Game Development: Snekkja

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Snekkja

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Vigilance wrote:legacy combat instead of this combat when

you could just build it on wurm and let this game die
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 pm

jorb wrote:
Vigilance wrote:legacy combat instead of this combat when

you could just build it on wurm and let this game die

I see now that even words can wound the gods...

at least this game has a better combat system than wurm
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 pm

??
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:47 pm

jordancoles wrote:??

In some other thread vig told someone else who was making a ... pyramid or something to build it on wurm and let haven die instead.

Jorb took at least 20 points of pride damage when he read the post. Still hasn't healed.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:18 am

@wonder-ass: thanks for the explanation. Still seems a bit too much, but compared with what other games do, I'm probably overreacting.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:37 am

How do I unlock combat moves and the rage skill on the test server?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 am

jordancoles wrote:How do I unlock combat moves and the rage skill on the test server?

Don't need rage to aggro others on the test server.

You should already have the skills that are testable by default on spawning in, though.

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 am

I like the combat system but some of the moves are just too hard to land

Chops are really hard to connect for some reason and kick is too low dmg to be useful if you were to ever actually land it in the first place in real pvp

Blue punch is super useful but very easy to land.

Haymaker can be alternated with go for the jugular atm to naruto run forever without hitting a cooldown. It's sorta cool, but probably not intended

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:03 am

jordancoles wrote:Haymaker can be alternated with go for the jugular atm to naruto run forever without hitting a cooldown. It's sorta cool, but probably not intended

To add to this, it looks like the reason for this is that attacks only give a cooldown after 'launching' rather than after button press.

On the flip side, it sort of lets you 'feint' attacks such as doing the startup for jugular and canceling into a haymaker (to screw up enemies trying to time an attack to interrupt jugular for example) as well as long windup attacks like kick into left hook

Buut.. because the cooldown doesn't happen for Jugular unless you literally hit something (it doesn't give a cooldown if you hit nothing- bug?), and no cooldown until haymaker finishes the sprint/hits something, it means you can infinitely chain them together into a naruto run that costs 0 stamina.

IMO, keep the 'feint' thing that exists but just make jugular/haymaker give a cooldown as soon as the ability is over

Alternatively, adding per-skill cooldowns would fix both of the above without needing to make the system more complicated... and would allow for a much cooler move design system... :P

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:18 am

jorb wrote:you could just build it on wurm and let this game die

stop making this game fight me at every single action so i don't feel genuinely discouraged from playing past the "fun" point. at least if the server pop drops to a grand total 10 you guys would realize that something needs to change fast.

boreworms, slimes... bad ore gen... l9 minehole needing a gatekept resource by bigdogs (as is destiny, forever, now...) mine support damage... ""unlucky"" feasting sessions resulting in "Guzzle these drinks now or you're going to fuck yourself harder than you can stand to cope with..." little things that just add up and tear down my sanity, and when there's nothing realistically "fun" to do, still, it's easier to just drop everything since the infinite ql grind masturbation isn't fun and i can only smelt so many thousand cast iron bars per day before I lose my mind.

i'd love to have given you a well thought out critique but unfortunately this game is so far out of my mind and i doubt i can get more than one major victory per world out of y'all.

love you and freddie both dearly but this new combat system is definitely not going to be my style. if i wanted to play a weird half-assed moba I'd do that.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements