Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:54 pm

wonder-ass wrote:attacks should be more fluent no forced animations in place.

What does "fluent" mean? If you mean the attack should trigger immediately upon pressing the key, then every auto-aimed attack would automatically hit. There's no point to aim-based attacks at that point.
wonder-ass wrote:less spam moves. attacks should be well thought out and not spammed like we have rn in the test server.

This is indeed one of the issues that we felt with the system as well, but we're less sure what a "well thought out" attack would actually do differently.

Fostik wrote:Feeling a quite hard lag between my real action and resulting action in game. Looks like this feature code works really slow.

Or you just have a relatively high ping to the server, which is indeed one of the things we fear is a problem.

CaveHermit wrote:XD That shooting should be deleted and maybe combat will be good :P

What does that mean? Are you referring to the animation, or what? Is combat good if we remove the animation?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Archiplex » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:55 pm

DPblH wrote:
Added plum stockpile.

Why just to not add generic fruit stockpile? Like we have for stones or flowers for example.

Oh, to add to this: Would be cool if variant stockpiles adopted the model of whatever it's composed of, too. i.e a stone stockpile made of gniess would look like what currently exists, but one of basalt would look black- and a mixture would look partially black/partially grey
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:56 pm

DPblH wrote:
Added plum stockpile.

Why just to not add generic fruit stockpile? Like we have for stones or flowers for example.

Because more individual stockpiles look nicer?
loftar

Postby CaveHermit » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 pm

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:attacks should be more fluent no forced animations in place.

What does "fluent" mean? If you mean the attack should trigger immediately upon pressing the key, then every auto-aimed attack would automatically hit. There's no point to aim-based attacks at that point.
wonder-ass wrote:less spam moves. attacks should be well thought out and not spammed like we have rn in the test server.

This is indeed one of the issues that we felt with the system as well, but we're less sure what a "well thought out" attack would actually do differently.

Fostik wrote:Feeling a quite hard lag between my real action and resulting action in game. Looks like this feature code works really slow.

Or you just have a relatively high ping to the server, which is indeed one of the things we fear is a problem.

CaveHermit wrote:XD That shooting should be deleted and maybe combat will be good :P

What does that mean? Are you referring to the animation, or what? Is combat good if we remove the animation?

between us you was trying fight in that combat when running? i think no its rly impossible to shot anyone with move cursor on him or shift + attack when he running its just impossible.
[*]You attack in the direction of your mouse cursor. should be deleted and combat will look same just one opening. So that combat is bad for haven imo
CaveHermit

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 pm

with fluent i mean no stopping of movement. imagine being followed 2v6 and every attack you do you stops you for 1/3 seconds thats a quick death.
Last edited by wonder-ass on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Archiplex wrote:I am curious how you plan to tackle people who opt to just 'run' from combat, given the delay on most attacks means engaging people sort of requires them to try and fight back.

In Salem, we had an attack that in itself included a fast "jump" towards the destination (and corresponding stun period if you missed to keep it from being just a faster way to move around than walking), so I'd imagine we would add something like that.
loftar

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 pm

wonder-ass wrote:with fluent i mean no stopping of movement. imagine being followed 2v6 and every attack you do you stops you for 1/3 seconds thats a quick death.

Well again, if the attack is instantaneous, then given auto-aiming, there's literally no point to the attacks being aim-based, no? The wind-up delays are what makes it meaningful.
loftar

Postby DPblH » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:59 pm

loftar wrote:
DPblH wrote:
Added plum stockpile.

Because more individual stockpiles look nicer?

When will we get stockpiles for persimmons? 2042?
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:59 pm

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:with fluent i mean no stopping of movement. imagine being followed 2v6 and every attack you do you stops you for 1/3 seconds thats a quick death.

Well again, if the attack is instantaneous, then given auto-aiming, there's literally no point to the attacks being aim-based, no? The forced delays are what makes it meaningful.

there could be a delay with out stopping of movement.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Frantianno228 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:59 pm

U guys dont need to create new combat systems.
U guys need to return LEGACY combat system.
My discord -> Frantianno#0620
My youtube channel ->
Frantianno228

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements