Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Postby shubla » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Always when I see people discussing siege, I laugh!
Because it is waste of time.
Either siege is so easy that people will just siege everyone.
Or then it's so hard that no one sieges anyone ever( with maybe few, FEW exceptions, but 1 or 2 sieges in the whole world don't really make any meaningful difference)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Me having a problem with people acting like experts on subjects they blatantly know next to nothing about and making very bold assertions that 99% of the userbase will take at face value has nothing to do with the current state of siege. It's just unbecoming in general, irrespective of the subject.

IDK, dude. I just can't comprehend unironically saying "I'm too lazy to try this thing, therefore it is literally impossible. Anybody who questions my authority on this subject must fully explain every aspect of it to me, or their criticism of me is invalid". Then go on continuing to suggest things regarding said subject, and acting as an authority on it.

If you're going to criticize my suggestions, you should probably explain why instead of simply saying "no they're bad". I do think criticism that doesn't provide feedback is bad.

I can't really take you seriously until I get an answer to the "how do you break into a village with multiple walls" question tbh.

I assume you mean Headchef/Felix/Friend's attempts on FH, and I assure you that was on a serious attempt. There have been exactly zero real attempts at siege this world.

Interesting. What makes you say that?
Last edited by Ants on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Agrik » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 pm

jorb wrote:[*] You can now, using a pick-axe, chop away ice, and get an ice block in the process.
Pick-axe is difficult to obtain for a newbie wishing just to get some food by ice fishing, when it's nowhere to get clay in the first place.

Maybe it should be possible to make a hole in the ice with a stone (or metal, as it's not worse) axe as well, but much slower and yielding no ice block? Even a couple of minutes to make a hole is fine, I suppose.
Agrik

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:13 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Ants wrote:Kinda hard to interact with said mechanics when there's no opportunity to do so. :?

You exist. Other people exist. Other people have walls. You have the ability to create things that break walls, probably.
I believe in you

I believe in you, too, Ants! Get some!! :D

I think the current issue is more a volume issue than any other... there just isn't enough volume of players. I hear "too much effort for so few of us" way too often. Either people are copping an excuse to not participate in the mechanics, or they're being real in saying that the risk vs reward for the number of players they can field at any given moment is a serious problem for them. Maybe it's somewhere between those two or something else all together different. I don't know, all I can do is read what's said on the forums (and posted from various discord chats). I will say that, in past worlds, we had videos and stuff posted to the forums to show what was going on. Even if some of it was pretty heavily edited (to not show exploits, to cut down time, or whatever), you could see that people were willing to engage in big fights and attempts at sieges.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Ants wrote:If you're going to criticize my suggestions, you should probably explain why instead of simply saying "no they're bad". I do think criticism that doesn't provide feedback is bad.

I'm not criticizing your suggestion. I'm saying you're not qualified to act like your opinion regarding this has even an ounce of merit.

Ants wrote:Interesting. What makes you say that?

I would need to explain siege to you for you to understand, which seems like a lot of effort.
A good way to put it would be:
1) They played so badly I destroyed their rams with their own catapult
2) They put in so little effort that in spite of the ridiculous economic advantage factions have in this VERY RESOURCE BASED SIEGE SYSTEM they spent like 20 or 28 brimstone in total, when our side bought like 400?500?ish brimstone off of nabs for some random garbage in some random exq chests that nobody would ever notice missing. If things actually got dire WAYYY the frick more brimstone would've been easily obtainable.

All they did was afk in a safe pali for like 20 hours or however long it was and play DoTA on their other monitor. It's honestly comparable to me going afk outside AD for a day with a wrecking ball, then coming back and being like "WTF their walls are still intact? JORB PLS NERF SIEGE IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!"
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Maybe hearthlings could carve an auger from the durable wood of the hearthlands that could drill through the ice to make holes for fishing?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby ip0wnn00bs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:52 pm

@Jorb

Can you make it so you can add a rope to the sled and attach it to a horse? One player can ride the horse while a person or object can be carted around. :D
ip0wnn00bs

Postby Ants » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:42 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
I would need to explain siege to you for you to understand, which seems like a lot of effort.
2) They put in so little effort that in spite of the ridiculous economic advantage factions have in this VERY RESOURCE BASED SIEGE SYSTEM they spent like 20 or 28 brimstone in total, when our side bought like 400?500?ish brimstone off of nabs for some random garbage in some random exq chests that nobody would ever notice missing. If things actually got dire WAYYY the frick more brimstone would've been easily obtainable.

All they did was afk in a safe pali for like 20 hours or however long it was and play DoTA on their other monitor. It's honestly comparable to me going afk outside AD for a day with a wrecking ball, then coming back and being like "WTF their walls are still intact? JORB PLS NERF SIEGE IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!"

If you say so. I wasn't there and there's no video, so I can't comment.

Btw, good job buying 500 brimstone from noobs in such a short time when population peaks at around 300~ players and the last time someone tried buying brim on HH's discord was in march.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby LostJustice » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 am

Except I was the one that shot the catapults don’t take my credit :x but I suppose I did use his character to shoot the rams with I guess. Anyways what Snail says is true. I logged in to help that day and tbh the attempt of the siege was really sad. They just set up rams and catapults expecting the siege to just siege itself in so they could loot and kill people. They made no effort to even remotely make sure the siege would actually work. And as loftar and jorb defines siege, it like chess you make moves and you have options. They simply just built catas and went afk and expected themselves to win the chess match without ever thinking about anything they were doing. I agree sieging is an annoying mechanic but how to rework it or do it personally don’t know. But one thing I do know is that snail definitely has a better idea on siege mechanics and maybe even ways to make it better than you Ants.
LostJustice

Postby algeralith » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:01 am

Ants wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:

If you say so. I wasn't there and there's no video, so I can't comment.

Btw, good job buying 500 brimstone from noobs in such a short time when population peaks at around 300~ players and the last time someone tried buying brim on HH's discord was in march.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong? Too bad Headchef deleted his messages about trying to buy brimstone.
Guess in the end, people would rather sell HH 500 brimstone versus you guys. Really says a lot.
algeralith

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements