Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Postby Granger » Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Qualities increasing is a catchup mechanic, tho...

Up to a point and only in case you have access to this stuff. Boils down to pay2win for people starting late.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Saitada » Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I wish the Silver players were also given the hat. It makes me very sad that it is random on silver players and not on gold.
Saitada

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I would rather see natural resources only have a timer on harvest if they have only been spawned for say....idk an hour? I have geysers in my cave system we leave topped off, and I dont want to sped 30 minutes to harvest that if I need it. I've also found drift kelp in the ocean completely full. Would I be expected to sit there for an hour?

The timer is good, but it needs its own time constraint. No point in making us stand there for 2 minutes if the resource has been in it for weeks.
Fierce_Deity

Postby lachlaan » Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:I would rather see natural resources only have a timer on harvest if they have only been spawned for say....idk an hour? I have geysers in my cave system we leave topped off, and I dont want to sped 30 minutes to harvest that if I need it. I've also found drift kelp in the ocean completely full. Would I be expected to sit there for an hour?

The timer is good, but it needs its own time constraint. No point in making us stand there for 2 minutes if the resource has been in it for weeks.

This seems reasonable. I've also found guano that was just about full in the past. Consider this timer as more of a "respawn protection" sort of thing that shooter games have. Resource is defended from camping for an hour or two after it respawns, or however much you consider a window for contesting should be. If not people will figure out some weird stuff like logging out a combat alt and logging it in every "less than gathering time" or some weird stuff.
lachlaan

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed May 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Omnipotent wrote:Giving more thought to it, I like the resource harvest time change. But it doesn't feel like it is fixing the problem, just fixing a symptom of the problem.

Kirche wrote:change it from 2 minutes to 10 minutes please, thanks :)

Can we have this, and also have random respawn locations for natural resources? The fact they are permanent and persistent in one location is what makes them so easily bottable. If their future location was not easily predictable (as it is in our current system), it could help alleviate most of the alt camping.

Sanity!

In the instance of Heartwood Trees, I'd also love to see them start as bushes that you can dig up and plant once they're "mature" and then cut down for a special kind of wood in addition to the leaves.

Not cultivatable, mind you. You just have to find the bush when it's harvestable and swipe it before someone else does (With the pre-requisite timer as discussed)
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Vigilance » Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

before

after

very big
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Avu » Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 pm

You can apply how many band aids you want regarding catching up the core issues that you won't address will always make it pointless or counterproductive. Infinite progression goes hand in hand with bots, catching up goes hand in hand with alts. Both are cancer both you will never fix because its against your religion. They both fuck up the game.

Now about sieging you can mess with the drying shit as much as you want. Raiders will only bother once they know they can win for sure. The problem is still the fact the result of a siege is two options complete failure or complete destruction. Of course partial success will also not work with infinite progression.

PVP itself aparently AD is quite upset the competition is using non rage characters to reinforce the few rage characters around. Well no fucking shit satiations are so punishing risking death at this stage with a rage character is for those who are too stupid to realize they will be utterly useless after. I'm sure you'll knee jerk this to remove rage protection even though it's probably the only thing that keeps a lot of people playing.

So you shaved a few percentages on cheese if reports are to be believed and introduced a new satiations. Again bandaids. Satiations themselves are shit. I know it's hunger that gets the most hate but it's satiations and its because of the fucking randomness. Why would you think building a system around how RNG can fuck you was a good idea. Any good designer knows RNG is to be used to give buffs and rewards. You made it a fucking punishment. Think how a normal rpg/strategy game works where RNG is involved how a player plays so I do this ammount of damage at this chance means worst case scenario I can kill the target in 5 hits but 3 on average. If I get the shit rolls I'll just retry with next one in a few minutes. How it goes in haven, if I get worst streak of 3 satiations rolls in a row (not that fucking unlikely) it just means i ain't eating that shit for 2 days. Great job.

You made knar flotsam I'm guessing this is your solution to make whale fighting fair to give the monsters a chance to win eh? Monsters can't get to win because your game takes months to years to develop a character. So people will drag the whales to shore. Stop leaving in larpy land and knowledge you can never have fights that are not guaranteed wins for someone knowing what he's doing because you insist on this shitty progression system.

The pali cascade lol siege system working the way raiders want it to work why so mean to raiders and fix it?

Meh
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby ErdTod » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

I would prefer if catch up mechanics would be somewhat gameplay induced. I.e. a hearth magic that increases your feps related to the server top or whatever. So it's not "on" by default, and also costs at least some little xp.
ErdTod

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed May 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Avu wrote:Some wingy bullshit

You mad bro? I mean, you made some solid points, but the whiney entitled brat attitude you bring with you kinda makes it cancer to listen to.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Ejnekor » Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Catch up mechanics in any game are unfair to people who play a lot. So one person bursting his butt over something only to see that someone else gets it much easier. Making catch up mechanics mechanical in game, especially when game is about competition in the first place will ruin it for people who care about it.

Before doing things like that - make up your mind. Catch up mechanic currently are player-made trading. When person gets better tools that he has and starts to bump their production. Allowing people to have better chances to get better metal, for example - will just discourage people who play for that. You WILL lose players due to that, because that is one of the things some players find interesting in this game.

As soon as you start introducing bias - game becomes pointless for big factions (unless they are behind, ofcourse and then you kind of screwing up people who work harder). Yet hermits won't be affected much. Stop trying to balance people who play a lot with people who barely do.
Ejnekor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements