Game Development: Snekkja

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Snekkja

Postby jorb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Redlaw wrote:Can the new boat be attached to docks like knarrs?

Yes. Updated OP.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby xzo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm

cool things !
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 pm

loftar wrote:
Archiplex wrote:I'm getting the feeling this is uh, not how the test is supposed to work

Did you just have all those moves available to you? Because I can't reproduce myself on the test server.

Yes. Image

The entire library is available to me (and was from the start; when i first started combat, as you can see in the earlier picture, all my moves seemed to have just been based alphabetically.)

The person I was practicing with also didn't have Go for the Jugular in their base deck.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby xzo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 pm

does realm buff on knarrs apply to Snekkja ?

edit: I dont see why it would but I would like you to think it makes sense, and to make it so, to make everyone jumpin happy :D
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby loftar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 pm

There, I think I've found and fixed the deck availability bug now.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Mary_CZ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm

New boat is cute, can it be locked?
Mary_CZ

Postby CaveHermit » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Mary_CZ wrote:New boat is cute, can it be locked?

yes it can be
Btw imo combat will be 1000000x better without shooting skils i dont image that i fight 10v10 and i have to do shot skills and stop bcs i will get block and killed
CaveHermit

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:26 pm

loftar wrote:There, I think I've found and fixed the deck availability bug now.

My deck only has the cards i'm supposed to have, so whatever you did must've worked!

Go for the Jugular has been implemented as a target seeking attack that propels you forward toward your opponent. It is interrupted by hits. You are slowed for a duration after the attack, regardless of wheter it hits.

I quite like this, although a couple things: The cooldown is set on 'launch' rather than on 'hit', which is odd, since it means if you hit someone very close to you, you have to wait quite a while before doing anything- but if you use it to chase someone very far away, then the cooldown is basically just about over.

Still think that introducing per-skill cooldowns is a smarter idea than overall increasing cooldowns for abilities though. But I like the new additions! Very excited to see what more abilities are added.

I also like the idea of mixing 'autoaim' abilities like Jugular with aim-based abilities too.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Groniak » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 pm

xzo wrote:does realm buff on knarrs apply to Snekkja ?

edit: I dont see why it would but I would like you to think it makes sense, and to make it so, to make everyone jumpin happy :D

Considering the description of the realm blessing Marriage of the sea, it should: It says that SHIPS are built at a higher quality, it's just that Knarr used to be the only ship with quality ;)
Groniak

Postby Archiplex » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 pm

You never said quick dodge interacted with archery!
https://streamable.com/qwy09

I know i'm an archery shill but I want to at least bring up the idea of balancing archery with the new changes.

Especially with the two new moves, archery is actually pretty easy to smooth into this system! Right now though (especially after the various nerfs to smash it into the ground..), it's pretty much useless.

Simply put, bows aim too slowly. A 100q bow with 100 marksmanship aims ridiculously slowly, and with the huge new focus on running around in combat and having ways to close your distance on a target, there's no real way to use archery in pvp combat (and if animals have attacks like that..). I think primarily the cause of this is the change that was added in this world

The aim speed of ranged weapons now scales with the ratio of the geometric mean of your Marksmanship and Perception values to the bow's quality. You, thus, need higher values of perception and marksmanship to use higher quality bows.
Lowered base damages of ranged weapons, but increased their armor penetration.

This, combined with the geometric formula of the aim meter (You will never hit 100%. You will be lucky if you hit above 95%.), means that effective archery is a bit... well, nearly impossible to attain.

Now, it's been a long time since I did my tests, so some of my information might be out of date. Damage of bows used to be the percentage multiplied with itself. For example, a bow at 90% meter would deal (.9*.9 =) 81% damage, and while that seems "good", it also means aiming to 50% deals 25% damage, and aiming to 50%/70% takes a long time on a quality-equivalent bow. Not to mention with the new combat system, players are MUCH more likely to miss, or be forced to attack faster as their pursuer gains ground.

So, I suggest removing the quality/stat speed dependency, raising aim speed overall and increasing bow range overall (I noticed this like... NEVER got fixed. Bow maximum range was supposed to be based off of essence, but was always static at 17 tiles, and this world isn't any different), and splitting the three (four?) archery tools into distinct categories

Slings: Early game, very short range, aims super fast; doesn't do much damage, but high armor pen.
Bows: 'Shortbows'. Aims fast, decent range, meant to be the type of 'bow' you move and shoot constantly with in combat. Low armor pen.
Ranger's Bow: 'Longbow'. Aims slow, but deals incredible (way higher than current bows) damage, and has incredibly high armor pen, but also extremely high range. The type of bow someone sits at the edge of combat with, trying to pick people off with ranged support/archery support from a nearby boat.

As a side note, I think shields should more or less be a very 'hard' counter to bows; possibly greatly reducing the damage any ranged weapon deals (before armor reduction), or having special combat moves/stances that allow the bearer to negate archery attacks and reduce opening gained from melee attacks for a long duration, while still being able to move slowly.

Also! Bows should have a tiny delay before shooting (with an animation, of course. Something like holding the bow 'down' when aiming, and lifting/shooting it after clicking), but 'track' a little better, in order to encourage timing quick dodge/moving away from the aiming direction at the last moment. More interplay, yay!

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements