Game Development: Stalking Garden

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stalking Garden

Postby rhzk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Jorbro, you're ma bro! And if so, Ima your bro too? Yes or yes?
rhzk

Postby Randomovna » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 pm

someone found burrower stalks ? they exist ? what this mean "Find one!" ? ?? ??? ???? ?? ?? ??
Randomovna

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm

spend some time first... like with fulgurite, lodbsters, small ant wings or any other thing they've "added"
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby SovietUnion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Can't you have a proper agile lifecycle? 2 week (or even monthly) sprints with reviews at the end for everybody via stream.

Then add proper release management with automated pushing to UAT and if tests there pass a 70% (can be adjusted) score, they get automatically pushed to PROD.

We're not in the 1990s anymore. There are tools and processes widely available for this. It will make your life easier too.

*Edit: Publicly available backlog too pls!
Notable characters: Cpt. Danko, Kng. Danko

LS of MorningWood (as of W7)
North Star market owner (W11)
King of North Star Kingdom & Market (W12)
LS of MorningWood (W13), quit early cause reasons
Open village of North Star (W14)

"Not really. But meh.. who needs proper communication anyways"
SovietUnion

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

SovietUnion wrote:Can't you have a proper agile lifecycle? 2 week (or even monthly) sprints with reviews at the end for everybody via stream.

:roll:

Did Einstein conform to the "standards" when he published his theories? I think not. I'm not saying Haven will ever be as grand as what Einstein in comparison, but not everyone works in the same way. Let them do what they do in the means that are best suited for them.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Ants wrote:
MrBunzy wrote:An idea for foraged curios not being shit is to replace them with crafted curios that have foraged ingredients. For example, instead of studying edelweiss you could study bouquet of edelweiss which has string in recipe, or instead of studying flotsam you study shipwreck button, which has linseed oil. This allows quality to scale a bit more with industry so they will not simply become obsolete when crop/metal quality gets too high.

yes. bug collection is a good example of a crafted curio with "foraged" ingredients that is a good curio and worth gathering 6 different types of bugs to make. I also liked the similar idea posted of having same mechanic applied to bouquet where more types of flowers = better.
sabinati

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 pm

jorb wrote:
Aceb wrote:Even while changes were restored in that regard, I still didn't see any explanation or way of thinking why such changes were made in first place, making me glad that You did restore but also making me being very uneasy that it still looks like the toilet bowl was just closed and shit is still there.

Our analysis is that in-base autarky is a problem with the game. Self-contained and self-supporting bases reduce the need to get out and about, and with that also the dynamism of the game. Fewer encounters, fewer interactions with others, less multiplayer. Foraging used to be more of a reason to get out and about, but garden pots have reduced that need, and this was a big argument made against the pots when they were first released. Arguing from realism, blueberries (European) and chantrelles are not grown as crops to any large extent.

I am aware of the counter arguments (people would bot forage) and (low quality makes forage irrelevant) and (there are in-base replacements for a lot of the foods) and (people are heavily invested in the mechanic as it stood), and some of those were forcefully stated in this thread, and merit some consideration, and hence we re-evaluated. I maintain that the initial impulse was sound, and I do want to shift the balance more in favor of the wilderness, but can concede to making it a more gradual project.

if we take a broader view of "foraging" to include all activities outside of the base, there are some things already that have a good payoff, like some of the stuff made from cave slime, the highly rewarding foods made from e.g. fairy mushrooms, driftkelp, etc, whales, mammoths, dungeons are all worth doing. I'd like to see more entry level dungeons and maybe some more critters filling upper end of things that are worthwhile to hunt, i feel like bears have lost a lot of value and hunted meat in general has lost a lot of value this world, which is part of what i was talking about in the last stream about the mid tier foods being too weak

iirc, there was some discussion in the last stream of some other mechanics that might encourage activity out of base, such as more dangerous zones with more rewarding items, either at map edges or map center or randomly distributed, that would be prohibitive to build a base in, maybe having heavy decay even on claims or some such thing.
sabinati

Postby Dakkan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Different types of fine bones could contribute to the fossil collection quality? And maybe one or two types of new petrified seashells?
Dakkan

Postby sabinati » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 pm

seashell collection could be a thing, giving another use to razor clam, barnacle, mussel, oyster, starfish, petrified seashell, and potential new ones
sabinati

Postby tyrtix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 pm

sabinati wrote:seashell collection could be a thing, giving another use to razor clam, barnacle, mussel, oyster, starfish, petrified seashell, and potential new ones

put in crab shell and seahorse too? I like collections, they make cool decorations too :p

Low level, easy collection: stone/mineral collection.
tyrtix

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements