Game Development: Snekkja

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Snekkja

Postby MadNomad » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Lyrroth wrote:
DeadlyPencil wrote:these new boats will make early game boat combat even worse than before. this world there was at least a delay before people got knarrs and you were gonna die if caught in a rowboat. Now they are going to have these within days. a noobs dinky little row boat is never going to be able to outrun them back to their base. Try and juke them and get into their boat? doesn't work because you dont have a key.

You should ahve just made knarrs same speed as rowboats in shallow water and that would have fixed boats.

Since you already made thsi boat, make it so ALL boats go approx speed in shallow water. Then this boat is faster in deep water, then knaarrs faster in oceans. noobs should be able to boat around shallow water and not have boats gaining speed on them rediculously

do you even play this game? both knarrs and skkenja take almost the same amount of time to build from world start. nothing changes really here.

except the cost :roll:
MadNomad

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:59 pm

abilities needs to be more clear, you have no clue what moves the enemy is using. you could animate every attack but to make it actually distinguishable some move art above their head would work just fine. everyone at all times should show what moves they are about to use not just the people you have aggro too at that moment.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:09 pm

wonder-ass wrote: everyone at all times should show what moves they are about to use

Is it just me, or does this seem completely counter to everything done in games since the invention of games?

@jorb/loftar:
wonder-ass wrote:not just the people you have aggro too at that moment.

And I'm trying to leave this whole combat thing to those that have experience with it in Haven, but if this is a thing... why? Do you broadcast your moves in chess... or any other game for that matter?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MrPunchers » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Fighting with people feels p rhythm based tbh and it's kinda cool. A parry for mc that moves you backwards to predict would act like a foil to the lunges and would fit I think. Movement based combat based on predictions and hit boxes would be fresh, but I'm adverse to defensive/offensive moves that give you speed because they'd be used in a chase, and saying "oh you have to be x distance from target to use it" seems a lil arbitrary (what distance is enough) and abusable with alts like IP stacking used to be.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby MrPunchers » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
wonder-ass wrote: everyone at all times should show what moves they are about to use

Is it just me, or does this seem completely counter to everything done in games since the invention of games?

@jorb/loftar:
wonder-ass wrote:not just the people you have aggro too at that moment.

And I'm trying to leave this whole combat thing to those that have experience with it in Haven, but if this is a thing... why? Do you broadcast your moves in chess... or any other game for that matter?

In combat based off of reactions and hitboxes (think of LoL) requires to be able to see what the enemy is doing, or at least know what they did. If I was playing LoL and didn't see hitbox outlines or ability channeling or attack animations the game would be retard mode.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Go for the Jugular. By far the most powerful attack atm, which would be fine as it's easily interruptible. The problem is when it's interrupted there's no cooldown after, so nothing stops you from doing it again while your opponent is on cooldown. I think the general rule should be if your move is interrupted you still get to wait the cooldown. Also, the wind-up time on Jugular is too short, it feels like it's the same as punch or chop which is imbalanced.

Haymaker. A strong attack. Surprisingly not overpowered, it's easy to miss if your opponent doesnt stand still. Fine for now.

Chop. Still impossible to land it on an opponent(short range, long wind-up time), still does too little damage, especially comparing to the new unarmed attacks. It should either be easy to hit with and do decent damage or hard to hit with but do GREAT damage. Right now it's impossible to hit/underwhelming damage.
Kick. Made obsolete by Jugular. Wind-up time is long, it's really hard to pull it off on an opponent, and if you manage to there's little reward - low damage, low attack weight, long cooldown. Some buff is reqired, maybe add a stunning efect? Kick is impossible to use offensively, so the usual concerns about introducing stuns to the game shouldn't apply here.

Quick Dodge. Blocks the damage, but doesn't affect opening. Don't know why anyone would use it right now: you just let your opponent increase your opening - what for? Yes, you can block the damage then hit your opponent while he's on cooldown, but then you're on cooldown yourself and you still got the opening from the first attack.

Jump. Still uninterruptible. If your opponent is not interested in fighting back, pretty much can just spam it and keep the opening low. IMO the game should be if you manage to break the distance with the opponent then you get to remove your opening, it shouldn't be pressing a key makes your opening go away.
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Pan_w_okularach wrote:Chop. Still impossible to land it on an opponent(short range, long wind-up time), still does too little damage, especially comparing to the new unarmed attacks. It should either be easy to hit with and do decent damage or hard to hit with but do GREAT damage. Right now it's impossible to hit/underwhelming damage.Kick. Made obsolete by Jugular. Wind-up time is long, it's really hard to pull it off on an opponent, and if you manage to there's little reward - low damage, low attack weight, long cooldown. Some buff is reqired, maybe add a stunning efect? Kick is impossible to use offensively, so the usual concerns about introducing stuns to the game shouldn't apply here.

agree chop needs a bigger hitbox ive seen it clip through people and still not hit them wind up is fine as it is.
its close to impossible to use kick on haymakers and you need to be really good at timing it for jugg lowered wind up should make it more usuable vs jugg/haymaker.

wonder-ass

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:50 am

MrPunchers wrote:In combat based off of reactions and hitboxes (think of LoL) requires to be able to see what the enemy is doing, or at least know what they did. If I was playing LoL and didn't see hitbox outlines or ability channeling or attack animations the game would be retard mode.

Sure. I agree with that. You see what the opponent is doing via animation and knowing what the various characters are, their actions, etc, and can make some predictions based on that. Same holds true in chess and many other games. Based on what information you've seen, you can make some predictions. I probably should log in to the test and see how things work because I do do some hunting in game. I just hate to give my "feel" of it if it interferes with a good PvP combat system. The PvE can always be worked around the PvP (and should). That said, what wonder-ass said just seemed completely off from what I expect. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:12 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
MrPunchers wrote:In combat based off of reactions and hitboxes (think of LoL) requires to be able to see what the enemy is doing, or at least know what they did. If I was playing LoL and didn't see hitbox outlines or ability channeling or attack animations the game would be retard mode.

Sure. I agree with that. You see what the opponent is doing via animation and knowing what the various characters are, their actions, etc, and can make some predictions based on that. Same holds true in chess and many other games. Based on what information you've seen, you can make some predictions. I probably should log in to the test and see how things work because I do do some hunting in game. I just hate to give my "feel" of it if it interferes with a good PvP combat system. The PvE can always be worked around the PvP (and should). That said, what wonder-ass said just seemed completely off from what I expect. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

the combat lacks good animation to distinguish attacks. some art that pops above their head when they use an abilitie is simple and works.
he could also spend stupid amounts of time making good distinguishable animations but thats up to jorb.
wonder-ass

Postby Vigilance » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:21 pm

legacy combat instead of this combat when
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements