Game Development: Ceiling Pear

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ceiling Pear

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Kaios wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Reality: patrol bots, and or nabs selling said foragables for a pittance they think is treasure in a market devalued by robots that they can't really compete in even if more of the resource is always useful because of a global pool the robots take 90% of

How is that different from now?

It wouldn't be? That's the point. It's why adding more things that are extremely valuable to foraging like icicles, salt, ancient roots would be bad. UNPOPULAR OPINION: claiming/defending/attacking relevant localized resources is kinda fun, and should stay... Even if it's too hard to remove other resource villages/pclaims, and having to build a vclaim every 10 mini-maps is kinda gross.

pppp wrote:Superimposing another [Perlin noise] qfield over existing qfields, but being a function of (x,y,time) rather than only (x,y) would solve the above problem with checking only one spot while current good spots will still remain better on average.

With the size of quality nodes this world I don't think it would change behavior much. I mean, if you have a Q500 mammoth node you're probably going to check more than the absolute peak whenever you're farming it.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:UNPOPULAR OPINION: claiming/defending/attacking relevant localized resources is kinda fun, and should stay... Even if it's too hard to remove other resource villages/pclaims, and having to build a vclaim every 10 mini-maps is kinda gross.

ya that's definitely not fun to me but whatever floats your boat
Kaios

Postby pppp » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
pppp wrote:Superimposing another [Perlin noise] qfield over existing qfields, but being a function of (x,y,time) rather than only (x,y) would solve the above problem with checking only one spot while current good spots will still remain better on average.

With the size of quality nodes this world I don't think it would change behavior much. I mean, if you have a Q500 mammoth node you're probably going to check more than the absolute peak whenever you're farming it.

Depending on numbers. Assuming equal weights, a random spot may show up where there was none and a top spot can be nullified by "anti-spot". Searching the area will certainly give good results but finding the peak will be way harder in the first place. Finding a static peak will require a sizable sample. Mammoths will suck more that average in that respect because they are way less frequent than e.g. chantrelles.
pppp

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:16 pm

haha yes global pool is a bad idea. just spawn in hard mobs that dont spawn away like trolls when people over farm things. waaaaaaay better fix than global pool imo.
its the approach witcher 3 took when you over farmed cows. (it worked)
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Colin500 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 pm

wonder-ass wrote:haha yes global pool is a bad idea. just spawn in hard mobs that dont spawn away like trolls when people over farm things. waaaaaaay better fix than global pool imo.

AI in this game can be cheesed easily, especially on land.
You should also know that the witcher approach was buggy as hell too, there were several occasions where the supposed "guardian" of cows, was just running around letting himself get hit.
Colin500

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 pm

wonder-ass wrote:haha yes global pool is a bad idea. just spawn in hard mobs that dont spawn away like trolls when people over farm things. waaaaaaay better fix than global pool imo.

I can think of at least a couple of MMOs that did similar things. It didn't work that well, and given we can "over stat" things pretty easily, it seems like it'd be a lot of work for nothing.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 am

MagicManICT wrote:

I can think of at least a couple of MMOs that did similar things. It didn't work that well, and given we can "over stat" things pretty easily, it seems like it'd be a lot of work for nothing.

trolls are still REALLY spooky only reason people can kill it is because you can kite it on 4th speed.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Kaios » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am

jorb wrote:Micro-patch, as we're working on something bigger, and as we're taking some time off during the summer. No patch next week.

Will the something bigger make this world any less boring than it is now like damn I was calling out people for quitting so soon and saying they were bored while I felt like there was a lot for me to do but even I'm reaching that point now...
Kaios

Postby iamahh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 pm

devstream hinted it was Seasons, so it won't become less "boring", maybe more annoying, which is awesome for those players who think farming is too boring and need more substeps

old worlds are what they are (i like em), maybe a change comes from Object Owned Objects or Custom Buildings, but that's far away
iamahh

Postby DatSheep » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 pm

very nice chaarterstone change

>"Added stockpiles for everything, infinite capacity... or at least one for pears, capacity 30." very naice u sly devil
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Previous

Return to Announcements