Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:08 pm

Can ice become a building/paving material, please? It could remain intact all year long on mountain biomes but decay quickly everywhere else after winter ends. Then we could have this:

Paving with ice should make the ground slippery. Imagine a game of slippery shoeball :o

Astarisk wrote:Anyone who builds a plot style village made of multiple layers of walls is impossible to siege -- no matter the behavior of the siege equipment.

Last world villages with multiple palisades got sieged (see: the Northern Kingdom). It wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible. To my understanding the same was true this world before the archery tower update.

pawnchito wrote:The real opportunity is getting people to go out of their camps and engaging in some good old fashioned passionate ass whoopin' type stuff. I think focusing on getting combat down correctly is going to build on the siege system and make that even more fun.

If only there was a reason to send out warriors instead of naked alts during siege..

You might be right, though. Balancing combat stats and encouraging PVP seems like it should be the priority, unless someone can think of a simple fix to the whole siege thing.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:34 pm

I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand why people who've clearly not interacted with certain mechanics enough to understand them have such strong opinions about them.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand why people who've clearly not interacted with certain mechanics enough to understand them have such strong opinions about them.

indeed. sieging adds 0 value other than being able to wipe the enemy off of the map.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby valeriesusanne » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Woo Hoo! Kicksleddin' is kick-ass!
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand why people who've clearly not interacted with certain mechanics enough to understand them have such strong opinions about them.

Kinda hard to interact with said mechanics when there's no opportunity to do so. :?
My only opinion is that siege ought to be possible. Not easy, not fast. Just possible.

Explain how you would break inside a village with plenty of resources and multiple walls.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (86.94 KiB) Viewed 371 times

wonder-ass wrote:

indeed. sieging adds 0 value other than being able to wipe the enemy off of the map.

Or getting rid of local griefers who are otherwise invulnerable.
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Ants wrote:My only opinion is that siege ought to be possible. Not easy, not fast. Just possible.

You can't determine something is impossible without trying it, or even understanding how it works.
The people in your village or w/e that you're mimicking are either wrong, or exaggerating the effort required and calling it impossible when they themselves have also never made a serious attempted at a siege.

Ants wrote:Kinda hard to interact with said mechanics when there's no opportunity to do so. :?

You exist. Other people exist. Other people have walls. You have the ability to create things that break walls, probably.
I believe in you
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Ants wrote:My only opinion is that siege ought to be possible. Not easy, not fast. Just possible.

You can't determine something is impossible without trying it, or even understanding how it works.
The people in your village or w/e that you're mimicking are either wrong, or exaggerating the effort required and calling it impossible when they themselves have also never made a serious attempted at a siege.

Ants wrote:Kinda hard to interact with said mechanics when there's no opportunity to do so. :?

You exist. Other people exist. Other people have walls. You have the ability to create things that break walls, probably.
I believe in you

Siege takes a long time (32 hours for brick walls, was it?) and unfortunately I'm not willing to spend that amount of time and effort in something that seems guaranteed to fail. I'd also be doing this all on my own because I'm 99% sure no one else is interested in trying again with things as they are. I'm not staying up multiple days just for an experiment..

So how would you break through an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls?
Ants

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Ants wrote:Siege takes a long time (32 hours for brick walls, was it?) and unfortunately I'm not willing to spend that amount of time and effort in something that seems guaranteed to fail. I'd also be doing this all on my own because I'm 99% sure no one else is interested in trying again with things as they are. I'm not staying up multiple days just for an experiment..

So how would you break through an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls?

I buy that, but, like... with that attitude I'm not sure you should be engaging in or winning any sieges. Should an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls be reduced to dust in less than 32 hours? Not convinced it should.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:49 pm

jorb wrote:
Ants wrote:Siege takes a long time (32 hours for brick walls, was it?) and unfortunately I'm not willing to spend that amount of time and effort in something that seems guaranteed to fail. I'd also be doing this all on my own because I'm 99% sure no one else is interested in trying again with things as they are. I'm not staying up multiple days just for an experiment..

I buy that, but, like... with that attitude I'm not sure you should be engaging in or winning any sieges. Should an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls be reduced to dust in less than 32 hours? Not convinced it should.

I shouldn't be engaging or winning any sieges on my own, for sure. It ought to be a team thing. Those who want to siege competent bases have already tried and I don't think they'd be willing to try again just to show me what it's like. Point is, what SnuggleSnail proposed is not a reasonable experiment.

And the time required to siege isn't the big issue. The big issue is that there seems to be no way of breaking through a base with multiple walls without getting shot down.
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Me having a problem with people acting like experts on subjects they blatantly know next to nothing about and making very bold assertions that 99% of the userbase will take at face value has nothing to do with the current state of siege. It's just unbecoming in general, irrespective of the subject.

IDK, dude. I just can't comprehend unironically saying "I'm too lazy to try this thing, therefore it is literally impossible. Anybody who questions my authority on this subject must fully explain every aspect of it to me, or their criticism of me is invalid". Then go on continuing to suggest things regarding said subject, and acting as an authority on it.

I shouldn't be engaging or winning any sieges on my own, for sure. It ought to be a team thing. Those who want to siege competent bases have already tried and I don't think they'd be willing to try again just to show me what it's like.

I assume you mean Headchef/Felix/Friend's attempts on FH, and I assure you that was not* a serious attempt. There have been exactly zero real attempts at sieging faction bases this world, afaik.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements