Game Development: Basket Pointer

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Basket Pointer

Postby Fostik » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:33 pm

I like seasons idea. It will not be a big change for now, but using seasons as a pattern will allow them to rework/add a lot of mechanics to the game, based on seasons.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Ants » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Are we gonna get a world reset with seasons? This seems like the kind of change that warrants a reset, depending on how much it changes things.

MooCow wrote:
Ants wrote:That would make the quality gap between sprucecaps and factoins smaller but would it really eliminate farmbotting? Whoever has the most top q seeds at the end of the season would have a headstart over everyone else on quality grinding. People would probably keep botting crops like flax.

In my opinion, the problem isn't botting, the problem is that botting gives a huge advantage. If one person has fun playing the game with bots, and another has fun doing it himself that's fine. The problem is that the botter is leagues ahead of everyone else.
If botting only gives you a slight edge, people wouldn't be bothered by it. Systems that reduce the power of botting are good.

I did a simulation a while back which shows the advantage that bots get from farming
This is what the q growth looks like, depending on how many different plots you have. 100 plantings means you get 100 totally separate random number roles.
x -> crop cycles
y -> q
The solid lines are the average, the dotted lines are +/- 2 standard deviations. They represent 95.4% of cases

Average number of crop cycles to get from q10 to q1000
    1     532.23
    2     345.77
    3     285.19
    4     272.06
    5     261.61
    6     253.05
    8     246.62
    10   241.82
    100 225.99

Yeah, true. When you put it like that the seed idea seems pretty good.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby dafels » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Ants wrote:Are we gonna get a world reset with seasons? This seems like the kind of change that warrants a reset, depending on how much it changes things.

Why would it? I think seasons are going to be just re-modeled trees for every season and some season being better regarding to buffs in some ways than the other seasons, but we are yet to see that, in the worst case we will have a new frostbite wound in the winters. Season dependent new forageables and events would be cool tho
dafels

Postby xzo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 am

dafels wrote:we will have a new frostbite wound in the winters. Season dependent new forageables and events would be cool tho

And snowman dungeon
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby ErdTod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm

I hope seasons would be a big content update.
These weekly smaller patches are good in terms of keeping the game alive, i.e. showing that it's actively developed.
But of course big content updates are what is thrilling and makes me wanna have another few month of HnH!
ErdTod

Postby Ants » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:21 pm

dafels wrote:
Ants wrote:Are we gonna get a world reset with seasons? This seems like the kind of change that warrants a reset, depending on how much it changes things.

Why would it? I think seasons are going to be just re-modeled trees for every season and some season being better regarding to buffs in some ways than the other seasons, but we are yet to see that, in the worst case we will have a new frostbite wound in the winters. Season dependent new forageables and events would be cool tho

It probably won't change the world like oceans did, but it might bring significant change regardless. Wildlife spawning will probably change as bears go into hibernation and rivers freeze over in winter, different types of fish will probably spawn only during certain seasons, farming/gardening will probably get an overhaul (let's hope it doesn't make the farmer/gardener credos terrible!), foraging will get tweaked and if Jorb feels particularly sadistic maybe we'll have to wear coats in winter to avoid dying of hypothermia.

I guess it might not require a new world, though. It's probably not worth resetting the world until the siege/combat systems get a fix. Can't have proper political conflicts without war.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby CTheRain » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Ants wrote:
dafels wrote:
Ants wrote:until the siege/combat systems get a fix. Can't have proper political conflicts without war.

TBH I wonder why they don't just add active defense systems to make fighting villages more interactive instead of waiting around. I come from ARK so defending in my view comes from being online and having proper defenses setup. Even when outnumbered 1-10 you can still win if you play your cards right. Its your own turf. And when offline defense systems increase in power. Its a different game but the timegating in this is worse than a game that's like working 2 full time jobs if you don't bot. Combat needs revamped but it all comes to the same answer each time when they try something innovative (can be easily botted). They allow it to happen but they try avoid content that can be botted... Then the content they do add gets botted. Insulting man. The game loop is fine atm in terms of competition. You compete with quality constantly against other factions but you need to also prevent it from being a HUGE advantage. Soft caps. The grind would still be there. Slightly better advantages is better than no advantage or a huge one. In ARK we constantly breed for stats on dinos. We farm blueprints for better gear. We grind % for gear. We farm constantly for war efforts. Its the same here. Your constantly doing something to increase your competitive edge. ADHD btw.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby Lalaxx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:54 pm

At winter you can't grow plants or raise farm quality and it remains for week. Some farmers would like a vacation from time to time ;P
Lalaxx

Postby borka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 pm

And there is the good old hothouse idea from C&I ... ;)

#Winter is coming
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby popfor » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 am

Having to harvest your crops into seeds to store prior to winter coming, lest your crops die, would be very interesting.
Image Image
my avatar is stolen without permission
#badboysclub
popfor

Location: E̹̙̺̬̖͈̘̭̙̘̔̈́̍͆͌̋̊̈́̀̎d̡̨̺̠̠̜̲̹͕̯̑̀͂͂̈̇̿̏͝͝g̨̙̻̼͎͖̱͔̗͙̐̅̇͗̈́̔͛̌̌͠ŷ͔̼͓̺̮̪̫̙̬̐͊̀́̊͆͝͝͝ͅ

Previous

Return to Announcements