Game Development: Season's Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Season's Greetings

Postby kimjungskill » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Good work on rolling out the start of the seasons mechanic. Also really good to see that pvp might actually get some more exciting combat.
kimjungskill

Postby Ants » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Vulgarr wrote:
jordancoles wrote:When custom clients were down after this update the server population dipped down below 100 for several hours. Someone updated Amber and it rose again. I think it's important to notice how deeply connected player population and custom clients are.

One of these days you guys are going to need to bring the default client up to par because these unpaid client devs aren't going to do the work for you guys forever, even though it may seem like that based on haven's entire history

My man's out here speaking truth. I enjoy the game a lot, I enjoy the effort a lot- I got introduced through ardennes client- When it and amber were both down and I tried out default I was so floored with how many basic things such as proper camera control and basic functionality such as being able to see what's an empty cupboard and what as at least one item in it was just -gone- and I'm a semi dedicated casual player in the sense that- I bot and automate absolutely nothing, I don't worry about playing catch up with 12-20 of the highest end people rolling 1K attributes deep. I just like to grow orchards and make booze and craft good quality curios for my buddies and hunt. And even then I noticed the lack of QoL options and- Without intending to be rude, common sense solutions and fixes.

Come add to the list.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66294&p=839084
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 pm

jordancoles wrote:One of these days you guys are going to need to bring the default client up to par because these unpaid client devs aren't going to do the work for you guys forever, even though it may seem like that based on haven's entire history

I agree that the default client could be better.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Dondy wrote:Is animal breeding slated to become cyclical too, with the lambs dropping only in spring and similar changes?

Hadn't actually thought of that. That might be fun. Or horrible, depending on perspective. I don't see it working with present quality mechanics, at least. Thoughts, chat?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I notice some trees are starting to turn fally as well. Very happy to have this in, and hoping to improve upon it!

jorb

Postby bmjclark » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Everytime the custom clients get out of date, all i can think if that if you have a client maker update your shit, you'd have player alarms while no one else does (radar too right? I dont think it's in the default client and i can't log into any client to check). Radar was optional in legacy really, but in this the camera is one of the strongest enemies the game has when it comes to actually seeing a player.

The game has gotten lucky so far that people like romovs continue to update their clients despite appearing to no longer play (just judging from the fact that he hadn't posted since february before yesterday). If all the client makers stopped like ardennes and shubla have, it could easily kill the game. When more than half your playerbase doesn't even seem to be willing to log in with the default client, i'd call it a bit of a problem.

That being said, im glad seasons are finally in the game. Icefishing when? ¦]
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Granger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:42 pm

jorb wrote:
Dondy wrote:Is animal breeding slated to become cyclical too, with the lambs dropping only in spring and similar changes?

Hadn't actually thought of that. That might be fun. Or horrible, depending on perspective. I don't see it working with present quality mechanics, at least. Thoughts, chat?

The quality mechanics that revolve around endless growth are cancer and need to be changed to something sane anyway, don't they?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby banok » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Congrats J+L

Interesting that you want movement/aim combat, its what I always wanted for haven (and quasi-enjoyed in salem), but never thought it likely since it presumely requires good framerates/netcode to not be terrible.
banok

Postby Granger » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm

banok wrote:Interesting that you want movement/aim combat, its what I always wanted for haven (and quasi-enjoyed in salem), but never thought it likely since it presumely requires good framerates/netcode to not be terrible.

In addition I hope you manage to come up with something that is agnostic to ping.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Vulgarr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Granger wrote:
jorb wrote:

The quality mechanics that revolve around endless growth are cancer and need to be changed to something sane anyway, don't they?

I think animal quality improving through breeding and culling is fine as is and makes perfect sense VS "The season changed- Even if you keep your animals indoors time for a dice roll."

To touch on the quality mechanics- it's still an unsolved rough patch when anything you can't ladder with another infinitely growing material or method to improve quality is worthless by default. Given how the "Meta" is just to make things tier up in quality to absurdity as it stands, I went from feverishly gathering glimmer moss to ignoring it in two weeks. Anything I can't plant or quality bump in recipes or crafts that use too many static quality foragables is similarly fallen to the wayside. Also not to shill my threads too hard but I touch upon this a bit in terms of foraged goods in my fishing critique and idea post too. Mostly about water goods but still.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66098
Vulgarr

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements