Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Granger wrote:Ever heard of 'winner takes all'? Because I have the impression that that's basically what the mechanics boil down to: the first faction who gets to the icicles is the one to keep them - and through them quickly becomes unbeatable to the rest around.

Exactly how much of an impact do icicles themselves have on the issues? Compared to everything else, of course. I'm thinking they're less than 1% of the total stat growth.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm

jorb wrote:Therefore...?

In case you want them contested... don't enable to claim and wall them?

The timer to harvest them is a good idea, just the per-item is a bit overdoing it.
I think two minutes, interruptible by combat or being pushed, to get all what's in there at the end... would be palatable to most (if not all).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby lachlaan » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

jorb wrote:
shubla wrote:They are not valuable enough to risk fighting for them.
Add more good sinks for them so they become valuable. Then people may fight for them.

Perhaps that's where the focus should be, then.

Pit clay spawns too rarely, usually at low qualities, and with low amounts that can easily be offset with cave clay.

Heartwood leaves are probably more worth it for cooking big foods than gilding at this point, but I can't be sure how desperate bigger factions or fatter chars would be for them.

People seem moderately interested in the other stuff, but generally icicles seem to be the main interest.

People are insisting everything is walled off but I've camped very little resources so far this world and the only way I get them is just having a short jog around the area every now and then. Essentially, the timerless system allowed for a sort of a wanderer profession, the timer system has now made it a more mandatory camper profession which is more boring and takes away from the game I feel.

Sure if stuff was worth getting perhaps it'd start more situations where things get contested, but the amount of time investment it takes to break a wall and a village claim around a resource is nowhere near balanced to the gain you get from the resource. So even if some resource types or specific instances at high quality were ever worth it, the majority of the spawns just gained tedium and nothing else.

Edit to add a suggestion: Why not just add hunger games type warnings region wide. "Somewhere X resource near you will be ready in an hour". Or make them vanish for a bit if they're not harvested for too long after respawn, then respawn intermittently until being picked and a shorter timer starts, equal to the total usual respawn time minus all the periods of time it wasn't actually available.
lachlaan

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sat May 11, 2019 12:20 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Granger wrote:Ever heard of 'winner takes all'? Because I have the impression that that's basically what the mechanics boil down to: the first faction who gets to the icicles is the one to keep them - and through them quickly becomes unbeatable to the rest around.

Exactly how much of an impact do icicles themselves have on the issues? Compared to everything else, of course. I'm thinking they're less than 1% of the total stat growth.

im sure my icicle lp is more than 90% of ppls total lp
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Ardennesss » Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

Yeah, not sure why people don't understand how powerful icicles are tbh.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

Yeah... i'm sure it's 90% of mine. I've been pushing ua, masonry, and survival only to mine. But what is it of your total LP?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 am

2 minutes per resource is pretty shit, i'm not a fan
sabinati

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 am

MagicManICT wrote:Yeah... i'm sure it's 90% of mine. I've been pushing ua, masonry, and survival only to mine. But what is it of your total LP?

maybe like 30+ of my 47mil, i get 2.5mil lp per icicle roughly

im extremely lazy with curioss and questing for lp isnt really worth it, but if i maintained a nice study throughout the world my total lp would be a lot higher, anyways 2.5mil per icicle is pretty big
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Granger » Sat May 11, 2019 7:59 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Yeah... i'm sure it's 90% of mine. I've been pushing ua, masonry, and survival only to mine. But what is it of your total LP?

So basically you got more out of icicles than a good part of the characters in existance have in total...
Sounds totally balanced to me. /s
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Kaios » Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 am

Granger wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:

So basically you got more out of icicles than a good part of the characters in existance have in total...
Sounds totally balanced to me. /s

Even worse, the continent that I am on has a mountain with no icicle spires which is probably true for others, some don’t have mountains at all. Devs don’t play their own game so what would you expect though, this doesn’t surprise me at all.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements