Game Development: Stalking Garden

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stalking Garden

Postby Ants » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:17 am

sabinati wrote:
Ants wrote:
MrBunzy wrote:An idea for foraged curios not being shit is to replace them with crafted curios that have foraged ingredients. For example, instead of studying edelweiss you could study bouquet of edelweiss which has string in recipe, or instead of studying flotsam you study shipwreck button, which has linseed oil. This allows quality to scale a bit more with industry so they will not simply become obsolete when crop/metal quality gets too high.

yes. bug collection is a good example of a crafted curio with "foraged" ingredients that is a good curio and worth gathering 6 different types of bugs to make. I also liked the similar idea posted of having same mechanic applied to bouquet where more types of flowers = better.

The flower collection wouldn't boost foraging much since you can grow most types of flowers in pots, though.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 am

Ants wrote:The flower collection wouldn't boost foraging much since you can grow most types of flowers in pots, though.

Don't you fucking start this again
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:53 am

daily reminder that:
  • Garden pots were never super relevant
  • Gardener credo was never relevant at all
  • The gem nerf had a bigger impact in terms of time retroactively wasted than gardener being even less useful
  • Nobody gave a shit about the gem nerf
  • Will requirements for all fast travel was reduced by half because everybody wanted it
  • Salt's effect doubled because people bitched about it being worthless

This is genuinely the best balancing patch of the world so far
Three completely neutral changes with two really positive changes is a super good outcome
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:daily reminder that:
  • The gem nerf had a bigger impact in terms of time retroactively wasted than gardener being even less useful
  • Will requirements for all fast travel was reduced by half because everybody wanted it

Three completely neutral changes with two really positive changes is a super good outcome

the rest got overshadowed by the pot nerf. will requirement prob the biggest + this update.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby sabinati » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 am

Ants wrote:The flower collection wouldn't boost foraging much since you can grow most types of flowers in pots, though.

currently, but that doesn't mean it will always be the case
only foraged: edels, frog crowns, marsh mallow, chamomile, wintergreen, thistle
farmed: poppy
garden pots: lady's mantle, snapdragon, bluebell, nettle, yarrow, dandelion, clover, cavebulb???

also even if it wasn't a boost to foraging per se it would give a reason to grow lady's mantle, snapdragon, nettle, dandelion and clover, because right now there isn't one. and if they had dropped, say, lady's mantle, snapdragon, nettle, dandelion, and clover off of the list of things that could be potted, i don't think there would have been 20 pages of bitching about it.
sabinati

Postby KwonChiMin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:47 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:daily reminder that:

Garden pots and credos are pretty relevant for hermits, that have a decent source of curio from bluebells with less time to spend for searching (heavy industry villages outgrows that pretty fast)
Gem nerf concerns such a small part of community, that could be neglected (i guess you can count on 2 hands fingers those who REALLY mass-studied gems, if u take guys and not accounts)
Lowering will requirements goes counter the logic of "lets get people out of walls" of gardening pots nerf/foraging "boost"
Salt is brought back to half of what it was pre-world 11. And even then it became not a "kill for" item at some point.

So the "balancing" of the patch was not as great as u are trying to tell.
KwonChiMin

Postby Vulgarr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:52 am

Outrage aside has anyone found one of those stalks yet?

Vulgarr

Postby Agrik » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am

jorb wrote:Our analysis is that in-base autarky is a problem with the game. Self-contained and self-supporting bases reduce the need to get out and about, and with that also the dynamism of the game. Fewer encounters, fewer interactions with others, less multiplayer.
Maybe it can be helped by making terrains (biomes) more localized. I mean, terrains and all terrain-dependent spawn should be less evenly spread over the world. W11 is already a less homogenous mix than earlier worlds, but I think a step or two in the same direction would be better. For example, AFAIK, there are only two not very large areas on the southern continent where chives grows naturally. If the same will be true for many significant resources, any single base (existing only in one place at once) would be less self-sufficient.

But. If teleports are too easy and cheap, this can be not enough. We will simply get "hyper-bases" consisting of several villages connected with charter stones, roads, etc. As I imagine, this can be prevented either by restricting teleports somehow (to make people travel outside of base!) or by making these localized terrains significantly move over time. The former seem to be more good-looking.

jorb wrote:Foraging used to be more of a reason to get out and about, but garden pots have reduced that need, and this was a big argument made against the pots when they were first released.
It seems that the purpose of pots should be rediscussed and reviewed. While they allow players to get "forageables" of Q higher than top natural, it does not revive foraging itself.

I suppose that the problem with Q of forageables should be solved inside the foraging mechanics somehow, while gardening pots may help with quantities and regrowing far from natural terrains but not Q growth.
Agrik

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 am

KwonChiMin wrote:Garden pots and credos are pretty relevant for hermits, that have a decent source of curio from bluebells

To be fair, I don't know exactly what a casual hermit's study looks like right now, but let's say the next best easy curio is 400LP/hour less. 365 * 24 * 400 = 3.5M LP/year. If the cute li'l hermit in question spent the time he used to get gardener/build pots/farm bluebells/periodically upgrade pots to do literally anything relevant instead, he'd still come off with more LP/effort spent by a wide margin. Plus hey, an additional credo that isn't garbage is -10 quests to do.

KwonChiMin wrote:Gem nerf concerns such a small part of community, that could be neglected

The more exclusive something overpowered is, the more overpowered it is. If studying gems for like 120k LP/hour were trivial to do, it wouldn't be something that makes you insanely strong, it'd just be another mandatory thing everybody does.

I don't wanna sound like an elitist, but this thread is literally 28 pages of people misvaluing their own efforts, and 2 pages of people being outraged on principal because there's no correlation between garden pots and foraging being relevant. Which, the second group is correct, but pedantic

@J&L don't let TEH H8ERS get u down
fricken' nerds get hysterical over literally nothing but when huge changes happen only like 3 ppl even notice
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby SovietUnion » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Did Einstein conform to the "standards" when he published his theories? I think not. I'm not saying Haven will ever be as grand as what Einstein in comparison, but not everyone works in the same way. Let them do what they do in the means that are best suited for them.

As somebody who understands the topic of IT project management in current small-scale and international companies, I am suggesting a transformation that may very well benefit not only the game, the players, but also the developers.

The wide adoption of agile methodologies proves its helpfulness, increase in transparency and also in productivity.

I'm suggesting a better way, how to approach the game development based on best practices.

Naturally, it's just a suggestion and it can be easily ignored.

@Jorb, Loftar, feel free to message me if you're at least a bit interested. SW development always was chaos, but it can be an organized chaos with the right approach! :)
Notable characters: Cpt. Danko, Kng. Danko

LS of MorningWood (as of W7)
North Star market owner (W11)
King of North Star Kingdom & Market (W12)
LS of MorningWood (W13), quit early cause reasons
Open village of North Star (W14)

"Not really. But meh.. who needs proper communication anyways"
SovietUnion

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements