuck that, I'm not risking any of characters in a feud for a piece of salt. I'd rather just make disposable alts that may or may not be successful, but if they end up dead because someone wanted to loot same node - nothing is lost.

Resource nodes were and are littered with random heartfires next to it or closeby. In the previous version of resource collection it was also more beneficial to just put an alt at every node. The fix is infinitely better than what we had before.

What I was trying to say is before I did not see an incentive to camp an alt on each node I want to loot. If this change was to create an incentive for me and other hearthlings to use main characters instead of creating rings of hearthfires around resources - it did exactly opposite for me, I'm more concerned about safety of my character I'm primarily raising now, because standing for 8 minutes in front of Heartwood alt tabbed wasn't exactly what I want to do regularly.

Probably I'm not only hermit who thinks that. On other hand, people who were camping and have strong mains now have more incentives to NOT camp with alts. This is not to tell that I LIKE or DISLIKE this change, I just wanted to chime in with how I am going to deal with localized resources from now on if this stays. Feedback and shit.
Jaggens

Postby Vassteel » Thu May 09, 2019 8:12 pm

well i guess the upside of this is that it is now worth paying the cost to erect a village claim ontop of all avaliable resources.
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby azrid » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm

And I will be there when your puny alt tries to gather my resources.
Before I had to be there the exact second to catch one of those alts filled to the brim with resources.
azrid

Postby Vassteel » Thu May 09, 2019 8:35 pm

not if i v claim them first. :3

Sure its a chore, but realistically i only have-to check up on them once a day at most to just scan for siege equipment.
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby azrid » Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 pm

The guy above your post although I do know where you live too.
azrid

Postby Kaios » Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 pm

I think the 2 minute timer per resource mechanic only works well with Drift Kelp, it should be somewhat difficult to gather it because of how powerful it is in foods and so at least forcing a repair to the Knarr is not entirely terrible but also slows down the process a bit.

For everything else it sucks.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements