Game Development: Season's Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Season's Greetings

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:30 am

It appears that garden pots are functional during winter: I've planted/grown/harvested blueberries for a quest. Currently growing clover and bluebells, seem to be working.
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby DPblH » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:16 pm

valeriesusanne wrote:It appears that garden pots are functional during winter: I've planted/grown/harvested blueberries for a quest. Currently growing clover and bluebells, seem to be working.

And it is fine. We already lost a tons of content during winter. If you want more "reality" then just simply go IRL outside, or don't plant anything into garden pots.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Well at least I didn't have to wait out winter to finish my gardener's credo, so I'm happy :)
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby yozzik111 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:45 pm

The only thing I don't like about winter is that towercaps underground are stomped too. Outside temperatures are kinda don't have a major impact on the undergrounds.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby Agrik » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 pm

DPblH wrote:
valeriesusanne wrote:It appears that garden pots are functional during winter: I've planted/grown/harvested blueberries for a quest. Currently growing clover and bluebells, seem to be working.

And it is fine.
It would be fine indoors. Maybe pots can be made to check the surface underneath them, i.e. is it a natural ground or a house/basement/burrow/cave floor. Then continuing to grow indoors, decaying outdoors. Maybe pausing any changes if packed and stored in a cart or like that with no ground underneath at all.
Agrik

Postby Agrik » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 am

As yesterday I was threatened in the realm chat to be hit in the head with a bat if reached, because of my post on limiting the pots in winter (never thought I have any significant influence on the devs), I want to say that any kind of unlimited pots allowing to grow everything and yielding the harvest tenfold is an option too. Not that I believe it would be exactly beneficial for the game project, but if there is some kind of a pot business going on that makes people so passionate, I'm not the one to mess with it.
Agrik

Postby Headchef » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am

Agrik wrote:As yesterday I was threatened in the realm chat to be hit in the head with a bat if reached, because of my post on limiting the pots in winter (never thought I have any significant influence on the devs), I want to say that any kind of unlimited pots allowing to grow everything and yielding the harvest tenfold is an option too. Not that I believe it would be exactly beneficial for the game project, but if there is some kind of a pot business going on that makes people so passionate, I'm not the one to mess with it.

Pot is always big business. 420blazeit

But about garden pots the reason people are "passionate" about it is because there are many people especially on forums who basically ask for "make game harder" (where harder means: more annoying) while most likely being sprucecaps themselves. Or atleast not properly developed.

And that in itself would be somewhat fine but at the same time we got the other 95% of the game which is still unfinished and unbalanced.

So just like the season update in general, it's just adding more chaos and less quality of life for those who still play while adding nothing meaningful (yet?) to the game.

Sleds and chunks of ice aren't proper content they're more like bandaids for how shit the winter is. And then people will come along saying winter is supposed to be shit well.... It's like beating dead horse, it drove even more people away from the game.

And with all that happening, wanting to harass people who probably do barely anything except maintain their garden pots, isn't well received :lol:
Headchef

Postby blinx » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 pm

I, as a long time player, love the addition of seasons.

They are variety and the feeling of passing time to a game whose world felt largely timeless, which I like.
They add a necessity to plan and strategize - grow in the summer, cook and craft in the winter - just like in the real iron age.
Winter is a fantastic time for questing and travelling! Kicksleds and frozen waterways allow for very fast movement.
Many people complain that they slow overall progress - but that has kind of been a goal of Jorbtar for a while now as far as I can tell; Halting the cycle of people getting into the endgame two months into a world and then quitting.

The seasons also add the potential for a lot of new and seasonally-themed content to be added, enriching the game.
Yes, this is not in yet, but let us all please remember that a team consisting of a grand total of only two guys do all the work for you ungrateful bastards.
blinx

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:41 pm

I like the concept of seasons. As it sits... doesn't work well. you have ~10 days of nothing with winter, and if it's something that is seasonally particular you want, you might have to wait 30-50 days for it to roll around again.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby blinx » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm

If you think there is *nothing* to do in winter other than sit on your hands and wait, that's a failure on your part - not theirs.
blinx

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements