Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Postby Astarisk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:39 am

Ants wrote:
loftar wrote:
Ants wrote:Getting your siege engine shot down by archery towers immediately after breaking through the first wall of a palisade layer is what makes siege truly impossible.

Why is it that you don't take down the archery towers with catapults?

From what I understand, it's because if the defenders have built their base properly the catapult will be shot down before getting the chance to fire. I PM'd you a more detailed answer, hopefully it helps.

Anyone who builds a plot style village made of multiple layers of walls is impossible to siege -- no matter the behavior of the siege equipment. Focusing on siege as a priority is a waste of time. From what we can see with all variations of the systems given to us is that the community will find any way to abuse the system in order to avoid being sieged. Its almost impossible to make a fairly balanced siege system where everyone is on an equal footing. You all like to complain about the siege system, but you do so knowing that your village fully takes advantage of any method that will make it unsiegable. The game would benefit far more from changes in other areas than changes in siege. Unless the devs start policing villages there is almost no way they can make a fair siege system.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:51 am

bmjclark wrote:Just popping in to remind people that this game was actual at it's most popular when siege was basically impossible against anyone with more than 6 IQ (much like now) *that had actually read the forums and knew what the bugs and exploits were in w5-7. That is all, carry on with your autism ants.

*moderator clarification. if you're going to rant, at least get it right. Thanks!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pawnchito » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:22 am

Astarisk wrote:
Ants wrote:
From what I understand, it's because if the defenders have built their base properly the catapult will be shot down before getting the chance to fire. I PM'd you a more detailed answer, hopefully it helps.

Anyone who builds a plot style village made of multiple layers of walls is impossible to siege -- no matter the behavior of the siege equipment. Focusing on siege as a priority is a waste of time. From what we can see with all variations of the systems given to us is that the community will find any way to abuse the system in order to avoid being sieged. Its almost impossible to make a fairly balanced siege system where everyone is on an equal footing. You all like to complain about the siege system, but you do so knowing that your village fully takes advantage of any method that will make it unsiegable. The game would benefit far more from changes in other areas than changes in siege. Unless the devs start policing villages there is almost no way they can make a fair siege system.

Here is the thing. Even as a casual I've already set up my base to have a sizable amount of effort just to get some sub par stuff that I find valuable. Even if they break through, the general population knows enough to stash away the most valuable of valuable stuff in a vault somewhere. etc...

The real opportunity is getting people to go out of their camps and engaging in some good old fashioned passionate ass whoopin' type stuff. I think focusing on getting combat down correctly is going to build on the siege system and make that even more fun.

loftar wrote:
SovietUnion wrote:You can't run over critters with the kicksled :(

Intended behavior. :)

can we get an attachment to add to our sleds that will allow us to shred them as we zoomie around?
pawnchito

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:35 am

W10 shields with some fairly non-invasive balance changes would be the best siege I M O

BM's right, though. Siege being reasonable is not important to the game
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Badich » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:42 am

Great update! (pls don't ban)
London is the capital of Great Britain
Badich

Postby Gorakil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:53 am

loftar wrote:wHy iS iT tHaT yOu dOn'T tAkE dOwN tHe aRcHeRy tOwErS WiTh cAtApUlTs?

Gorakil

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Cool update. Will ice blocks possibly not melt during summer/fall if stored in a cellar?
Fierce_Deity

Postby delsus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Ice blocks can't be stored in knarrs/garden shed nor have a display sign icon, is this intended ?
delsus

Postby Prowny » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

This is fun!
Btw when you get knocked out on a kicksled you don't get the animation (you get the birds over your head but you are still riding it) which looks weird imo.
Also let us lift the thing please?
loftar wrote:The tears in this thread are so delicious
Prowny

Postby sabinati » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 pm

you can lift it
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements