Game Development: Season's Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Season's Greetings

Postby Chebermech » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 pm

great work on hitting the seasonal milestone, just need to keep it out of a closet and add more meat to this skeleton =). That gif of changing seasons reminded me of Beasts and Bumpkins, just gotta implement a "character reproduction" mechanics, and aging to make it top notch, here's a reference picture by the way:

Seasons is a great opportunity to add more survival elements to make the game more challenging, really hoped for all of the seasons to last the same amount of time though, maybe with more content added for each season you will reconsider how long they last in the future.
Chebermech

Postby Agrik » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 pm

NeoBasilisk wrote:Being unable to farm for over a week is already a significant logistical issue if you need to feed a large number of animals. You need to increase your farming output by 17% during the rest of the year.
Or decrease the number of animals.
Agrik

Postby Nizuto » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 am

jorb wrote:[*] Crops will fall fallow in winter. Fallow crops can be harvested at any time for a reduced amount of seeds of the relevant plant.
[*] Cycling trellis crops will recede to their first cycle stage, and not grow, during winter.
[*] Non-Cycling trellis crops will stop growing during winter.

Why not also boost growth speed or bonus harvest for certain crops during certain seasons? Like cucumbers during summer-fall, or all tubers (carrots, beets etc.) during fall. Maybe even implement the concept of crop rotation as a bonus modifier for growth speed/quality.
At the moment winter has the most game changes while the rest of the seasons seem purely cosmetic. If you're gonna implement crop downsides for one, why not implement some benefits for the others to balance things out?

I hope this will be expanded in the future with features and doesn't end up forgotten like the water plans from back in late 2017 when miner credo got implemented. I'm still waiting for all those types of waters and their perks. The only new water type we got since then is saltwater which doesn't seem to have anything unique to it other than you cannot drink it.
Nizuto

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Granger wrote:
banok wrote:Interesting that you want movement/aim combat, its what I always wanted for haven (and quasi-enjoyed in salem), but never thought it likely since it presumely requires good framerates/netcode to not be terrible.

In addition I hope you manage to come up with something that is agnostic to ping.

this big time. it would be v sad if like half of our fighters cant play because they have shit ping.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 pm

wonder-ass wrote:
Granger wrote:
banok wrote:Interesting that you want movement/aim combat, its what I always wanted for haven (and quasi-enjoyed in salem), but never thought it likely since it presumely requires good framerates/netcode to not be terrible.

In addition I hope you manage to come up with something that is agnostic to ping.

this big time. it would be v sad if like half of our fighters cant play because they have shit ping.

To be fair, tactics like battle systems are also highly movement and aim based. It's a pretty vague descriptor. You can have shit ping because each turn has timers, and every move is literally determined by a set amount of movement, line of sight and direction.
Zentetsuken

Postby tyrtix » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm

I use amber all the time, and the feature i like more is the bad ortho cam and the ability to move from and to containers, most of the other things i don't use.
tyrtix

Postby Potjeh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:07 am

Client lag is also a big issue in such a combat system. FPS can get really low for many people when there's lots of hearthlings on the screen. Though rendering rewrite should solve that. Any rough ETA on when it'll be done? Weeks, months, a year?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby lwdragon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:22 am

Season idea are nice, but not perfect, as for example newcomers are quiet screwed if they join winter, or ppl gonna get stuck with credos, or gonna slow down some questing. And for current players its just made more cancer, need to expand farms, hunt more, gather more other shit and so on. Not mention trelises crops, dman each time wait 2 weeks for pepper regrowth....
lwdragon

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:04 am

lwdragon wrote:Season idea are nice, but not perfect, as for example newcomers are quiet screwed if they join winter, or ppl gonna get stuck with credos, or gonna slow down some questing. And for current players its just made more cancer, need to expand farms, hunt more, gather more other shit and so on. Not mention trelises crops, dman each time wait 2 weeks for pepper regrowth....

Why would a newcomer get screwed in they join in winter? Did you plant or harvest crops within your first 10 days of playing?

Seems to me that newcomers will be lucky to join in winter since they will be able to navigate over water to find a home without having to buy boat building.
Zentetsuken

Postby TheOriginalFive » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:02 am

Probably referring to the lack of fruits in the wild at this point.
TheOriginalFive

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements