Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kicksleddin' on Thin Ice

Postby Agrik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:What if the event was somewhat player-controlled?
It will be better, I think, if event was defenders-controlled. I think POSes (Player Owned Structures) in EVE work, or worked, so that the time window of vulnerability is inevitable after the siege started, but exact time is set by defenders. I can't remember in what game, maybe it was EVE too, but I doubt, the whole existence of this time window was linked to the production of some significant (but not totally vital) resource. I.e. you can turn off production (or some ability or activity) an be more invulnerable, or have it on and get this vulnerability time windows.

Sooo... I think this idea of a temporary vulnerability may be implemented as applicable only to claims that cover a localized resource ;) , if no one comes with idea of what other resource or activity it can be linked with. Maybe the list of objects should include something else as well, for example, active Charter Stones (but not Sublime porticos). With exact time set by defenders. Though I still doubt it should include activities (hand palibashing) outside of siege mechanics, because the it would further decrease usage of siege mechanics.
Agrik

Postby Frantianno228 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 am

jorb wrote:I mean... let's say it's four hours.

Return palibash. Just like in w7
My discord -> Frantianno#0620
My youtube channel ->
Frantianno228

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 am

Archiplex wrote:Maybe it's a hint that this 'hands off' approach to telling people not to do things such as botting, owning multiple large villages or alt vaulting is doing more harm than good :roll:

From what I've seen over the years, designing for this game is part coming up with something cool, then finding how people abuse it, then trying to hard-code a way they can't abuse it instead of just blanket telling people not to abuse things;

The future scenario: "Don't abuse shit. We'll ban!" <flood of emails later> "Why you guys crying about no new updates? You all wanted us to ban for all this stuff, and now it's taking all of our time to investigate it. In almost every single case, someone claims they're innocent of any wrongdoing or didn't know it was wrong."

You get what you ask for. If you want a dedicated GM squad... well, there isn't one, and isn't going to be one any time soon.

NeoBasilisk wrote:I'm not a fan of bringing back anything resembling palibashing, even if it's a limited event (unless it's at the end of the world or something). If I can log out, and then come back 15 minutes later and there are people inside my base, I'm not a fan of that.

I am only if it includes all buildings, including brick walls. Fuck hearth vaults. Worst thing to ever happen to this game. (Probably not worst as they've never caused a world to be prematurely reset, but close.)

@Zentetsuken: love the idea. Gods should be fickle, though, and no way to easily guess what happens next or when.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 am

Frantianno228 wrote:
jorb wrote:I mean... let's say it's four hours.

Return palibash. Just like in w7

Yea, let us demotivate random new players into rage quit like in the good old times... /s
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby pppp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 am

Make slowmode siege then. Let it last weeks but do not require more attention, both attacker and defender side, than 15 minutes per 24 hours or 30 minutes per 48 hours. Also make sure that these 15 minutes do not fall exactly between 3.55 am and 4.10 am.
What was and is throwing me off from any offensive side siege activity, both Salem and Haven was massive time investment in one go. Time for emptying raided claim counts into the total as well, because what's even a point of breaking into if I have no time to take the spoils.
pppp

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 am

MagicManICT wrote:@Zentetsuken: love the idea. Gods should be fickle, though, and no way to easily guess what happens next or when.

Might be more difficult on the dev side to add randomness to it, but I was also thinking that it should be something we are fighting at all times, and only at this certain time of the year do we have to fight harder. It could sort of act like a failsafe for dead worlds this way. Once the population falls and enough titan villages quit, the gods demands are simply no longer met and the "magic" of the world fades. Claims become meaningless across the board, maybe hearth magic can no longer work? Maybe using a hearth fire even becomes very costly? Or maybe there are different levels of world magic failure?

I think a lot of balance, and potentially even some incentive for people to stick around longer, can be implemented with the simple idea of the world working together to keep or destroy claims. The simple activeness of the world determines its fate.
Zentetsuken

Postby Vigilance » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

god kudos to this patch hat for being the same as several of the other hats this world
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Darkins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm

jorb wrote:
Ants wrote:Siege takes a long time (32 hours for brick walls, was it?) and unfortunately I'm not willing to spend that amount of time and effort in something that seems guaranteed to fail. I'd also be doing this all on my own because I'm 99% sure no one else is interested in trying again with things as they are. I'm not staying up multiple days just for an experiment..

So how would you break through an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls?

I buy that, but, like... with that attitude I'm not sure you should be engaging in or winning any sieges. Should an active village with plenty of resources and multiple walls be reduced to dust in less than 32 hours? Not convinced it should.

im sorry...
But thats are empty words.
In previous worlds alot of active villages with plenty resources and multiple walls was raided and destroyed, included mine.THAT WAS GREAT TIME =_=
Hokage of Hidden Leaf Village
Darkins

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Darkins wrote:Right now, there are no Siedge , no PvP , no FUN.
Look at player count, how many people there playing? Thats the people that you try to protect from "siedge".All other people already gone, till next world, Hopefully world full of FUN

They could lay the world open to everyone by making walls with 0 soak, or allowing brick walls and palisades to be bashable by hand, and we'd still be at 100 players online. I think there were just slightly more than this w3 at the time of the reset. But that was... 9 years ago. Who am I to recall some trivial statistic with any amount of accuracy after that long?

You can post your dreams all day long, but it still won't come true. People, on average, don't play Haven for the PvP. They want the simple virtual life sim. If there is ever a decent combat system and the bugs and exploits are ever worked, I may well be right there with you fighting (on one side or the other), but until that time, I'll be happy with simply enjoying this virtual life.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Darkins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm

MagicManICT wrote:They could lay the world open to everyone by making walls with 0 soak, or allowing brick walls and palisades to be bashable by hand, and we'd still be at 100 players online. I think there were just slightly more than this w3 at the time of the reset. But that was... 9 years ago. Who am I to recall some trivial statistic with any amount of accuracy after that long?

You can post your dreams all day long, but it still won't come true. People, on average, don't play Haven for the PvP. They want the simple virtual life sim. If there is ever a decent combat system and the bugs and exploits are ever worked, I may well be right there with you fighting (on one side or the other), but until that time, I'll be happy with simply enjoying this virtual life.

good point.
Im just one of those who play haven for its permadeth pvp and politics, and want to see more of that in the game :3
Confirmed best ninja in the game
Hokage of Hidden Leaf Village
Darkins

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements