Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Postby azrid » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:57 am

I like how the system feels.
I would like to see less spamming abilities and more visibility on the range and shape of a combat move hitbox.
azrid

Postby Fostik » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Forbid stats changing in test server, it ruins random fights tests
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 pm

I think there's potential for a great combat system here, but only if the devs are willing to work on it till it's ready, not just make a few tweaks and give up like they did the last time. This is going to need a lot of trial and error before it's playable. Otherwise, I suggest you just bring back Legacy combat and be done with it.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on the current build:

1. Lack of viable attacks against fleeing targets. There need to be attacks whose (range)>(its cast time)*(opponent speed) or anyone can escape combat at any moment by just clicking away.
2. Left Hook. Clearly overpowered, LH spam beats anything else because of it's quick cast time. Considering it's supposed to be a quick interrupt, increasing its cooldown or cast time would render it useless, so I suggest reducing its range instead, from 2 tiles to 0.5 tiles. That way in order to use the attack one would have to close the distance with the opponent first.
3. Punch. Lacks range to be effective against Left Hook and I would argue against Kick too. Can't possibly hit a fleeing target with it. Increase the range from 2.5 tiles to 3.
4. Kick. I see it as a defensive move that can counter an opponent trying to close distance with you. Fine at that.
5. Chop. Too slow, too short. Also deals too little damage. I see this attack as a finisher, rather than something you try to make opening with, so IMO there's no reason for it to be harder to land than let's say Punch. Higher damage will be compensated by longer cooldown and IP cost or even a reduced attack weight. Creating opening is already hard enough no need to make dealing damage extra hard.
6. Quick Dodge. Broken, can be spammed with no window of opportunity for the attacker to hit. I don't see how this ability can be fixed without introducing individual ability cooldowns. Maybe make Quick Dodge into what it sounds like - character dashes in the direction of cursor for 2-3 tiles.
7. Jump. Fine as it is, although it doesn't seem to be interrupted by Left Hook not sure if intedned or not.
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby HasseKebab » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm

wtb test server.

I also agree with Pan_w_okularach's statement on restorations, restorations should actually make your character move in a certain direction or whatever the ability itself implies.
HasseKebab

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:04 am

loftar wrote:
DPblH wrote:
Added plum stockpile.

Why just to not add generic fruit stockpile? Like we have for stones or flowers for example.

Because more individual stockpiles look nicer?

I do believe, DPbIH meant, "why can't you add generic fruit stockpile WHILE working on individual?" Because more indidual stockpiles have one requirement to look nicer - they should exist. So, as example,olive stockpile can't look nicer of said reasons
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Vigilance » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 am

i wonder how bad this combat system could be with custom client powercreep
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Granger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Vigilance wrote:i wonder how bad this combat system could be with custom client powercreep

[X] watch bots play the game
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Artemiswhb » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:18 pm

Granger wrote:
Vigilance wrote:i wonder how bad this combat system could be with custom client powercreep

[X] watch bots play the game

How is that any different than now? :roll: You can already have bots fight for you. No matter what changes, you can always bot everything to some extent
Artemiswhb

Postby Duncan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm

if this Combat system is used you need to add a autopilot of some sort because i am the only one in my Village of 3 people who fights
and if the miner [who does not like to fight] wants to mine in safety he will have to learn another more complicated system.

Even if autopilot crap for pvp as long as it's ok for pve that works for me

On a side note i think the new system has potential.
Duncan

Postby Vigilance » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:07 pm

yeah but the difference of a bot knowing exact timing iwndows to dodge/interrupt abilities is a lot meaner than the bot knowing when to cleave or reduce openings

and i dont think ANYONE uses combat bots now in pvp
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements