Game Development: Fealty Fountain

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fealty Fountain

Postby stickman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:51 am

about realms. with depleting player base its actually getting to the point where smaller realms have to quest to keep authority up. which makes it a chore.. which then makes you not want to play because the only thing your doing is checking your chickens and trying to quest for no reason... eventually there will only probably be 3 realms viable due to not enough players in certain areas... sure i think some people have bots for this... but i dont think thats the point. I think 2 smaller realms are out of authority already.

if a small realm is draining 40k a day that means you would need 20-40 active players to keep that up getting a few lore events each day.. but i imagine if you did a census on the NW, N, central and NE continents there are VERY few active players, its a ghosttown on all of them, i have been going around abit questing and i have not run into anyone in a month maybe. And if they are playing they are just maintaining their farm or something because they are not going outside their walls. I just feel like realms have degraded into another unfun chore ontop of all the other chores u need to do
stickman

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am

stickman wrote:I just feel like realms have degraded into another unfun chore ontop of all the other chores u need to do

Feel free to suggest better mechanics.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby xzo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 am

jorb wrote:
loftar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:no cave fern spores quest fix? seriously?

Not sure what you're referring to, actually. I'm pretty sure cave fern spores haven't been included in any quests since that was fixed at the start of the world. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

You seem to be: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=66150

xzo wrote:Loftar, I tagged you on discord, I just got quest to " study 2x Cave fern spores "

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/376351356627451908/604027311917891584/unknown.png

can you just tell me if you are going to fix it or should i abandon ?
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:12 am

If you already got a quest like that then you need to abandon it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby xzo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:03 pm

jorb wrote:If you already got a quest like that then you need to abandon it.

I was hoping that you could swap this quest for study feather trinket or something alike, but will abandon if that can't be fixed, no biggie
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby stickman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:11 pm

i guess my question is does authority need to drain at all? at the beginning of the world we always had max authority all the time and was able to take tons for making a well. loosing a realm challenge etc didnt even matter. the only benifit of having tons of authroity is the ability to take it out so you can mining song/craft/dig deeper wells. Once your well is deep enough and your miners all get bored there is really only crafting as far as i can tell.

everything in this game requires upkeep, your claim, your village etc... and any large group of players is going to be maintaining dozens of villages and claims to cover all their resources. This world you made villages much harder to maintian on noobs... you probably thought that it would prevent people from making proxy villages but it really didint, it just made the people who have to maintain all of them much more annoyed.

The thought I had is what if Cairns, Menhir and idols Cost authority to build and had no upkeep associated with them? This way even a small dedicated group could still improve their realm. Of course without drain the bigger realms with all the current active players might be getting hundreds of thousands of authority extra.. but i think if you adjusted the mechanic of converting authority to exp it would be fine.

other suggestions if you think that idea is retarted:
-the cost of realm drain upkeep could scale with the number of active players online. there are 160 players online when i play, i imagine maybe 50+ of those are bots.. so maybe only 100 real players. and i feel like the realm drain was meant for like 500+ active people
-you could alter the the cost of each realm buff in terms of daily upkeep.
-add other ways to increase its authority which doesn't rely on random lore events or the like 1/5 chance to get EXp from a quest. could even add the ability to dump your spare exp into the realm... i have 130k exp i will never use.
-could add the ability to temp disable some of your realm objects so that they dont drain your realm (i think you need to break them to make them stop draining currently?) so if all your buddies stopped playing you could still maintain a scaled back version of your realm until you release an amazing update that makes them want to come back.
stickman

Postby Ants » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:44 pm

So... will it be possible for realms to spam fealty stones and build claimed palisades around them? If they do that, they won't be "easy to destroy". This seems to defeat the purpose of making cairns unclaimable :?

It shouldn't be possible for a realm with zero warriors to be able to survive just by using mechanics like that. Warfare should exist.

A+ on the fountains and new hat, though. Those are great.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Ants » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:01 am

loftar wrote:
Saxony4 wrote:also don't see a reason for a bar of metal to be required when it's not going to show up anyway.

That was done just to raise the tech level of the fountain a bit (it doesn't seem unreasonable that it contains a metal pipe or two), just so that not every random nub camp has one. If anything, I'd generally like to "artificially" raise the tech level of it quite a bit further, as building fountains should reflect a more advanced society in some way or another.

I'm generally considering if adding various intermediate crafting components like turned shafts or whatever couldn't be a good idea for some recipes, but clearly their production would have to imply something more than a simple other crafting step in order to be meaningful.

Idea: keep these small fountains relatively simple but make big, fancy fountains a new realm buff object.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (253.07 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Embers » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 am

To be honest, fealty stones sound like just another palisade/claim exploitfiesta waiting to happen. Also wouldn't it be better to make it an another realm object with separate setting of allowing to build fealty stones? I mean i'm all happy for the super anxious molerats to have their mines covered by the kingdom, but isn't it a little bit weird that they don't need to notify anyone in a kingdom, or even be a member of one?
Embers

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 am

Ants wrote:
loftar wrote:
Saxony4 wrote:also don't see a reason for a bar of metal to be required when it's not going to show up anyway.

That was done just to raise the tech level of the fountain a bit (it doesn't seem unreasonable that it contains a metal pipe or two), just so that not every random nub camp has one. If anything, I'd generally like to "artificially" raise the tech level of it quite a bit further, as building fountains should reflect a more advanced society in some way or another.

I'm generally considering if adding various intermediate crafting components like turned shafts or whatever couldn't be a good idea for some recipes, but clearly their production would have to imply something more than a simple other crafting step in order to be meaningful.

Idea: keep these small fountains relatively simple but make big, fancy fountains a new realm buff object.
Untitled.png

Yes please
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements