Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Postby loskierek » Wed May 08, 2019 7:36 pm

how about it takes 2 minutes to harvest only 1st resource from geysers/pits etc and any other already stored inside would be at a normal speed? or the 2 minute timer would only be valid for the first 30-60 minutes after the resourca has spawned? I mean if nobody contested something in a long time i dont see how those 2 minutes are going to make a difference and gathering from a stacked spot will be cancer.
loskierek

Postby loftar » Wed May 08, 2019 7:36 pm

MagicManICT wrote:That was the goal of the hunger mechanic bonuses, yes?

I'm not sure what you refer to by "hunger mechanic bonuses".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ricky » Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Gathering resources from natural wonders now takes about 2 minutes per unit harvested

Good gesture, but excessive imo. If you can't stop a naked alt in 20 seconds, you can't stop a naked alt in 2 minutes.

heartwood trees now take 8 IRL minutes to harvest each respawn
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby Kirche » Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 pm

change it from 2 minutes to 10 minutes please, thanks :)
Kirche

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 pm

MagicManICT wrote:And yes, I think two minutes is too much. I think 60s would be more than enough for people to actively contest these. (edit: started thinking and the train of thought derailed)

Heartily disagree.

Kirche wrote:change it from 2 minutes to 10 minutes please, thanks :)

Seconded.

jorb wrote: Additional catch up mechanics in the same vein as the one we added to questing last patch, by which players receive bonuses in relation to how far behind the global server lead they are. Food? Curios? Metal quality? Bad idea?

Hate this, Hate this lots.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Omnipotent » Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Giving more thought to it, I like the resource harvest time change. But it doesn't feel like it is fixing the problem, just fixing a symptom of the problem.

Kirche wrote:change it from 2 minutes to 10 minutes please, thanks :)

Can we have this, and also have random respawn locations for natural resources? The fact they are permanent and persistent in one location is what makes them so easily bottable. If their future location was not easily predictable (as it is in our current system), it could help alleviate most of the alt camping.
Omnipotent

Postby wonder-ass » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm

jorb wrote: Additional catch up mechanics in the same vein as the one we added to questing last patch, by which players receive bonuses in relation to how far behind the global server lead they are. Food? Curios? Metal quality? Bad idea?

depends how you implement it. could be abused to work in favor of the titans.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby rye130 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

jorb wrote:players receive bonuses in relation to how far behind the global server lead they are. Food? Curios?

Going to have to be careful about how you implement this or everyone's going to end up having alt armies that are easy to pump out. Finishing returns in a lot of the formulas already does a decent job of letting people "catch up"
rye130

Postby Granger » Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 pm

jorb wrote:Additional catch up mechanics in the same vein as the one we added to questing last patch, by which players receive bonuses in relation to how far behind the global server lead they are. Food? Curios? Metal quality? Bad idea?

Each world is doomed as long as the numbers in it can grow eternally, giving boni to the ones behind is treating symptoms and won't remove the cause for the existence of the 'wipe now please' topic.

Apart from that: still waiting to be able to hand bash the walls on my own claim. In case of fear about security I suggest that only the claim owner can do that (lawspeaker for village) and in case that isn't enough only walls that are younger than the claim idea to destroy them (when on multiple active claims). Cascade removed (so initially breaking a wall gives a breach instead the potential of a wall-free place) and being able to destroy badly damaged segments (creating new neighbouring badly damaged segments) sounds like a good plan
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Qualities increasing is a catchup mechanic, tho...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements