Game Development: Nothing but Testing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Nothing but Testing

Postby abt79 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 am

Granger wrote:That might be possible. But should that actually be the case these people would be the perfect target audience for private servers, giving them a private world where they won't be cut down by others, effectively turning a game that isn't for them into one that is.

And these kind of players happily harvesting in private worlds wouldn't affect the main server population anyway, simply because the main server isn't a game they'll continue to play (the moment they realize that they accidently started with the 'wrong' game) anyway.

Are you seriously suggesting a no-PVP private server? Do you even understand the idea behind the game you've spent years playing? I'd recommend another read of jorb's classic work, "Developer Thoughts on PVP" (http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710)
abt79

Postby Granger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 am

Zentetsuken wrote:
Granger wrote:And these kind of players happily harvesting in private worlds wouldn't affect the main server population anyway, simply because the main server isn't a game they'll continue to play (the moment they realize that they accidently started with the 'wrong' game) anyway.

Giving J&L the chore of whatever work is involved in setting up the ability for people to create private servers seems like something that would affect the main server population pretty dramatically. Doesn't sound worth it to spend time pacifying a bunch of people that only bring opinions and input to the table that go against the grain of the main direction of the game.

I can understand that some dislike this idea as it could reduce the amount of 'NPC' waiting to be slain.

I trust loftar to be able to automate the chore involved with ease as there are quite some nice tools available these days to manage fleets of basically identical systems, which will put the amount of work (apart from setting up the automation, once) likely somewhere around O(log log n). Hence: The overhead of running multiple servers is a non-issue - while offering private servers could be an interesting revenue source, when pricing them on a reasonable level.

abt79 wrote:Are you seriously suggesting a no-PVP private server?

No, I didn't suggest that.

Just pointed out, quite seriously, that the ability to obtain a private server would likely make the game compatible with humans that lack the mental traits (or defects, depending on perspective) needed to cope with what's going on on 'the server'. Simply as these could deterministically decide with whom to play, eg. decide to not have the kind of user who runs around deriving 'fun' from inflicting pain and destruction onto others (while botting the shit out of the game to skip the non-'fun' parts). Or someone could even decide to not invite others to have a single-player version of the game, a request that has been made repeatedly in the past.

So while such a private server might in practice be non-PvP... this wouldn't stem from running with different rules but from running with different users.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby borka » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:51 am

A big pro for private servers would be independence from language and timezone barriers ... and i guess you'd see much more euro players playing again ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby jock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Archiplex wrote:
maze wrote:can you add some pokeballs to summon animals/monster in Valhalla. It would be nice to test PvE. maybe some dummys too? and/or maybe something to summon a dungeon?

Something like this would be really nice.

jock wrote:
peanutzrgud wrote:And for those of you who are not pvp and enjoy the peaceful hermit experience, we have......?

Private servers in the works.

i do not deny this statement

Hopefully

I know i'm like, semi-hypocritical here since I do it with archery too, but is the only thing you talk about private servers?
jock

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm

borka wrote:A big pro for private servers would be independence from language and timezone barriers ... and i guess you'd see much more euro players playing again ...

What..?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby bmjclark » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Im just going to go with the theory that granger was being a terrible mod on purpose to drive everyone to discord so there'd be no one left to tell him his ideas are terrible.

To the combat system, it seems you've already half implemented legacies combat, maybe we should just go back to that. :)
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:32 am

Granger wrote:I can understand that some dislike this idea as it could reduce the amount of 'NPC' waiting to be slain.

Nice strawman. :lol:

Granger wrote:I trust loftar to be able to automate the chore involved with ease as there are quite some nice tools available these days to manage fleets of basically identical systems, which will put the amount of work (apart from setting up the automation, once) likely somewhere around O(log log n). Hence: The overhead of running multiple servers is a non-issue - while offering private servers could be an interesting revenue source, when pricing them on a reasonable level.

Just pointed out, quite seriously, that the ability to obtain a private server would likely make the game compatible with humans that lack the mental traits (or defects, depending on perspective) needed to cope with what's going on on 'the server'. Simply as these could deterministically decide with whom to play, eg. decide to not have the kind of user who runs around deriving 'fun' from inflicting pain and destruction onto others (while botting the shit out of the game to skip the non-'fun' parts). Or someone could even decide to not invite others to have a single-player version of the game, a request that has been made repeatedly in the past.

So while such a private server might in practice be non-PvP... this wouldn't stem from running with different rules but from running with different users.

So you want loftar to spend time researching and learning new tools to create the ability for other people to play on private servers, therefore opening up a whole new endless stream of support issues, balance concerns and content suggestions that impede his ability to focus on the main server. Do you even read what you type anymore or does it just hemorrhage out completely unfiltered? You are in shubla territory with this shit, boy.
Zentetsuken

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
Granger wrote:I can understand that some dislike this idea as it could reduce the amount of 'NPC' waiting to be slain.

Nice strawman. :lol:

I admit that it's partly made from straw, but the core is quite solid.
The main argument that had been brought forward against multiple servers is that this would reduce the per-server concurrent user numbers (as of the simple math of users/servers) with the loudest the ones neing the ones who also argue for more interaction (which, according to them, seems to be more PvP and more permadeath).

So you want

I entertain the thought of private servers to explore the possibilites and consequences, which is quite different to want.

While you seem to fear the population on the main (currently: only) server reducing... I brave the perspective of tapping into the potential market of the several hundred million farmville/havest moon/$casualgame players for whom Haven in the existing multiplayer incarnation is a no-no. A no-no which these current casuals might reconcider should they get hooked hard enough by a pleasant single player (or private server with a group of friends) experience, so these could as well lead to the main server seeing way more users.

But that can only happen in case they start to play the game at all, which they currently don't (as the number prove) since the triangle of permadeath, open PvP and long character progression isn't compatible with the average gamer. Which having private servers could somewhat fix by removing the open PvP, but not through removing it as a game mechanic but through it simply not happening as they would play with their friends (instead of being exposed to a horde of faceless bored unknown guys who get off from making others suffer for the lulz).

loftar to spend time researching and learning new tools to create the ability for other people to play on private servers,

My educated guess is that learning how to use eg. mussh (in case he dosn't know this exists by now, which would surprise me a little) would take him about 15 minutes, tops, and he would have what he needs to deploy from git (which they do, AFAIK) onto an arbirary number of servers in parallel.

therefore opening up a whole new endless stream of support issues, balance concerns and content suggestions

Former and latter scale with the amount of active users, the only way to avoid this is by not attracting new users. Nothing we should strive for.

Balance issues are there anyway as all servers would run the same build, so that part is moot.

that impede his ability to focus on the main server.

You seem to have missed that the code on all servers would be identical, the only difference would be that additional private ones would only allow a subset of all accounts to login - which is a simple database lookup that loftar is able to write, test and deploy in under one hour. While the interface for the private server owner to modify the list of allowed accounts would take a moment longer... using a web framework would make short work out of this (or, for a shitty but quick interface, he could tap into the forums friends and foe lists).

I don't see this impeding his ability to focus on the main server. While it might take a bit of effort to set it up the long run would be quite the opposite: private servers would have a price tag, leading to (possibly plenty) more revenue, leading to being able to offload the boring parts that have to be done (like maintenance of the underlying server software platform, testing and customer service) to hired underlings - also possibly removing things like jorb working another job (as he stated a short time ago), which he likely wouldn't do if all bills would be paid with excess to burn on coke and hookers (or bibles, or whatever racks his boat).

So no, I think your perspective on private servers isn't wide enough.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Archiplex » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am

I wasn't going to respond to the private server things because it is, as others have said, one of the quickest ways to kill this game. But it looks like for some reason you want to entertain the idea longer, so let me chime in, too.

My educated guess is that learning how to use eg. mussh (in case he dosn't know this exists by now, which would surprise me a little) would take him about 15 minutes, tops, and he would have what he needs to deploy from git (which they do, AFAIK) onto an arbirary number of servers in parallel.

I don't know what you know about running servers, and while I can't speak for the specific netcode of htis game, it isn't something that would take about 15 minutes. Now, I doubt it'll be as long and complicated to figure out (and more just to actually spend time to develop), but there are a LOT of decisions to be made about private server hosting. The first decision would come into *how* someone would structure a 'private server' based system- and yes, there's more than one.

For one, some devs don't like the idea of selling their codebase or selling the server files for their game- for these companies, they often have to set up a business deal with ANOTHER company to set up a system of server hosting, where the consumer can rent servers on a monthly basis- now, doing this also necessarily implies creating a robust administrative system and testing environment for people who do buy servers- and as we can see with the slow development of the test server, even that sort of thing is often fairly slow to develop. Examples of this are games like Scum (I'm not certain but I imagine Wurm Unlimited and Life is Feudal (Your Own) have similar systems, but i've never looked into server hosting for them)

The alternative to above that still ensures players dont particularly have great access over the server files for a theoretical private server is a single player/p2p system where players have a localized world they can play on 'offline' and can connect to another person's world through a peer to peer network- although this one implies a lot less control is on the hands of the players, it would arguably be the simplest to design after creating a seperate system for player-hosted worlds and localized character data.

I HIGHLY doubt they'd want to, but they could also restructure the current system and, essentially, give out the files for the game on the server side and have people just become able to host their own haven clones- but this seems pretty goddamned unlikely. It'd be neat, I guess, as people would be able to essentially develop the game in whatever direction they want- but like, do you seriously think this is a smart financial decision for them to let loose the game in a way they can't profit off of? I can see it if they abandoned the game entirely, i guess.

The third option aside, now you also have new issues brought up on by doing this: One, your playerbase has split. There are people, right now, who play and while they dislike pvp, are willing to bare it. I imagine these people would also quickly swap over to a private server without pvp- and you'd also have the issue of people who just leave to play with their friends. The fact that you can play on non-pvp servers does not suddenly mean you will tap into this incredible market of farmville players because this game is NOT designed for that sort of gameplay loop- in fact this game BARELY has a gameplay loop as is, other than watching the same number rise higher and higher- and it completely lacks the charm, well-polished nature and progression system that those other 'casual gamers' adore for the titles you've named.

The second glaring issues is that now you have TWO (or more!) seperate communities that each desire different things and wish to see the game develop in different directions that are each impacted by the various 'rules' their servers utilize- a non-pvp version of hafen, quite simply, cannot be developed in the same way a pvp version can be. This same shit happened in Wurm and it has still remained an issue for a long ass time- WU is absolutely fucking barren- it has less overall players throughout ALL OF THE SERVERS THAT EXIST than hafen does right now on a daily basis- and Wurm had a much larger playerbase to begin with.

There are so many more things I could say about this but just stop. Private servers are the worst fucking way this game could develop for a myriad of reasons- splitting dev focus, burdening devs with even more system restructuring, and given how it's taken them over a month just to get the beginnings of a new combat system out, it would take them far, far longer just to build up the framework for a private server system. It's even more egrigious than just a 'two server' system that you suggested a long time ago (which fyi, i think is also awful, but not quite as awful as individual private servers)

Learn from the mistakes of other similar games that have gone down this road and failed. Private servers are not a solution to any problem and are the pipe dream of people who hate other players in this game.

if this is tl;dr: GOOD. The entire length of this is just to prove the point that hosting a private server isn't just as simple as flicking a switch or spending 15 minutes learning a new function for code, and takes a lot of effort beyond even just structuring it.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Lyrroth » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 am

the only moment private server makes sense is when official project is coming to an end.
Lyrroth

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements