Game Development: Basket Pointer

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Basket Pointer

Postby KwonChiMin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Granger wrote:This. And in case you're not sure if you got it right please take a week longer (instead of delivering something broken).

OR they can deliver something broken to reanimate forum in a hate wave. Would be also nice to have a live stream while implementing such a game changing feature.
KwonChiMin

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Hoping that seasons will actually fix some of the problems with the game, and not just be some weekly tree-reskin with probably some added tedium just because.
DDDsDD999

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Hoping that seasons will actually fix some of the problems with the game

Any in particular you are thinking of?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby The_Blode » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 pm

jorb wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Hoping that seasons will actually fix some of the problems with the game

The_Blode

Postby Ants » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

The_Blode wrote:
jorb wrote:

I think he means problems that could be fixed with seasons. I can't think of any, myself. Seasons will be a nice atmospheric addition to the game, but it won't encourage people to PVP or make questing fun.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I would suggest farming is kinda broken in the sense that the robots who do quality progression require absolutely zero interaction, and without a robot raising crop qualities in any meaningful way isn't reasonable. A seasons related fix for this could be to add topQ seeds from the previous season into the wild windsown weed pool, maybe even regionally or for a limited time to create forced player interactions that doesn't completely exclude the nabs
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby mvgulik » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:03 am

Seasons ... interesting. :)

For a potential nostalgic reading ... A very early forum post/topic on the subject.
Ideas! (Seasons,Fishing,Worship,Food Storage,Tools ect.) (2009 btw)
mvgulik

Postby Ants » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I would suggest farming is kinda broken in the sense that the robots who do quality progression require absolutely zero interaction, and without a robot raising crop qualities in any meaningful way isn't reasonable. A seasons related fix for this could be to add topQ seeds from the previous season into the wild windsown weed pool, maybe even regionally or for a limited time to create forced player interactions that doesn't completely exclude the nabs

That would make the quality gap between sprucecaps and factoins smaller but would it really eliminate farmbotting? Whoever has the most top q seeds at the end of the season would have a headstart over everyone else on quality grinding. People would probably keep botting crops like flax.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 am

Ye, I absolutely would continue botting flax/turnips, but the system would feel a lot less cumbersome if I could take a 2 month break and then be back where I was after 1/2 seasons. Plus, I suspect any of the alternatives to the current system, even a static +X quality per cycle would still be botted - so it's not as though time is being spent on something that will be fixed in a better way later.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MooCow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 am

Ants wrote:That would make the quality gap between sprucecaps and factoins smaller but would it really eliminate farmbotting? Whoever has the most top q seeds at the end of the season would have a headstart over everyone else on quality grinding. People would probably keep botting crops like flax.

In my opinion, the problem isn't botting, the problem is that botting gives a huge advantage. If one person has fun playing the game with bots, and another has fun doing it himself that's fine. The problem is that the botter is leagues ahead of everyone else.
If botting only gives you a slight edge, people wouldn't be bothered by it. Systems that reduce the power of botting are good.

I did a simulation a while back which shows the advantage that bots get from farming
This is what the q growth looks like, depending on how many different plots you have. 100 plantings means you get 100 totally separate random number roles.
x -> crop cycles
y -> q
The solid lines are the average, the dotted lines are +/- 2 standard deviations. They represent 95.4% of cases

Average number of crop cycles to get from q10 to q1000
    1     532.23
    2     345.77
    3     285.19
    4     272.06
    5     261.61
    6     253.05
    8     246.62
    10   241.82
    100 225.99
MooCow

PreviousNext