Game Development: Season's Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Season's Greetings

Postby Vegan420 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:55 pm

jorb wrote:
jordancoles wrote:One of these days you guys are going to need to bring the default client up to par because these unpaid client devs aren't going to do the work for you guys forever, even though it may seem like that based on haven's entire history

I agree that the default client could be better.

Jorb wouldn't it make sense to work with the guys who are making the custom clients? Bankroll them some of that shop $ money if possible.
I don't know if it would do anything for the playerbase but it would make the workload a bit easier. Also you would be giving some incentive for the custom client devs to make better clients, leaving you and loftar to work on other things. It'd be nice if the default client could merge what makes the other custom clients into itself.

But things like tuning the graphical settings is quite important. On a laptop the default client is kinda laggy but on custom clients can be tuned down to manageable fps. I think fixing this into the default client would do a lot for the playerbase.

Also you should look into Data Oriented Design. I wouldn't be quick to say go rewrite the entire engine or anything but Data Oriented Design handles entities much better (less laggier) than Object Oriented Programming (java)
There's only minor differences but the performance differences are gigantic. There's a guy who has a simple engine that handles thousands of entities on screen with interacting physics with practically no lag, which is cool.

I feel like this game is a bit sluggish but i will blame that on java my friend.
C++ master race kek
Vegan420

Postby Ysh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Vegan420 wrote:Jorb wouldn't it make sense to work with the guys who are making the custom clients? Bankroll them some of that shop $ money if possible.
I don't know if it would do anything for the playerbase but it would make the workload a bit easier. Also you would be giving some incentive for the custom client devs to make better clients, leaving you and loftar to work on other things. It'd be nice if the default client could merge what makes the other custom clients into itself.

Why pay men when men already do this work for free? I think also jorb and loftar will like to do this work themself in general.

Vegan420 wrote:Also you should look into Data Oriented Design. I wouldn't be quick to say go rewrite the entire engine or anything but Data Oriented Design handles entities much better (less laggier) than Object Oriented Programming (java)
There's only minor differences but the performance differences are gigantic. There's a guy who has a simple engine that handles thousands of entities on screen with interacting physics with practically no lag, which is cool.

I feel like this game is a bit sluggish but i will blame that on java my friend.
C++ master race kek

Just client is write in java, game server is in C.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:16 pm

making a client is just a hobby to them.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 am

There are several features that you probably consider essential, -- turning off the day/night cycle, or flattening the terrain entirely, for example -- that we would never import to the default client. The default client should be better, but that is never going to be a replacment for custom clients, and hence the client is open source.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 am

Vegan420 wrote:Also you should look into Data Oriented Design

That sounds really difficult to actually do in practice especially for something relatively complicated like a client for a game. Of course optimizing some things to use cache may be of use, but I do not know how JVM does these things. One big issue in rendering is sending data from CPU to GPU, I think, I don't know how much delay comes from ram in that but probably not that much percentually.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby ctopolon4 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:57 am

jorb wrote:The default client should be better

mb start from displaying Qwater in flasks instead Qflask , and show remaining water in them and item wear without necessity hold the cursor over it...
hotkeys for hand slots? last 10 crafts? search in crafting recipes? clickable craft tree? making routes for knarr on big map? drink button(search any drinkable in inventory)?
ctopolon4

Postby shubla » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 am

ctopolon4 wrote:
jorb wrote:The default client should be better

mb start from displaying Qwater in flasks instead Qflask , and show remaining water in them and item wear without necessity hold the cursor over it...
hotkeys for hand slots? last 10 crafts? search in crafting recipes? clickable craft tree? making routes for knarr on big map? drink button(search any drinkable in inventory)?

But what is point to use already very limited development time for these things, as people who want them just use custom clients?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:41 pm

jorb wrote:turning off the day/night cycle
(that's just one end of the potential spectrum)

so ... when is that static electric lighting inside houses going to be changed.
Unlike mines, it seems only natural/artistic that they would be effected by outside lighting conditions.
mvgulik

Postby ctopolon4 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:15 pm

shubla wrote:But what is point to use already very limited development time for these things, as people who want them just use custom clients?

because 3rd side soft are not stable, not safe and breaking game balance for player base
ctopolon4

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:49 pm

jorb wrote:I recently got an offer that I did not want to refuse, so I will for the forseeable future also be working part time with a Swedish indie studio, Warpzone Studios, founded by some old friends of mine, working on a Dwarven colony simulator, called Hammerting, and there's a cool twitter post about that here. I expect that it will be a lot of fun, and, since my primary employer will in a sense still be Seatribe, any windfall from the project will be shared with loftar, who will continue full time with several larger coding projects that we have in the pipe once the rendering rewrite is done, including but not limited to object controlled objects, and possibly server parallellization. Our weekly dev sessions will continue as they have, and I have a good chunk of time available to just do graphics as well. All in all it's good news for everyone, and I hope you can see it that way as well! Check out Hammerting! It's going to be awesome, and I might do a stream or two with it once it gets to that point. Will, on that note, also announce the regular monthly Haven stream shortly.

Because jorb has forgotten about us....

I just noticed there's a demo out. Doesn't look like it's a separate demo, just a one hour timer on it. What's there is fun if you like the colony building type game.

Could you guys hurry up and take my money, please?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements