Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 pm

It's one of the hardest design challenges we face for sure.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Ants wrote:It's possible you're right. I don't know the details and I wasn't there.

However, all I'm hearing from Snail is that the system is fine as it is and I'm not seeing any answer to the how to break through a base with multiple walls question.

I didn't mean to comment on the siege system at all (although my opinion is very similar to Rawrz's), I just think it's extremely unproductive for people to have strong opinions about things they're unfamiliar with. It's a waste of everybody's time and energy.

Ants wrote:My only opinion is that siege ought to be possible. Not easy, not fast. Just possible.

Explain how you would break inside a village with plenty of resources and multiple walls.

I can't really take you seriously until I get an answer to the "how do you break into a village with multiple walls" question tbh.

Trying to answer this question makes my brain hurt. Push a charged ram up to the wall, right click ram, then press 1?
I'm gonna guess you won't accept the above as an answer because it's too vague, but your question is too vague to answer with any level of specificity.

Like, your question is based on conclusions that are obviously based on an extreme misunderstanding of the fundamentals, but reverse engineering these conclusions to figure out where you went wrong to explain why you're wrong seems like a herculean task.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Siege can't be made feasible because it's too punishing. If infrastructure quality inflation was reigned in, there wouldn't be as much to lose even if you get raided. Ie moving grind from infrastructure to individual items is needed fo this too, as well as making it feasible to join mid-world.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:54 pm

jorb wrote:Would it be fun if there were like... a 24 hour event once every month, when all walls can be bashed?

there would be nobody left to play. id and many others would kill off every lil hermit we come across. it would prob be 24 hours of the strongest faction playing the rest logging off cuz why bother dying ? could make a test world where basicaly there is no q/stat and everything is a lot more fast paced and punishing and see how it goes. instead of grinding quality it would be who gets weapons and gear first to go in siege parties it would be an interesting experience.

(i have a few interesting ideas for this that in my opinion could be pretty fun)
Last edited by wonder-ass on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 pm

wonder-ass wrote:there would be nobody left to play. id and many others would kill off every lil hermit we come across. it would prob be 24 hours of the strongest faction playing the rest logging off cuz why bother dying ? could make a test world where basicaly there is no q/stat and everything is a lot more fast paced and punishing and see how it goes. instead of grinding quality it would be who gets weapons and gear first to go in siege parties it would be an interesting experience.

Ok, but how much of that would be due to the fighting system being sub-par? Wouldn't your own base be under threat while you are away killing hermits?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:59 pm

jorb wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:there would be nobody left to play. id and many others would kill off every lil hermit we come across. it would prob be 24 hours of the strongest faction playing the rest logging off cuz why bother dying ? could make a test world where basicaly there is no q/stat and everything is a lot more fast paced and punishing and see how it goes. instead of grinding quality it would be who gets weapons and gear first to go in siege parties it would be an interesting experience.

Ok, but how much of that would be due to the fighting system being sub-par? Wouldn't your own base be under threat while you are away killing hermits?

why would i care? its gonna get raided regardless i aint staying up 24h to protect it xd
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Archiplex » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 am

jorb wrote:

Perhaps you should consider less that it's 24 hours once per month, and more like 4-8 hours once per week (on a weekend, preferably).

Less so that all walls are bashable by hand, and more something like "Siege weapons instantly charge to max and can be used against anything with no delay upon building".

Basically, the "hour of reckoning" sort of deal that's common in many different games. The issue with 24 hours is that you can't expect an entire community to be up for 24 hours protecting a base- but 4 or 8 hours is much more manageable especially in a game like Hafen.

Also, all this with the possibility of long term sieges still being a thing, of course.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby CTheRain » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:30 am

jorb wrote:It's one of the hardest design challenges we face for sure.

Heavily reduce dry time/remove on siege weapons. Bashable everything. Make archery towers more permanent. Let archery towers only attack people bashing, criminal things and siege weapons. Add in cow armor to drain archery towers. Let archery towers out-range catapults and give the catapults more defense anti-personnel capabilities. Cow armor could be null quality and based off certain hits as well as being sorta expensive. Anything that makes raids active, fun and hard. These suggestions aren't fool proof nor good.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby pawnchito » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:23 am

pawnchito wrote:
jorb wrote:Would it be fun if there were like... a 24 hour event once every month, when all walls can be bashed?

As fun as the Purge sounds, I don't think it would be all that fun to have to miss out on the festivities of trying to keep my shit together if i had a real life commitment that didn't allow me to protect against the sweet trollage that would come with this.

jorb wrote:

I agree the fighting system being overhauled will motivate people to use fighters in sieging hopefully. An even like this without passive defenses to allow for afkage will likely just leade to people not wanting to invest anything in a base that might be void because we got drunk that one day.
pawnchito

Postby jorb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 am

wonder-ass wrote:
jorb wrote:

why would i care? its gonna get raided regardless i aint staying up 24h to protect it xd

The window could be shorter.

That walls are bashable would not be the same as everything is willy-nilly. It could, for example, take a few hours. Though I guess that incentivizes multiple layers in a sub-optimal way.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements